• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

Yes its the right general area. The dock is closed as far as I know..Go West across the street and follow the river...if nothing is biting...moave around..several km's of river..all the way out to Hwy 400! Find and opening where you can safely park...make sure not to invade private property and give it a shot.
(Just watch Canal Road..can be a dangerous stretch if you dont know the road.)

You've just told everybody the secret stretch of spots!
I've only seen very very few fishermen fishing along the stretch... I guess it is due to the parking issue.
I say just park the vehicle in safe area and go for a nice long walk than drive to a next bridge where you can park a car, than go for a another nice long round trip walk, than drive to next bridge and repeat.
I lot of good looking areas to fish... ton of fallen/over hanging trees.

So, for those who are coming from west of the Toronto can drive up Highway 400 and exit at Canal Road and park right there and work your wait to ever so popular area. It sure is a looong walk~/drive? how ever you want to work the area. Check out google map to see for yourself or just drive along to see the structures of that stretch.

#62 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

i didnt know that one i saw canal road in the map pic that posted, that it was the same one that connected to hgwy 400. thats sweet!! lol.

#63 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

so, how did things go? if they went well i will probably go this weekend

#64 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:39 AM

both ec1 and myself got skunked haha

#65 flash_kid

flash_kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

skunked as well...

where were you guys? i didn't see anyone young guys around, unless you guys are old???

this dude next to me south of the pumphouse road landed what i guess to be a 3+lb LM bass.
other than that i didn't see anyone else pull out any fish.

#66 chosen 1

chosen 1

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Has anyone else notice that the bite has been very slow in that area?

#67 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

both ec1 and myself got skunked haha

Sorry to hear that guys. I thought you would catch something for sure since weather was pretty good and also you frozenfire had some luck on your previous trip there. Maybe it will pick up in few days, what do you think ?

#68 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, the bite has been slow... but the fish have only been there for less than a week i believe. should pick up hopefully. all this rain should speed things along, but no one likes to fish in it haha

flash_kid, looked for your car but couldn't find it. we were part of the crowd on pumphouse road. me, my gf, my buddy, and ec1 were at the one spot... and there were about 8-10 other anglers in that spot.

saw LOTS of sunfish and catfish get pulled out...and only 2 tiny crappies. one caught from shore, and another from a guy in a canoe.

something definitely shut the crappie down yesterday, or they have moved out of the area.

#69 flash_kid

flash_kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

i was parked right near the water discharge and walked to the bridge on pumphouse road. i guess you guys must have been on the east side along pumphouse road. i may try again on saturday if the rain holds off.

#70 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Flash, what time did you go? You should have driven past me if anything, I was there until about 9...
Silver Subaru ring any bells?

#71 flash_kid

flash_kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

no i didn't see you.

i looked for a silver and blue, but the only one i saw was a blue subaru wagon and the guy was packing up his canoe.
i was only there from 6- 7:30, i got tired of no bites and i was hungry and had to pee really bad. if i didn't have to pee i would have prob stayed till 8-8:30.

whens the next meeting? i'll be sure to look harder or make myself more noticeable.

#72 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hmm. You parked on Canal Road didnt you? I think I drove past the Subaru with the canoe also....Maybe I drove past you then. But I dont know what car you were in :roll:

And I'll be making a trip up there soon, as soon as the weather gets nice again I guess

#73 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

from what you guy are saying i didn't miss much by not going, well i'm not so disapointed after all

#74 Newbie

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

Is the crappie meet still on for today? It'll take a few brave folks to be out there in this weather!

I'm planning on going out Saturday afternoon (tomorrow). I don't know the area, and am wondering if there's any other likely spots on the Holland if the spot near the bridge is crowded. Any suggestions? How about walking along the river north of the bridge? And yes, if someone is interesting in riding along, there's only two of us going in a minivan & a couple more should be okay (the more the merrier!).

#75 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

No, the meet was yesterday, and only me and frozenfire actually met up. We passed by flash_kid without knowing.

But yes, supposedly the bridge is prime estate, and you'll have to be there bright and early before the locals get there. As for spots around, just park your car and work your way around, and look for structure sticking out / can be seen underwater.

I don't think I will be going on saturday, and probably will wait until the cold front passes through after that. Although now that you say so, Sunday might be awesome because it's just before the cold front coming through.

#76 flash_kid

flash_kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

good luck saturday, let us know how the water is after all that rain.

i also will wait until the cold front passes, but Sunday should be a nice day. however, i'm busy sundays so no fishing for me.

#77 Newbie

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Called it off on Saturday. I'm going out for the afternoon today. Will let you guys know how it goes. Look forward to running into some folks from this forum.

#78 Newbie

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

Sunday afternoon/evening was a gorgeous time to drive out. That doesn't go for fishing that day, though. Got to the bridge on Holland at Bradford around 4pm & didn't get a bite for almost an hour. The wife was getting a little edgy watching me cast & curse, cast & curse, cast & curse!! So we decided that driving a little further north & enjoying the weather/scenery would be more fun than fishing. So that's what we did. It didn't look like any of the other folks fishing got anything either. Anybody had any luck?