• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gopenguins

gopenguins

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

going to Moon River over the may long weekend and wondering what success stories are out there? What was used? ..etc... Please tell...

#2 chadlacey

chadlacey

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:28 PM

I have not been to moon river I tried to fish the shore but couldn't find a spot to access.I have herd that their is 20-30lb catfish.cutbait is your best bet good luck.

#3 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

oh yeah!!!! those catfish get as big as pike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :mrgreen: i was scared to death whenone of those fish swam up beside me, ohhhhh spooooooooky

#4 Marcusthemusky

Marcusthemusky

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:15 PM

The Moon has amazing Muskie, Pike, Walleye and its fair share of big bass too. This time of year you only Pike and Walleye are open there. Ive fished the Moon river for 5 years now and there is nothing like it. Only problem is that every spot is a great spot and it can be difficult to see "the forest through the trees".
Where abouts on the Moon will you be going? If it's your first time i suggest the Woods bay. Its the end of the moon before it enters Georgian Bay. There are a couple of Marina's close by and lots of islands and weedbeds with good access to deep water and do hold big pike right through July.
MTM.

#5 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

another great moon river story

when i was at the cottage when i was four years old, i went up to the falls with my grandfather and dad, my granpa was in his bathing siute so he jumped into the water after a few dives, he came out of the water and grabbed a sharp stick then jumped back in, he then came out with a huge walleye in his hands, when he help it with his arm relaxed its tail was draging on the ground, as a four year old i didn't think much of it, but now when i think about it i wonder how he managed to sneak up and stab a walleye of that size, keep in mind he was 6'1" tall

#6 chiniita1234

chiniita1234

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

Hii! can anyone tell me how to get to Moon River from Toronto? is there an exact address right near the river that I can google Map? sorry...Newbie here :mrgreen: :?

#7 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

Take Highway 400 North, follow 400/169 North towards Parry Sound. Get off Twelve Mile Bay (Highway 12), travel West. As for a reference, it's hard to give a definate place as most there are PO boxes set up in MacTeir. Google earth is your friend. It's about a two hour ride.

#8 Faceman

Faceman

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

And of course with the utmost of respect but....do not take 12 Mile. You have to get off at exit 189 through McTier to Healy Rd which will lead you to the Moon. I mean you can bascially follow the signs for the Massasaga but the access is definately EXIT 189 :oops: :D

#9 peelthis

peelthis

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

I saw a few nice pike come out of that river over the years. And a few bass to.

#10 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:19 PM

was just up there this weekend, i caught multiple perch, three walleye and one smallie, all fish were released however to swim another day

#11 Marcusthemusky

Marcusthemusky

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

I was up there this past weekend. 9 Northerns 2 accidental musky and 2 bass.
All the pike were above 10lbs but the muskies were pretty small for that body of water: both below 40".
Both bass were smallies and around the 3lb mark.
Musky opens tomorrow up there so good luck to everyone.
Bytheway, all the pike and musky came on the same lure.
MTM

#12 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:20 AM

bala, how big were the walleye you caught? off your cottage dock?

#13 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

the walleye weren't very big, about three-four pounds each, and we caught them down in gaunt bay while trolling

#14 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:50 PM

oo nice. No pictures though?

#15 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

nah, no pictures, i didn't have my camera at the cottage, but i'm going up for the first two weeks of august, i plan to document the whole two weeks fishing in different places, and i'm graduated yesterday so i'm out of school and will have a lot more time to fish now anyway, i will definately make some reports :oops:

#16 muskyred

muskyred

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:02 PM

Hii! can anyone tell me how to get to Moon River from Toronto? is there an exact address right near the river that I can google Map? sorry...Newbie here :mrgreen: :?

Moon River Cottages, 894 Arnolds Bay Road, Mactier Ontario.
1-705-375-2081
www.moonrivercottages.com