Fishing line question

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 410001661

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

I have 2 medium action spinning rods. I usually put 8lb mono on them both, but this year I was thinking (after someone mentioned it to me) to put 8lb mono on one and 20lb Fireline (dia of 8lb mono) on the other.

My question is this.....does anyone use braided line, and what is the drawback? Would the lack of streach be an advantage of a disadvantage when using topwater or crankbaits? I usually fish for bass, walleye, and pike and like having 2 rods set-up so I can quickly switch presentations

Thanks in advance,

J

#2 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

First bit of advice, don't use FIRELINE, it's crap. If you are going to use a braid, I suggest PowerPro or Sufix. Much better. Bit more expensive but well worth it.

I use braid on both my baitcasters and have braid on one of my spinning reels. It wil allow you to pull HAWGS out of the thick weeds with ease.

Dirk....

#3 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

the only disadvantage to braided is that it has higher friction and therefore doesn't cast as well on some reels

#4 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:29 PM

Hi
BPS has sufix braid now for sale
Also they have the TUF line XP(braid) for sale 50% off. I grabbed a 20 and 15 lb for my boys spinning outfits. I figured less than $8 for 150 yds you cannot go wrong

Pros
Stronger, less stretch (5% I believe), thinner diameter and last a lot longer than mono.
I have had the same braid on some of my reels for 3 yrs now and still going strong. I just flip the line @ every yr.

Cons
You should use a 3ft flouro leader so the fish do not see your line.
Very strong will cut you fingers if you are not careful

All my steups are all using braided line.
Jose

#5 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

go with powerpro. mentioned already, but fireline is crap.

i currently have pp on my curado baitcaster and stradic spinning setups.
also using 2 foot seaguar flourocarbon leader as well.

#6 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

On wednesday I put on 15lb Sufix Braid on my Quantum Baitcaster, and Fluorocarbon 8lb P Line on my Mitchel spinner. Picked them both up at the show. Have tried both...Like the way they cast, but havent even had a nibble to try them out for real, so we shall see.

#7 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

Great line selection.

Dirk....

#8 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:14 AM

pp to lubricate your reels?

#9 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

What line+weight do you guys use for your panfish reels?

i personally use 4lb pLine. which breaks too easy.
i think i should put on 8 or 10# braid and use a short leader or something.

#10 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

I'm trying 6# trilene XL this year. Over the last 2 years since i started fishing for panfish, 8# trilene XL was what I used.
After spooling up my new Sahara today, I notice that 6# does feel smaller than 8# by quite a difference. Breaking hopefully isn't a problem since I downsized this year.

For panfish, I honestly think there's no need for braid..but if you want to try it, by all means go for it!

#11 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

Mikey,

no, i have not taken apart my reels to regrease or lubricate....was goign to do it this winter, but it never happened.

I ALWAYS use 4lb pline when panfishing. no problems here. if you're snapping off too often, loosen your drag :)

#12 MikeyMikey

MikeyMikey

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

peepee to lubricate your reels?

i meant to say...

ooops, sorry, it's lame.

#13 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

mikey, the line snapping could have to do with the knots you use(i don't use rapala knots, they just don't work for me)

#14 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

the only disadvantage to braided is that it has higher friction and therefore doesn't cast as well on some reels

Posted Image

#15 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

nice way to say i'm wrong :lol: i'm not saying thats allways true, i'm just saying thats my personal experience

#16 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

nice way to say i'm wrong :lol: i'm not saying thats allways true, i'm just saying thats my personal experience

why dont you tell us details from that experience ?
you mean you can cast same weight with 30lb mono further than with 30lb braid?

#17 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:43 PM

410001661 go ahead and use braid on both reels, you wont regret. one with 20lb and another with 30lb braid.
for pike use metal leader or 80lb fluoro carbon, and for bass just 10lb fluoro leader with a swiwel.
choose the leader lenght depending how much line is left hanging on your cast since most swivels wont pass the tip guide.
oh and as we are not in the matrix you can use letters for your nickname :lol:

#18 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

when i had spooled my spinning reel with 15 pound test braided line i could cast about twenty feet, when i have mono on my reel, i cast much farther than that. but with my direct drive casting setup, the best thing for it is braided, there you go efka, thats my personal experience for ya

#19 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:22 AM

when i had spooled my spinning reel with 15 pound test braided line i could cast about twenty feet, when i have mono on my reel, i cast much farther than that. but with my direct drive casting setup, the best thing for it is braided, there you go efka, thats my personal experience for ya

20' ???how is that even possible, im confused???? mono is 3 times thicker than braid of the same diameter.
what reel and rod were you using and what lb mono line ?

#20 PainInTheBass

PainInTheBass

Sunfish

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:47 AM

The main disadvantage (if you wish to look at it as such) of having no stretch in your line when fishing topwater of crankbaits is that there is no shock absorber for jarring reaction strikes, or sudden bursts. The high amount of pressure on the small treble hooks can make them pop out more easily than a single hook. Additionally, some believe that the stretch allows you some "buffer" time when you detect a strike. Everyone's first tendency is to set the hook right away. Without any stretch in the line you can potentially yank the bait clean out of the fish' mouth. This could be even more apparent with topwater lures. Anglers must already be patient on a topwater strike, often waiting until a count of 3 seconds before setting the hook. You may have to wait even longer with topwater to ensure that the fish has it before setting the hook... or wait until you actually feel the weight before setting the hook.

Now, the question is if the benefit outweighs the cons for your particular type of fishing. You get more sensitivity out of braid as well as a higher breaking strength at a lower diamater. I myself prefer using braid with fluoro leader, but do not see the problem with using mono for crankbaits or topwater.