#1 tangledline

tangledline

Perch

• Active Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

Asian anglers can't shake harassment
Toronto Star

'Tipping' victims afraid to report (Dec. 2007) Waterhole assaults spur inquiry (Nov. 2007) More charges in Sutton angler attacks (Nov. 2007) Hate-crime probe begins (Sept. 2007) VIDEO: Investigation advocate (Dec. 2007) Ontario Human Rights Commission Report shows progress on ending assaults, but `more work to be done'

Apr 08, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (25)
Raveena Aulakh
Staff reporter
One second, David Ma was fishing at Lake Simcoe; the next, he was shoved into the freezing waters, his arms flailing as he struggled to keep his head above the surface.

Ma, a 30-year-old carpenter from Toronto, vividly remembers the night. "It was around midnight in late May (2008). I was fishing alone when two men pushed me into water," he said. After the initial shock, he swam back to the shore but hasn't since returned to that particular spot. "I'm still scared. I could have died," he said.

Yesterday, even as a report on such incidents was released, Asian-Canadian anglers said they still face harassment despite efforts made by police services, government agencies and community groups, with many cases of assault being reported last year and one in January.

"There's a lot that has been done but more work needs to be done," said Barbara Hall, chief commissioner of the Ontario Human Rights Commission. She was releasing the final report on a string of alleged assaults against Asian-Canadian anglers that first made headlines in 2007.

"We know people still face barriers in reporting harassment to police; language is one reason," said Hall to a packed banquet hall at an outlet mall in Markham.

The commission launched an inquiry after the Star broke the story of targeted assaults against Asian-Canadian anglers in the Lake Simcoe region. Initially in October 2007, there were four confirmed cases of assault, mischief and theft against anglers. Almost immediately, dozens of fishermen came forward, saying they, too, had been a victim of what some local youth call "nipper tipping" – pushing Asian anglers off docks and bridges.

Eleven incidents were reported in 2007 and many more in 2008. An incident was reported during an ice fishing tournament on Jan. 31.

Police, who investigated the assaults as hate crimes, laid charges in five of the six reported assaults.

The commission's inquiry spanned two fishing seasons. Yesterday, Hall released a follow-up report on the initial inquiry and highlighted the progress the 22 organizations made in response.

York Region and Ontario Provincial Police received special praise for increasing presence in areas where incidents of harassment had been reported. The two services also started a poster campaign titled Fish Without Fear, which provided anglers of all backgrounds with safety tips.

The Ministry of Natural Resources included an anti-racism message in its 2009 fishing regulations.

The Community Reference Groups, a coalition of community groups, appreciated these efforts but lambasted the provincial government for not addressing public safety concerns.

"He (McGuinty) didn't show political leadership," said Avvy Go of the Metro Toronto Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic. "There was no message sent out that we don't condone racism. It was disappointing. You know, these incidents changed people's lives forever."

In one case, a 25-year-old Toronto man was in hospital for months. Shayne Berwick had been fishing off Mossington Bridge in the town of Sutton, late at night Sept. 16, 2007, when two of his friends were pushed into the river by some locals. A fight broke out between the two groups. Shayne and his friends sped away. One of the town kids chased them in a truck, police said, eventually running them off the road. Shayne and a friend were thrown from the car. He's now out of hospital but still recovering.

Two local men were charged.

"With these cases being highlighted, at least anglers know they have the right to complain if someone is harassing them," said Danny Leong of the Outdoor Venture Fishing and Hunting Club. "They know now these are hate crimes and the police will take it seriously."

Comments on this story are now closed |Commenting Guidelines Sort By Newest Oldest Most Agreed
So people think someone suspected of overfishing its worth their life?
Who are they to take the law into their own hands! Throw the book at these jokers. Take away their cars, their houses, their bank accounts. May be then they'll leave the job to the Ministry of Fisheries or the police to give out fines. May be the public needs to know about overfishing...it's not like this population will starve if the lake is overfished. A bunch of yahoo's one and all!

Submitted by 4responsibility at 11:45 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 7|Disagree 8|Alert a Moderator
What year is this?
I really hope this story is biased because I don't want to believe it. I could've sworn that it's 2009... or is it 1909?

Submitted by cheahs at 11:36 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 4|Disagree 6|Alert a moderator
There is no excuse for 'tipping"
If someone is over the limit report it. The only other side of the story left out is how non-asians, don't use their english to report.

Submitted by jingwatik at 11:35 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 12|Disagree 3|Alert a Moderator
Slow news day for the Star
Why is the Star reporting on an incident that happened last May and arguably has occurred only once in 2009? It seems that enforcement is working. The "tippers" are being caught and the illegal fishermen are being caught, which has drastically reduced these crimes. Why don't you report that efforts to crack down on this have been largely successful instead of harping over the dude that got pushed in the water last year and is afraid to go back?

Submitted by Where is common sense? at 11:35 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 7|Disagree 11|Alert a moderator
Response to makemyday
Sure! I'd like to hear what you consider a good reason for "tipping". Under the law, it's still assault. Also, I invite you to read the OHRC report at http://www.ohrc.on.ca, and repeat to yourself several times the statement that reads: "It is worthwhile to note that in all of the incidents investigated by police, there was no evidence that victims had broken any fishing regulations." The report is also available in French, Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean.

Submitted by bamboocanuck at 11:22 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 10|Disagree 5|Alert a Moderator
Where are the other comments?
Not only did the Star leave out the reasons for "tipping" those that overfish but you refuse to print the comments that point this out. This story represents everything that is wrong with the Star. You twist the news to fit your agenda!

Submitted by makemyday at 10:38 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 15|Disagree 15|Alert a moderator
There are two sides to this story
Why is the other part of this story left out. Don't you think it would be more honest to give us the other side. Could it be that the overfishing and keeping anything that moves was kept out of this story for a very dishonest reason. Shame on the Star!

Submitted by makemyday at 9:56 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 16|Disagree 14|Alert a Moderator
Talking with a friend in the US...
Seems like armed "Asian anglers" are never bothered down there... I wonder why? Could it be because the thugs are afraid of Mr. Smith & Wesson...

Submitted by Michelt at 9:34 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 9|Disagree 8|Alert a moderator
Language
"language is one reason" claims the story for not reporting incidents. Perhaps if immigrants who chose to live here learned English, they could report an incident. I wouldn't dream of making my home in an Aisan country and not speak the local language.

Submitted by sailor at 9:03 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 14|Disagree 9|Alert a Moderator
Stop protecting the racists!
Do those kids even bother to ask if the fishermen of Asian origin carry licenses? They simply deem all Asians are fishing illegally and unethically. Even so, do they have the right to push them into the water? Why not try and educate them if they're doing something wrong? These assaults are clearly amusement for them to pass the day. Give me a break!

Submitted by Michael6 at 9:03 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 13|Disagree 10|Alert a moderator
Must be a slow day
...Quit making stories out of nothing. I live in Lindsay on the Scugog River and have never once seen any of these "incidents", and there are a lot of people of asian descent here given our close proximity to Toronto.Ironically, most people of foreign decent in the 705 are doctors and lawyers and get treated with the respect they deserve. If you want to see racial disharmony go to your lovely Scarborough and write a story.

Submitted by 705 Bill at 8:51 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

Agree 9|Disagree 7|Alert a Moderator
Vigilantism
Even IF you feel there's some sort of basis to assualting people based on the fact that people don't fish with permits, it's entirely illegal to do anything about it, short of reporting them to the proper authorities. Did you even ask them if they had a permit before you shoved them into freezing water???

Submitted by jellofuel at 8:37 AM Wednesday, April 08 2009

#2 fatfishie

fatfishie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

Thats terrible!!! :cry: I'm so glad that the police apprehended those criminals! They deserve far more than my usual punishment of fish-slapping! (A vain attempt to inject some humor into this posting :cry:)

#3 tangledline

tangledline

Perch

• Active Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

i posted this news paper article to remind others that intolerance, racism and hate crimes have no place in our diverse country. i am truly ashamed of the actions and sentiments of some people in this country, province, the kawartha lakes area (from which i grew up). i love the pass time of fishing and it brings sorrow to my heart that it has been stained with this hatred.....
fishing is for everyone...any race, age or sex
i am constantly trying to introduce others to this great sport and i will share my knowledge and skills with anyone
as well as the water and shoreline i am fishing.
if any person is breaking the fishing laws...knowingly or unknowingly it is for the authorities to deal with and the public laws to dictate how the individuals should be dealt with....if you are upset with someone else's fishing practices notify the authorities...let them deal with it.
if you are asked for help or advice or directions from another person fishing remember.... that if you help them love the sport of fishing as much as you do then hopefully they will protect it with the same passion as you do.
peace and happy fishing to all.

#4 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

Yea, it's sad to hear about everyone getting hurt. I'm asian too so I'll just be careful around..
Biggest problem is that I read in the chinese newspapers the day before that about chinese guys getting fined for taking too much / fishing out of season...
There was one guy that got caught fishing while his license was already banned for a year..

I see where these people are getting these ideas from....But I really don't know how else these guys are gonna stop the asian guys from their "overharvesting"
Especially when MNR doesn't do much about it..

#5 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:22 PM

it is very sad that this has happened...

i am chinese. born and raised here in ontario. it truly does sadden me that family and friends worry about my safety when i go fishing because of these racial attacks.
i used to go fishing worry-free since i was 4 years old. since these incidents, i now have to watch my back all the time? ridiculous. I am mostly a shore angler and my swimming is mediocre at best... if someone were to push me in, i don't know what would happen.

fishing alone was an option for me sometimes when no one else is available... but I can't do that anymore. :cry:

#6 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:32 PM

one of the scariest things about this is the knowledge that there are tons more people like that that won't stop at asians, they will go for anybody, wether it's because they're racist, mean people or just plain psycho, theres allway somebody out there with bad intentions

#7 toronto_angler

toronto_angler

Sunfish

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:48 PM

one of the scariest things about this is the knowledge that there are tons more people like that that won't stop at asians, they will go for anybody, wether it's because they're racist, mean people or just plain psycho, theres allway somebody out there with bad intentions

So it's okay as long as it's asians????????

#8 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:19 AM

no, i really didn't mean that, i meant that it's not just asians that this has and will happen too it's everyone, maybe not as bad, maybe worse, but here is a quote o better express what i'm trying to say "if one morning everyone woke up and was the same race and gender, there are people that would have found something new to be discriminating about by noon" and this is totally true, there are people like this at my school, on my street, theres no escaping the fact that it's in human nature to compare to one another, and now i will say that if either of my posts have ofended anyone, i apoligize, it was not my intention

#9 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:56 AM

Laws are Laws and they ALL must be followed, no matter who it is. The Police can enforce thiers and the MNR enforce thiers. Unfortunatley for us all, both could pay a little closer attention to details,..... BUT it is up to these agencies to do the enforcement, NOT the general public.

#10 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

i totally agree with what you just said, but think about how hard it must be to watch over all of canada, it's huge and fairly unpopulated in some areas

#11 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

I believe that the MNR have strived to do their part. They have released regulation booklets in chinese and have distributed them in areas with heavy asian populations. When I first saw this, I was impressed as I was getting irritated by what I have seen on the water.
It's all up to the individual angler to follow the laws. Just takes a few to ruin it for everyone else.

#12 PainInTheBass

PainInTheBass

Sunfish

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:58 AM

I too am an asian angler. My parents worry when we go fishing because of all of the reports on "Nipper Tipping". I think the act is horrible and illegal. I can't say it angers me as much as others, however, for a few reasons:

I don't trust the news because I find it is sensationalist, and highlights the the rare or extraordinary since that is what makes it news. What proportion of anglers has this happened to? I don't condone "Nipper Tipping", but do wonder what has spurred these acts against Asian anglers in particular? I had heard that it started as backlash against the blatant disregard for the rules by some? I am not saying that this justifies the actions. However, this does shift some of the blame in my eyes. I am just as angry at all of the anglers who do not follow the rules, and thereby forced this stereotype on me. The perpetrators of "Nipper Tipping" obviously have no concern for the safety of the victims. However, it is then obvious too, that neither do those who perpetuate the stereotype and keep this stigma on the Asian Angling community. They have no concern for their actions save what fines may come. They are no different in my opinion. One group cannot be expected to act according to the law while the other is not. However, I am not saying that it is any common citizen's job to take the law into their own hands. We all have a responsibility to act within the guidelines and laws of this country.

I think blame can be shared in this case, and we cannot simply point only at those commiting the crimes, but to our neighbours that have brought this on us as well. We need to educate our neighbours, for as long as they disregard the rules, so too will others (Nipper Tipping). Sad but true.

Flame on (I am pretty sure my stance is not popular)

#13 YAWN

YAWN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

teninchman u write very well!

i used to go fishing worry-free since i was 4 years old. since these incidents, i now have to watch my back all the time? ridiculous. I am mostly a shore angler and my swimming is mediocre at best... if someone were to push me in, i don't know what would happen.

That is sad u feel that way, I don't ever worry about that stuff EVER. I can swim well though very well so perhaps that makes u feel less secure. I can pretty much guarantee here in T.O that if a fellow fishermen went in the water and was having difficulties I don't know one person who would not help.

I'm white guy but frig I don't care what ya are, you fish lets go :cry:

Sorry u guys have those problems I didn't think it was that bad out there.

Anyone ever think these special groups lke: Black congress, chinese fishermen club etc causes problems.

Speaking as a white guy whos about to get bashed I know by saying this, if I started a White only club I would be racist correct?

And there would be no chance it could exist not that I would or say thats right? I am just trying to make a point here. Maybe its the wrong spot to do so.

I'l conclude bysaying I meant no offence to anyone with anything I said it was just my opinion and thats all. Touchy subject.

#14 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thanks Tangledline for bringing this too our attention. Most definatly a dipplorable activity. But i honestly don`t think this is anything new, this activity has been going on for years and years, and is just now coming to light! There has been narrow minded individuals in small community`s that have targeted any outsider (tresspassing) as they see it in there grounds...it`s almost animal...you get a group of young males together, it`s not hard for them to get behind any stupid idea. I can`t stand this narrow minded mentality, it discusts me that these ideas still breed in a large group of disconnected youth that have no sense of humanity! Sad! Beat them with bats...or fishing poles with large trebbles on them. AAAARRRRGGG! I wanna beat them myself, but then would I be any better than them...hell ya I would!! Just a bunch a punks and they need a good beating!

#15 jet

jet

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:40 PM

It's a sad reality based on skewed perceptions of a few. Unfortunately it is a trend of humans to target groups as scapegoats on a specific issue. I lived in Michigan for a long time and there is a similar sentiment among American hunters against Hmong hunters and some of the instances are downright nasty.

I can only hope that as our communities diversify that eventually these types of events become fewer and far between.