Fishing line question

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

THIS IS A MYTH.....BACKING REQUIRED FOR BRAID.........

Backing isn't a must when using braid. You can use tape, or nothing at all.

How many of you have caught a fish and had it peel off so much line(BRAID) that you actually got into the backing(MONO)?

It's never happened to me.

Dirk.

its not because you can run out of line its because when your spool gets wet the braid slips on it making the drag system useless. used only braid once on the shallow spool reel and experienced it first hand, had to put around 30ft of mono line.

#42 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

For the line to slip a lot of it has to come off.

Dirk.

#43 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:08 AM

For the line to slip a lot of it has to come off.

Dirk.

wrong, if there is nothing under braid when wet it will slip free,
if you use the tape its same as mono, gives the grip to the braid.
but try it out, get your rod put water on the spool and pull the line with tight drag, tell us how it went.

#44 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

I can tell you exactly how it went, no slippage at all. I cast my bait a mile with my baitcaster, line gets wet, i retrieve, it respolls, and I notice no slippage at all. I even dropped the rod in the water once this year. No problems at all.

Dirk.

#45 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

Best line for the Curado

adam from saskatoon writes:

hello. I was wondering what would be the best line to use with my curado 200e I was thinking around 12 or 15 lbs test, but not sure what brand. Also what would be the best knot to tie my line to the bail of the curado. thanks

replies:

Hi Adam

My favorite line to use on my Curado's is the 20lb power pro. It is very strong and gets the job done.

I don't back this reel with anything and I just use a normal knot to attach it to the reel. Make sure you hold the line tight while spooling it on. The nice thing is you can take the line off the reel in a couple years and reverse it back on the reel so you are using new line again.

Thanks

Best way to spool braided line

Dan from Murfreesboro writes:

Hi,
I was wondering what is the best way to spool a spinning reel with braided line... any tips?

replies:

Hi Dan

I have always just spooled the braid directly on the reel but I keep the line tight as I am doing this. You want a nice tight spool.

Some anglers will back a reel with mono for 2 reasons. One, braid is expensive and if you have a deep spool it can get costly and two, it will keep the line from spinning on the spool.

I myself have not had this problem but I do use mono if I am spooling a deep reel. An important thing to remember is to make sure you are using a good quality reel that wraps the line on evenly and doesn't spool it all to one side. This will give you a good cast every time.

So if it is a normal spool just make sure it is spooled on even and tight and you are ready to fish.

Happy Reeling

Applications for Braid and backing

Des from Temagami writes:

What applications would you normally use braid and do you always use backing.
Thanks

replies:

Hi Des

I use braid for running top water baits and for slop fishing. It allows me to keep the fish up out of the weeds since there is no give or stretch in the line.

I will use backing if I am using a smaller diameter of braid but with my 20lb braid I am going braid all the way.

Once the braid looks like it is ready to change I will unspool the reel and reverse the line back on the reel and it is like having all new line. No waste.

Thanks

Dirk......

#46 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

"Also what would be the best knot to tie my line to the bail of the curado." how does that work.
either way diggyj if it works for you keep that way, i dont want to start going on and on on this topic.
But have you ever visited any of the braided lines website, the first thing they say in spooling section is to use mono, now i think the company who spent months if not years designing the line know more about their line than some guy on the forum. what do you think ?
http://powerpro.com/using/index.asp

#47 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Those Q & A's didn't come from some guy on a forum. Those were all questions asked to the same PRO, and their answers all state, NO BACKING depending on reel.

Why do you think they tell you to back with MONO?

Hello, they want to sell more fishing line, make more money.

Dirk.....

#48 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

Those Q & A's didn't come from some guy on a forum. Those were all questions asked to the same PRO, and their answers all state, NO BACKING depending on reel.

Why do you think they tell you to back with MONO?

Hello, they want to sell more fishing line, make more money.

Dirk.....

sounds like conspiracy theory :) so funny that you think that way

#49 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

For most of my reels I would put some electrical tape on the spool. Not too much though, even on my boys spinning gear.
The reels I use for bass, pike and smaller species, I do use 10 yds of mono backing to fill up the spool. No need to spool it full of braid.
The only time I spool it full of braid is when fishing for species like salmon, they have the power to strip your line completely. I know from my experience LOL

Jose

#50 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

I can tell you exactly how it went, no slippage at all. I cast my bait a mile with my baitcaster, line gets wet, i retrieve, it respolls, and I notice no slippage at all. I even dropped the rod in the water once this year. No problems at all.

Dirk.

in your case you were using a casting reel, but i thing efka is talking about spinning gear, wich is a lot different

#51 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

even on spinning gear, I stated earlier in the year that I could tie braid right onto a spool without slipping problems.

My way, Wrap the line around the spool twice and Tie the arbor knot normally. and instead of cutting down onto the tag right away, Tie a clinch knot down onto the line. After that, cut the tag. I got this worked out and even braid will not slip on any reel.

All in all, I think it's a preference of having mono backing now that I think about it.
Last year, I had braid directly onto a spool, and because I only made the simple knot, it did happen to slip. This year, I have tried braid directly to spool again, and had it not slip. I only changed it to go with a mono backing so that I could see whether the TufLine Duracast could cast further. In the end, I am glad to say the mono backing has done nothing except fill up the spool a little bit more.