• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

I have never fished for Carp before. I have seen a lot of guys fish for them in a tonne of spots throughout Ontario.

I saw a few guys fishing for them today out in Oshawa. They were using corn. I was talking with one guy and he says that they won't catch carp now because it's to early. water temp is to cold. True, not true?

So, when is the best time for Carp?

thanks,

Dirk......

#2 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

I believe the best time for carp is before and after their spawn in the spring. Once they go into spawn mode...they don't eat.
I wouldn't mind tackling a few carp...
I have accidentally snagged a few, and they sure can bring a fight!

#3 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

that's like most species, when do they spawn?

#4 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:51 PM

may/june sometimes it lasts to july.

#5 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

So fishing for them now would be pointless?

#6 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

fish for steelhead instead, and try carp in mid april.

#7 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:23 AM

You know what? another person told me that where you caught your 33" pike has carp in the summer!
AND, if you want, I can give you some locations where the carp will hit even later on in the summer. I try to stay away from them, but they are hitting crankbaits where I got them.

The only problem with that spot is that you will need a 20+ foot net. I've used one of them and they're weird, instead of having the net go in at a 45 degree angle, you must lower the net to a 90 degree, and when the fish is in the net, you start pulling up the handle of the net.

It's really crazy at night. I was at a dam, and while im casting my crankbait around I hear something splash trying to hit your bait. I first thought it was some HUGE HUGE LMB / SMB or whatever, but the second time it attacks, I find out that it was only a carp.

#8 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:32 AM

when you go pike fishing at Toronto Islands... you'll also see a lot of giant carps enjoying the sun by the surface.

#9 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

Wasn't looking to go Carp fishing. Just wanted to know when you fish for them as 2 guys were telling me different things and I like to learn anything I can about fishing. I have figured out that they were fidhing much to early for them.

Thanks,

Dirk......

#10 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:08 AM

diggyj many diff bait out there to use I prefer to make my own corn meal, vanilla and sugar, roll em into balls and freeze em over night.

Also the most important thing I found was the hook, a hair rig I never new about it till the last few years but it makes a diff. Corn SUX!

I like fishing the humber just south of Old Mill for carp there everywhere!

http://www.carpangle...andboltrig.html

#11 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Wasn't looking to go Carp fishing.
Dirk......

dont overlook carp, they are good fighters, esp the ones 25+ lbs

#12 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

I know they are great fighters. When I take my boat through the lock at Hastings from Rice Lake into the Trent River I always see some great battles up around the dam and locks.

I heard that a great do it yourself bait is to soak Wheaties in strawberry pop and then once they are moist make a ball and bait the hook.

Cheers.

#13 oshawatroutman

oshawatroutman

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:24 PM

For carp yes its to early when the trout leave oshawa creek is when they start to come in to feed on roe coming down the creek the best bet is wait till you see them at the simcoe bridge and right beside it on that little grass area is a great place to fish for them I use worms about 4 inches off the bottom and catch perch bullhead suckers small freshwater drum and carp the biggest I got was a 33 lb carp on 6 lb test with my sons rod and its a 5.5 foot telescopic rod I was so surprised that it held up for a cheap rod but it did so if you want to try some hard fighting fish try carp you might even see me down there with my 9 foot ugly stick

#14 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

Havent fished for, or ever caught a carp...but this year I think we are going to try...we see lotsa monsters out at the island...why not give em a try!

#15 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

last time i heard about carp fishing from my friend he said that once they're hooked it's like realling in a log, but he also said the same about pike, steelhead and bass :lol: :?: :?:

#16 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

You can catch carp 12 months of the year.
Carp are most easily caught in the spring before they spawn. They really put the feed bag on prior to spawning. They can also be found in greater numbers then as they gather around . the places where spawning will take place. Carp are most fun to catch when the water warms up in summer. They are at their best when the water temps are in the high 60's to low 70's , Degrees F that is. When you hook into carp in water at that temp. with a good O2 level and is not too muddy you are in for the ride of your life. They just do not want to quit.

#17 catfish 136

catfish 136

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hi Dirk,

You can catch Carp in the cold and all through the winter months, its just a waiting game I'm afraid. As the weather gets colder the fish slow down and don't feed as much, fish location is very important as is bait and presentation, you don't need anywhere near as much bait for winter Carping as during the summer months.

Obviously spring and summer are the better months to fish apart from when they are spawning when it seems nothing will take your bait, the Fall can also see some very good days but then it will get harder as the winter sets in.

As far as baits are concerned corn is an excellent summer bait and mixed with chick peas, tiger nuts and peanuts you can really get them in a feeding frenzy, during the colder months i would use luncheon meat or spam you'll be surprised, make sure that you soak the chick peas, tiger nuts and peanuts in cold water for 24 to 36 hours before using them for bait.

I have caught Carp up to 52 lbs in Europe, fishing English, French and Spanish waters as well and Carp large and small fight just as well as any other fish including Large and Smallmouth Bass.

Colin.

#18 theNik

theNik

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

I've caught a number of carp over the years and I plan on catching more!
They're a GREAT fight. I used to catch them in the Grand River near Brantford around the end of May.
I got too frustrated with keeping the cornmeal mix my friend made on the hook so I just used BIG dew worms and they seemed to like it.
I'm trying to find them in/near the GTA this year. I saw a BEAST of a carp while I was at Ontario Place last summer so I'll be checking out that area when the weather heats up.
I landed a 30lb+ carp at Mary Curtis Park (Lakeshore near Brown's Line in Etobicoke) but I snagged it with a Rattling Rap so i can't take credit. I now know they're in there though.

If anyone knows any other spots in the west end I'd be much obliged.

#19 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:19 PM

heard Hamilton harbor carps fight really strong

#20 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

heard Hamilton harbor carps fight really strong

Not only do our carp fight hard but with the creation of Bay Front Park and the work done by the Hamilton Water Front Trust we have miles of angler friendly bank space to be explored and fished. Come on down and give it a try. Most places have free parking as well.