• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

All I can say is AWESOME, lots of boats everytime we tried to count how many we lost track at 150+ or so. We spent 4hrs fishing and roughly 1hr just checking out spots, launching was a breeze, picking up the boat a little tougher imagine no ramp and 4 trucks backed in picking up thier boats we did manage ok tho, with minimal swearing.

Weather was great with just a little drizzle now and then. I caught 28 perch, 1 herring , 20 keepers and 1 for the perch HQ. Having a perch lunch tomorrow :mrgreen: . All caught on the SAME GULP ALIVE minnow & jig! and yes I put the minnow back in the tub LOL!

Hope the others that went had as good a time as I did.

Here are some pics.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

awesome! thats some big perch.
I've yet to have landed perch of that size yet!

#3 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Great report and those are some sweet looking perch. Looks like it was quite busy. Did you manage a tagged perch? I guess not or you would have bragged. Great job, looks like you had an enjoyable day.

Dirk....

#4 chosen 1

chosen 1

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

That is one hell of alot boats out there wish I could have been one of them, might try during the week. Work is slow but that means more time for fishing, just one problem with fishing during the week is the lack of company. Those look like some great fish any tags caught that you know of? Hope there will be less boats out when I go, more fishing spots for me LOL. :mrgreen:

#5 chosen 1

chosen 1

Sunfish

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

Just wondering where those pic's were taken of the perch in the live well? The reason I ask is that last year I was approched by a mnr officer and was told I can not transport live fish on land. I was shocked to find out that I was breaking the law for so many years luckly I was just pulling my boat out of the water so there was no fine. He told me that the fish had to be dead once I hit the road. I asked why and he told me that it was to stop people from trying to transfer fish from one body of water to another. It makes sence but I was just trying to keep the fish as fresh as possible and not transfer them. But how do they know that, the best way is to make sure that the fish is dead before you leave the lake. Just a tidbit of info that you may have not known. I checked the reg's and it states that you need a special lic to transport live fish over land that excludes legal bait fish. :mrgreen:

#6 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

that looks like it was fun, up at my cottage i got skunked

#7 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

Livewell pics were taken on the water, except the last one(with no water), No tags were won before I left around 1pm, I think more tags are won in the last week of the derby once the fishermen have taken their share of perch and the tagged ones make their way to the "spots". Unless they release them there who knows?

Again the boat traffic was crazy! at one point coming back from Chouchicing I was following a nice bass boat(w/250hp) he was doing 35-40mph and another bass boat behind me. while we were in the middle I was all out doing about 30mph, all of a sudden he stopped I don't know if bass boats stop faster then small deep v fishing boats but man I had to shut down and go right, all I remember is seeing that big 250hp motor where I could almost touch the #s, the boat behind me did the same.

It was definitly lots of fun especially since its my first time out this year. Hopefullly I can go again a few more times, if it was up to me I would go everyday.

BTW I just finshed the perch battered & fried, mmmm was good also my first fish fry!

Thx

#8 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

Great report, and congrats on such a succesfull outing...here`s to tight lines!!

#9 Fish4Dinner

Fish4Dinner

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

I hope that little guy in the last pic went with you too. Glad to see you had a blast. Pearch is always fun to catch and also the only fish I do eat that I catch. I am one of those guys who can go fishing everyday and have trouble leaving, my family says I have a desease and I know I am sick when it comes to fishing.

#10 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

I hope that little guy in the last pic went with you too. Glad to see you had a blast. Pearch is always fun to catch and also the only fish I do eat that I catch. I am one of those guys who can go fishing everyday and have trouble leaving, my family says I have a desease and I know I am sick when it comes to fishing.

The little guy just turned 4, I will take him next year and take him out on a nice day this year to see if he likes it. Already got him a spiderman PFD. I have the same issue(rather fish everyday) its going to be hard working this saturday.

#11 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Good job out there!
I'm amazed that the gulp minnow lasted through all those perch. I thought for sure you would've gone through several of them.
Mine never seem to last that long haha.

#12 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

Good job out there!
I'm amazed that the gulp minnow lasted through all those perch. I thought for sure you would've gone through several of them.
Mine never seem to last that long haha.

I know I was surprised too the most fish I ever caught on the same gulp minnow was 5, so I was saying that 1 gulp minnow =5 live minnows, but now its like 1 gulp alive tub=300 minnows;) And I only recharged(put it back in the tub jig & all for like 1 min) it twice!