Photo

Where is everyone heading for the zone 17 opener?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

April 25th is fast approaching. Where will you be heading?
I know Dirk will be off to Rice if he isn't tending to his new family addition :cry:
I will most likely hit Buckhorn for overnight slabs. Last year was so fun. If you have access to southeast reports, you know what i'm talking about. Hopefully it won't be shoulder to shoulder... had enough of that at more popular zone 16 locations :cry:

I will be restricted to shore fishing as I haven't got the roof rack and canoe for the gf's new car yet. Once we do get that setup...there will be so many more options!
So many back bays that haven't seen much pressure are calling out to me to visit them!!!

#2 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

Heh, anthony you're lucky! You will have boat access soon, and I'm gonna be on shore again almost all year!
I might be on Canal or Scugog at midnight that night. Hopefully it's not going to be packed..

#3 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

Man, I haven't been to canal in years!!!
I wonder how the slab action is there now.
3 years ago, my gf and i would catch one after the other and it was packed. for some reason it was only us doing all the catching and everyone kept staring haha... even the couple boats out there.
after that, i probably went once or twice and it really wasn't the same.
at least it's not too far though.

scugog is still pretty good, but for sure it's gonna be full of people.

if you want to join my group let me know. it's a far drive though. like almost 2 hours... more if i stop at timmies for washroom break and a drink. :cry:

the further you are, the less people.

the canoe thing is in the works...nothing for sure yet.
gf still hasn't picked up the car and the roof rack i have a friend who's yet to give me some prices...

#4 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

i got skunked at canal last year...But I wanted to try this year because i know that scugog is gonna be crowded...

I'm trying to get my friends back into fishing for the kawartha opener, but if they don't, I'll join you
Fishing solo kinda sucks after so many solo trips :cry:

And maybe one time later this year, I'll bring my friends, and you bring yours..and we can go claim an entire spot so that we don't get any crazy people casting over us Lol ...Theres this one spot I like a lot, except theres tons of people and they will cast over you to get their spot!

#5 flash_kid

flash_kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

hey just a question about people casting over you or from behind you i guess. can you snip their line with a knife or scissors? i mean, you're in your spot and a lure/bait/hook flies over your head and the line falls right beside you. is it illegal to snip it? kinda like self defense, i don't like sharp hooks flying over my head.

dunno where i'm going yet for zone 17, none of my friends really fish.

#6 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

well, they cast over top of your line and not your head. it only ends up as a huge tangle at the end of both lines...
and I dont think I can reach them with my scissors..and 90% its illegal because it's probably got to do something with stopping people from fishing law.

#7 spranga

spranga

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

Hey guys its been awhile. Due to our first baby soon to be here.Actuall she over due by 2 days. Anyways once baby comes. I might get to go out and if I do campbellford is where i go for zone 17 slabs. anyways pm me if you want to know where to go i'll try my best to point you in the right direction. or i can just put it in the reports area.

#8 flash_kid

flash_kid

Sunfish

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

well, they cast over top of your line and not your head. it only ends up as a huge tangle at the end of both lines...
and I dont think I can reach them with my scissors..and 90% its illegal because it's probably got to do something with stopping people from fishing law.

icic true about the stopping people from fishing but aren't they doing the same thing by tangling your line?

should get two setups one just for tangling their lines. then leave it tangled with their lines and use your next setup to fish. it that legal? just wondering, but i don't plan on being such an a$$.

how do you guys deal with people like that?

#9 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

Lol. I think you're getting close to the grey area of the 2 rod in the water rule. Unless you tie nothing but a float / sinker on your rig? No Idea Kenny.

I got pretty mad and left early that day, and this usually only happens when the season just started in spring. (everyone that fishes goes to simcoe because of it's proximity to GTA/earlieR ice out). By the time the season's started, I almost only go at night, which has less crowds and less of these terrible people :cry:

#10 chosen 1

chosen 1

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:55 AM

Here is an idea and it works however it's not my favorite thing to do so don't get me wrong but get a rod and put a heavy braided line on it and let them cast over you when you get tangeled reel in then give it a good yank and anyone using mono will have there line broken off. This is all legal but not very nice and remeber that if it happens once or twice it could be an accident but when it is not I think something must be done to deture people from doing it again. On a better note hoping to get out to Rice for zone 17 opener.

#11 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

Ahh, nice idea. But I'm going to avoid those people for the rest of the year, so I'm ok now :cry:

#12 chosen 1

chosen 1

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

Ahh, nice idea. But I'm going to avoid those people for the rest of the year, so I'm ok now :cry:

That sound's like the best idea yet there is lot's of water you just have to search and you will find some place to fish that won't be crowded. GOOD LUCK

#13 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:20 AM

i usually have multiple rods with me. so i let them get tangled with my setup i'm already using, and while they are busy trying to fix it, i'll whip out the other one and start fishing hahaha.

#14 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:26 PM

...........................RICE LAKE..........................

#15 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

...........................RICE LAKE..........................

You better post a report.
I want to see what the hype is on Rice Lake opener :cry:
more specifically, i want to know what kind of water are they being pulled out of and the size of the fish.
Will you be targetting specific shallow spots?
Will you be in search of them, constantly on the move until you hit a school?
Or do you know where they are stacked up at the moment?

Sorry for all the questions haha... I rarely go out on boat for spring slabs...so was just wondering in case I will this year.

#16 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hah! I bet if Dirk didn't have his little baby girl, he'd be on the lake right now looking at where the fish are. :cry:

So yea, Dirk, how's your little girl been?

#17 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

I'm sure he has his hands full right now... and LOVING it :cry:
i also bet he's taking LOTS of pics haha

edwin, did you end up getting the compre for 100?
I was tempted to get another UL for like 85 or 95... something like that...gf stopped me haha

#18 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

ahh anthony, you had me so unsure of whether I should buy it. I just saw another rod online, for about 140 bucks including shipping has SiC guides...6'6 ML or L with a nice colour + split grip. (Damiki Angel EX) -look it up, i think it looks really nice.

I was thinking, if the compre was gonna be 140 or so when the sale goes off, I think I might want the split grip and everything.

I am still very unsure of what I want to get Lol. Hope I haven't missed the sale if I go get it later this week.

#19 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Yes, don't worry, many reports to come. :lol:

She is doing fine and yes you guys are right, if she wasn't around, I would be out on the water every day after PIKE season closed up on the 31st of March. I could get out now to but right now I just don't have the itch or edge to fish. Wife has already given me the green light. :mrgreen:

In due time. A lot depends on water temperature. Lots of people fail to realize that. The water may still be to cold for the spawn. Once the temp is in the window, it will be fast and furious.

Dirk....

#20 chosen 1

chosen 1

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

Yes, don't worry, many reports to come. :lol:

She is doing fine and yes you guys are right, if she wasn't around, I would be out on the water every day after PIKE season closed up on the 31st of March. I could get out now to but right now I just don't have the itch or edge to fish. Wife has already given me the green light. :mrgreen:

In due time. A lot depends on water temperature. Lots of people fail to realize that. The water may still be to cold for the spawn. Once the temp is in the window, it will be fast and furious.

Dirk....

Congrats on the baby girl and looking forward to some great reports, just wondering if you would know what the temp should be for spawning? I have tried to research it but with no luck would appriciate the help. GOOD LUCK and again Congrats