• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hi everyone, got a question to ask~ Has anyone here had experience fishing from an inflatable boat (meaning those cheap ones for about 200 bucks) and are they even worth the time?

Things I'm skeptical about : Pumping time (buy a pump besides the boat?)
Safety? (Assuming that we will only go out on calm days)
Will the entire setup fit inside a sedan trunk?
Is there a need to add a motor to one of these things?

Lately, me and my buddy are dying to get onto a boat and do some fishing...Would this be better or should i try and get a rental one day instead?

#2 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

i would never trust it, just the though of getting the hook in it in the middle of lake enough to pass on.
dont worry about pumping time, connect electric pump to the car and set up your rods while you wait.
you need all safety like any other boat, flashlights, whisles, anchors vests and so on..
my neighbour has an inflatable with 4hp engine, he flies in his dingy, but with the motor 2 person boat becomes one person boat, not too much room left. try looking into kayaks, they are fast on water and takes no time to set up, the weight is smaller and takes little care.

#3 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:09 AM

Hey Edwin... After being on an inflatable, I think I can offer some advice :D

The $200 ones I would probably stay away from. Unless they have multiple separated compartments (so if one leaks, you'll still stay afloat!) and wooden baseboards.
Also the material makes a difference too.

My buddy has an inflatable (which we were on last year at Scugog... where I caught my ridiculous largemouth!). It is super thick, compact, and generally feels pretty safe.

Pumping time (buy a pump besides the boat?)
- pumping time is fairly quick with the included pump or i guess you can go out and buy it. Just a couple minutes and it's done. I'm not exaggerating.
Safety? (Assuming that we will only go out on calm days)
- it is safe.. like you said, assuming you go out on calm days only. The sides are high and generally the whole thing is wide and stable. I would say it's just as safe as a canoe if not more so (less tippy than canoe due to width). In terms of it leaking air due to hooks... I would say that if you were throwing huge muskie lures then, okay...there may be a risk... but smaller sized hooks should pose little risk.
Will the entire setup fit inside a sedan trunk?
- definitely! that's the only reason many people get them, because you don't have to put them on top of a car or store them in garage or backyard...they will and can easily be stuffed into the trunk or put into the basement somewhere when not in use. the one my friend had came in a big duffel type bag... it's just the wooden baseboards that may take up a little more space. not enough to complain about though.
Is there a need to add a motor to one of these things?
- i am going to say DEFINITELY. be it a small gas or a electric trolling motor. when we went out to scugog, we didn't bring a motor and the wind blew us around like we were a leaf on the water. there is very little drag with an inflatable so any current/wind will push you around. we had to paddle till our arms fell off just to fight the wind (10-15km/h) when going back to the launch spot. We also forgot to bring the anchor...which would've helped while we fished.

btw...did pretty well with walleyes yesterday
you got pm'd :oops:

#4 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:05 PM

thanks for all the info, do you know what model of the inflatable that your friend got?

#5 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

hmm.... i can't recall..but it might've been a brig.

#6 Mark101

Mark101

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

Don't waste your money on a $200 inflatable. A decent inflatable will cost upwards of $1000. A few manufacturers that you should consider are Seamor Marine (BC), Rubberduck Boats (BC) MN Boats (ON), they carry Saturn boats and are located in Mississauga. You're best bet might be to try kijiji or craigslist. I have a 14' Seamor Marine with 9.9 hp, it flies along nicely and is rated for 2000lbs or 8 person capacity. It has 5 seperate air chambers so it's practically unsinkable. I spent most of the winter shopping around, if you need any advice let me know.

#7 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

Mark101, If I do purchase from kijiji and such, what price should i be looking to pay?

#8 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:26 PM

BPS sells what they call a BASS SEEKER for under a grand. Something to look into. You can actually put a motor on the back of them. I belive no more than a 9.9hp

Better option if you have the money.

Dirk

#9 pogon02

pogon02

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:12 PM

This Boat looks interesting as well:

http://www.cabelas.c... ... 21340&rid=

#10 balapickerel

balapickerel

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

in my opinion it would be best to go for a float tube, they work great, the inflatable boats just aren't too easy to work out of,unless they are the ones with the hard bottoms and the inflatable edges

#11 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

nice, more options..Will definitely be needing to do a lot more research!

#12 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:33 PM

Don't waste your money on a $200 inflatable. A decent inflatable will cost upwards of $1000. A few manufacturers that you should consider are Seamor Marine (BC), Rubberduck Boats (BC) MN Boats (ON), they carry Saturn boats and are located in Mississauga. You're best bet might be to try kijiji or craigslist. I have a 14' Seamor Marine with 9.9 hp, it flies along nicely and is rated for 2000lbs or 8 person capacity. It has 5 seperate air chambers so it's practically unsinkable. I spent most of the winter shopping around, if you need any advice let me know.

Good Advice there
Had a Sevylor and hated it (HF280) it was a piece of junk. I sold it after using it only once.
Go to kijiji.ca there are several inflatable for sale now. BRIG, Saturn etc etc or Zodiac if you have the money.
I now have a 11 ft Aquamarine inflatable with alum. floor boards and inflatable keel. It all fits into the back of my Suabru Legacy wagon and fits perfectly with my two boys.

Jose

#13 Mark101

Mark101

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:59 PM

ec!, It all depends on the size of boat you want,the age, motor size etc. There are a couple of boats on kijiji for sale right now ranging from $300 to $700. If you can get a relatively new boat with a motor for under $1000 you're doing OK. My boat alone cost $1500 and my 97 Johnson 9.9 cost $800. I just checked kijiji and there is a 11' OMC with 9.5 Johnson for $700, something like that is what you should be looking for. If you do go to see any boats, bring some soapy water with you and check the seams and valves for leaks.

#14 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:55 AM

Thanks, Will look into that!

#15 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

Good luck with your search.

Dirk

#16 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

once you get your inflatable, we'll hit up some calm bays or scugog on a nice day. you in your inflatable, and me in my canoe...
it'll be great!

#17 pogon02

pogon02

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

They have this 20% off at crappy tire:

http://www.canadiant... ... 5413049368