Photo

Anyone interested in OFF Meet for Early Softwater?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

Well, title says all. I haven't been fishing for longer than I remember, and am dying to go fishing.
Is anyone on the board willing to go meet up somewhere as soon as things start melting? I'm thinking probably perch or crappie. (Preferrably Crappie :?)

Location and Time and everything we'll decide closer to when we know the ice is going to melt .

Hope you guys are interested ~

#2 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:11 AM

put me down for crappie.
can't wait for the spring run.
been too long :?

#3 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

I'd be down for this, and good thing it would prob be couple months before the tournament/ derby being scheduled. Def interested.

#4 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

Posted Image

my girlfriend will own us all in crappie fishing!

#5 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

lol. I've never fished for either fish, so i look forward to it,lol.

Well know I know who that is that i kept seeing on the home page. Its your GF,lol.

#6 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:11 AM

nice nice ! interest already.

Porter, don't worry about never having fished it. All the stuff you'll need will be small though. So a Medium or lighter rod + 1/8 or smaller jig heads + 2" or less tubes / grubs / whatever you want. (If we find a good day and the big guys are in, 3" will be good too) and remember to bring a float.

Hopefully, when Snypa logs in, he'll see this. Sorry bud, for making you miss last year's! I'll assume you're in for this one?

And location, I've been thinking something around simcoe? Unless someone is going to offer another spot. The only problem is that I haven't had good luck there, and daytime for crappie is something that's never worked for me. But frozenfire, im positive you can prove me wrong because all the crappie reports I've seen from you seem to be from the daytime.

As for date, I'll pray that this year we can fish by late march/early april hopefully.
The only problem I see from that is that with an early spring, is that it will be so hard to find crappie in the summer :?

anyways, off to finish more homework, hopefully more people see this within the next couple of days and more people will be in on this~

#7 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:37 AM

ec1,
it's rare to hit a crappie school in the afternoon... most of my success comes in the morning or evening.
hopefully this works out... it's always good to meet those who are just as into crappie fishing as we are :?

#8 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

So a Medium or lighter rod + 1/8 or smaller jig heads + 2" or less tubes / grubs / whatever you want.

1/8 oz jigs for crappie? must be monsters, let me know where they bite and im in.
most people i see fishing for crappies use 1/16 or as small as 1/32 jigs.

#9 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:51 AM

well lets see if we can get people interested, this wud be a fun g2g for sure!

#10 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

1/8 oz jigs for crappie? must be monsters, let me know where they bite and im in.

1/8 works if you really don't have 1/16 and am not willing to buy more jigs. Not too sure about the spring bite, but I suppose it will work. It's more about giving the right presentation I think :?
But as for 1/32, i only find that it's useful in the summer. nearing the winter / season closing, the fish like slower presentations and the 1/32 just hasn't worked out for me last year.

and as for morning / evening, what time do you guys like? I'm a night time guy, but I'm not too sure about anyone else.
How about everyone post what time they would like to be going?

#11 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

Anytime works for me, if i have job n anyone else who wud be working on a weekend, would need a couple weeks to book it off. So i'm down for either time, if its night time wouldnt need to book off if i have job by than,lol.

#12 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

i would love to come but i would feel to akward due to my age

#13 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

Your age shouldnt effect you coming or not. The same way you better be at the tournament/derby in june.

#14 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

two things other than my age are stopping me from comming to the tournament, first is getting there and second is that i'm am busy most of june, when do you think the tournament is going to be?

#15 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

I'm sure thered be someone willing to get you in your area, or if there driving past yeah. for this one if it is more up north area, than i cud get yeah on the way up. n june 20th, but lets not talk to much about that in here so we stay on topic,lol...:?

#16 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

even though you guys make a big deal about crappies, and even though its very tempting,
however this year i will pass on them.
as soon as the ice is off the rivers i will put my loomis pin to work for some steelheads.

(btw stop making future plans and go get some fish from ice :? )

#17 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

two things other than my age are stopping me from comming to the tournament, first is getting there and second is that i'm am busy most of june, when do you think the tournament is going to be?

How old are you Bala? I'm probably weird there too if you say that. I'm 18..............

Aside from that, does anyone think there will be some kind of thaw enough to start fishing after next week?
We are looking at 6, 5, 2, 3, 5, 7, 1 above 0 degrees for like 7 days straight!!!!
It would be awfully nice if there was a few days to go fishing to kick off my reading week.
Wouldn't it be nice to hit the bog/simcoe during their "hardwater" season to fish on softwater? :?

#18 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

aww come on efka, one day outside of the tribs?

and for ice fishing, never done it, and I dont have the right clothing / gear for it. I'm probably looking at......boots + snowpants (Probably really expensive) and then auger (70 bucks?) and a rod like (20?)
Wish I had that much money to spend :?

#19 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

at least you are old enough to drive, i'm only turning 14 in june, although i am 5'9"

hey, i could come with my friend and his dad, they love crappie fishing

#20 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

1/8 works if you really don't have 1/16 and am not willing to buy more jigs. Not too sure about the spring bite, but I suppose it will work. It's more about giving the right presentation I think :?
But as for 1/32, i only find that it's useful in the summer. nearing the winter / season closing, the fish like slower presentations and the 1/32 just hasn't worked out for me last year.

and as for morning / evening, what time do you guys like? I'm a night time guy, but I'm not too sure about anyone else.
How about everyone post what time they would like to be going?

I generally use 1/16 oz jigs.

when it comes to deciding about morning or evening. it depends where :? there are some places that produce in the morning, but the evening bite is sometimes not there.... and other places, the evening bite is huge, but the morning bite is slow.