19 replies to this topic

#1 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a portable boat. I looked and narrowed it down to two type of boats
1. InstaBoat (Product link: http://www.instaboat.com/produits.html ) which is made of aluminum

and

2. Pot-a-bote (Product link: http://www.porta-bote.com/) which is made of plastic

As I do not know much about boats, I was wondering if I can ask some of you guys who are experinced for some inputs.
To clarify, I would not attempt to use this boat for some heavy fishing, like using downriggers in middle of lake Ontario or any large lake. What I would like is to use it on some smaller lakes , Like Canal Lake, Mountsberg, Scugog, etc. or if I would use it on larger lake, like lake Simcoe, Balsam Lake, Rice Lake...., I would not go far from the shore, maybe 100 - 200 m , that is all.

What I am interested in, what is your opinion (or experience ) on this type of boat, how secure it might be, would 2 HP motor be good enough for purpose I intend to use it for (or I would still need stronger motor ) ?

In terms of pricing, port-a- boat starts at around $2300 while InstaBoat - I think is $1700 at Bass Pro Shop.

While I prefer port-a-bote - I I am not going to spend this kind of money, then plus motor, plus, plus...

I found guy locally who sells instaboat (he says it was used only few times over 2 seasons) for about $950. What do you think about this, is this acceptable deal ?

Any input on this topic would be GREATLY appreciated !

(P.S. I am thinking of portable boat and I live in high rise building and do not have place or space to store full ssize proper boat)

#2 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

looks interesting, but what about inflatable ?

#3 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

of those two i would pick porta-boat.
also found nice read here
http://www.spinnfisc... ... leich.html
http://www.tackletou...wportabote.html

#4 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

looks interesting, but what about inflatable ?

Inflatable - I am just not too comfortable with, I would be always afraid that it would puncture when I am on water, I do not know just not too comfortable about inflatables

#5 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

The price & specs of the instaboat look good, what I would do is see if the guy selling his for $950 can let you "test drive it" and if you like it buy it. A 55# trolling motor would be good enough if your not in a hurry just make sure you have a paddle as backup, should go at least 2.5mph+ thats all you would need if your going to stay close to shore.

#6 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

The price & specs of the instaboat look good, what I would do is see if the guy selling his for $950 can let you "test drive it" and if you like it buy it. A 55# trolling motor would be good enough if your not in a hurry just make sure you have a paddle as backup, should go at least 2.5mph+ thats all you would need if your going to stay close to shore.

Thanks Bigfisherman! Test drive is great idea, I will ask and see what guy says. I just called BPS and they told me they sell 2.5 Hp motor for around $1000. Hm, I was hoping to spend less then that. I'll see if there are some deal on motors on Craigslist and Kijiji.

#7 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

Thanks Bigfisherman! Test drive is great idea, I will ask and see what guy says. I just called BPS and they told me they sell 2.5 Hp motor for around $1000. Hm, I was hoping to spend less then that. I'll see if there are some deal on motors on Craigslist and Kijiji.

Np, you can pick up a new suzuki 2.5hp motor for $899 or yamaha for slightly more. Those are ideal as they would have a built in fuel tank and you can prolly go for 3hrs+. An electric would be much cheaper tho. Don't forget places like mounstberg, island lake, etc are electric only anyway.

#8 PainInTheBass

PainInTheBass

Sunfish

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:46 AM

I second the recommendation of an electric trolling motor. They are going to be less expensive, and will definitely be sufficient for small bodies of water and staying close to shore. A portable boat would be great for places like Mountsberg, but you should know that Mountsberg, and several other small lakes in the GRCA are electric only.

A paddle with electric or gas is a must under the rules for pleasure crafts. You must get a pleasure craft operators card to operate a boat with any type of motor. Good luck with your choice.

#9 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for all inputs guys !

I was also thinking about electrical motor, but I had very bad experience with those - I went to Island Lake in Orangeville , rented a boat there , it was windy (not extremely windy in my opinion) and I could not even get out on water from the docks. That electrical motor was pitifully weak, completely useless, so I am thinking if I were to use electrical motor I have absolutely no confidence it would manage to get me anywhere ( as a second motor - for trolling - O.K., but as main motor - I am very skeptical about it ?)

#10 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

We were discussing this when out on Canal. I like the idea of asking the gentleman for a local test run. Seeing how much they are new, the $950 price tag is a good deal (if you factor that it eliminates paying taxes). I would note during your trip how stable the vessel is, would it be comfortable enough for you and your son to fish from, check for leaks or abrassions that could lead to future problems, and see how high it sits in the water (if it were you and your son, all your gear, a motor, battery/gastank would it still be safe in a fairly good chop?).

Obtaining an operators card is essential, and a must after September 15th for all classes of watercraft. Also ensure that you have the proper gear when out on the water, water patrol is always interested in these items when inspecting. These items include anchor, bailer, floating rope, whistle, water proof falshlight, directional lights (if planning on being out after dark) and enough life jackets for occupants on the vessel. I may be missing an item or two on the short list as memory of what I have in my boat eludes me this morning, so if I missed anything ,others please chime in.

I would also endorse a good electric motor; 55# of thrust would suffice for the boat and an electric would allow you mobility on some of those waterbodies where gas motors are restricted; ie, Mountsberg. Note that a deep-cycle marine battery and a charger would be on your shopping lists in this regard. These motors are great because of the almost zero maintenance required and if you mash up a prop (at 2.5kmh, lol, ya never know) its relatively inexpensive compared to one for a gas motor.

Good luck in your search!

#11 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for all inputs guys !

I was also thinking about electrical motor, but I had very bad experience with those - I went to Island Lake in Orangeville , rented a boat there , it was windy (not extremely windy in my opinion) and I could not even get out on water from the docks. That electrical motor was pitifully weak, completely useless, so I am thinking if I were to use electrical motor I have absolutely no confidence it would manage to get me anywhere ( as a second motor - for trolling - O.K., but as main motor - I am very skeptical about it ?)

You where most likely using a old minn kota 30#(or less) with perhaps a low battery, with a 55# you will be fine I trolled Simcoe using a 55# in 15kph winds! in a 1500#+ boat(2 ppl+motor +gear+20 galons of fuel). and was going too fast..never had an issue with my old 14ft with a 55# in any kind of winds including white caps(30kph+) in island lake.

#12 PainInTheBass

PainInTheBass

Sunfish

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

I love me some trolling motors lol. Before I got the boat this year, we used an inflatable with up to 4 men fishing at a time. Kind of funny our setup, but it worked. We used a 40 lb thrust motor, and I never had a problem with enough power except when weeds got caught up in the prop.

This year, my trolling motor on a low battery saved my bacon. I was doing some on the water electrical work (bad idea I know) and blew a fuse (which I couldn't confirm at the time due to the location of the fuse box on the motor and me not know where it was). With the gas motor out of action, our 55 lb thrust trolling motor brought us (19' aluminum boat) in from the middle of Cooke's Bay to a Marina. The battery died while in the marina lol.

Anyhow, if you maintain your trolling motor, and battery (probably more important than the motor) and get something in the 40 - 55 lb thrust range, you should be fine in a small boat. 40 would suffice, 55 would give ya the juice to motor along at a decent pace.

#13 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

I love me some trolling motors lol. Before I got the boat this year, we used an inflatable with up to 4 men fishing at a time. Kind of funny our setup, but it worked. We used a 40 lb thrust motor, and I never had a problem with enough power except when weeds got caught up in the prop.

This year, my trolling motor on a low battery saved my bacon. I was doing some on the water electrical work (bad idea I know) and blew a fuse (which I couldn't confirm at the time due to the location of the fuse box on the motor and me not know where it was). With the gas motor out of action, our 55 lb thrust trolling motor brought us (19' aluminum boat) in from the middle of Cooke's Bay to a Marina. The battery died while in the marina lol.

Anyhow, if you maintain your trolling motor, and battery (probably more important than the motor) and get something in the 40 - 55 lb thrust range, you should be fine in a small boat. 40 would suffice, 55 would give ya the juice to motor along at a decent pace.

I keep my motor manual on the boat just in case also my main motor can be pull started if needed, most likely yours can too. Just take some rope and go thru the process without actually starting it so you have an idea if an emergency arises and you can't start the motor via battery.(ie leave fish finder or lights on then batt dies). I know your case might of been different if it was a fuse.

Back to trolling motors, get the 55# just incase you need to get to shore faster or need to use the washroom! should only be $50 more then the 40-45#.

#14 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

O.K. thank you - all of you who are helping - your inputs and advise is greatly appreciated.

Here is update:

Yesterday I went to BPS to check instaboat on display there and spoke to a salesman. He was , to say the least, not interested to talk much about it, he plainly dislikes the boat ; said he has no confidence in it because it feels like very thin tin can, (so it was impossible to ask any question since he hates the boat) and was recommending inflatable Zodiac boats , made of Kevlar, which BPS do not sell anyways. Now they are selling smaller boat 10'8", 30 kg weight for $1,695 (so price went up $200 since last year)

Earlier today, I went to see and check out Instaboat from guy who is selling it, he was kind enough to show me everything and answer all my question. As several of you recommended, I asked him for a "test drive" but he was not keen on agreeing with it.

I also checked out BPS web site for trolling motors, and there is huge price range, for which (to me) looks live the same or similar motor with the same trust power. In short, prices for trolling motor with 55 lb of thrust are from $300 to over $1000 (not including battery & charger) , actually , sorry I just so one - BPS brand for $200.
Obviously I will have to do some more research and reading on this, since there are lot of things unclear (or confusing) to me , like what shaft length I need (and why this matters) , then all this business of 12 V or 24 V ( why this matters ?) and with "variable speed" or not, etc. etc.

Anyways, I need to do some more thinking......

#15 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:34 PM

I received some very usefull info from you guys - so thank you very much again.

If I may ask for your opinion on this:

I narrowed down my selection of trolling motors on these 3 models:

1. Bass Pro Shops® Prowler™ T55/40 Trolling Motor Product link: http://www.basspro.c...__SearchResults ,
priced $199 US and rated 5 stars (out of 5)

2. Minn Kota® Endura™ Transom-Mount Trolling Motors , Product link: http://www.basspro.c...__SearchResults,
priced $299 US and rated 4.6 stars (out of 5)

3. Minn Kota® TRAXXIS™ Transom-Mount Trolling Motors , Product link : http://www.basspro.c...tems#itemDetail Priced : 394.99 US ( for variable speed ) or $299 for 5 speed ; and rated 3 stars (out of 5)

I do not know how reliable is BPS brand, but it seems it got the best rating and it is the most affordable, personal;ly I am leaning towards # 2 Minn Kota® Endura™ Transom-Mount Trolling Motor.

Thanks

#16 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:48 PM

I put over 200hrs last year on my 55# 36" shaft minn kota endura transom mount motor never had an issue with it. Check out le baron sometimes they have really good specials on minn kotas, I remember I only paid $225(taxes in) for mine after a $60 rebate.

#17 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

I would trust your instinct and go with the Minn Kota, Halleb; I have no confidence in BPS products - I find their products lack quality. For instance, remember the floro leaders I showed you that I tied this winter? I produced a third of the batch using BPS snaps and bearing swivels. On each that had BPS brand hardware, I lost fish, lures...all on the darn hardware (split ring would break off, eye would pop out iof the bearing swivel, all on hammerhandles or on the cast.). I had to cut them all off, purchase quality P-Line snaps and Spro bearing-swivels and re-tie.

In addition, I've had good experience with a litlle minn kota in the past. Durable and dependable....Minn Kota all the way.

#18 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:47 AM

minn kota all teh way. mine has not failed me and it was refurbished too.
i have variable speed which i recommend over the standard 5 forward speed and 3 reverse speeds.
saves on battery and you can go as slow as you want (as some people think that the 1st speed is still too fast, especially on smaller watercraft.
i agree with bigfisherman. Check le barons as they usually have specials going on for minn kotas.

#19 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for all of your inputs guys! After much deliberation I think I am going to postpone buying this portable boat till next year,

#20 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hmm, I think there is a bit too much hate for the inflatables. I know they may seem unsafe, but the material they use is much stronger than those cheap single person ones at Canadian Tire designed for swimming pools. Inflatables are made using PVC or Hypalon, I would recommend Hyaplon as it is much stronger. Also Zodiac makes some serious long lasting boats, we had a 12' zodiac from 1985 and used it til 2005. Keep in mind these boats are made with chambers, so if the front loses air, you still have the sides full of air. Even then it'll be a very small hole, something which is barely noticeable and which you can patch up after. An inflatable would be easier to store than the porta-bote. This is because when you store an inflatable, you roll it up. The porta-bote still remains lengthwise, which would be very hard to store seeing as you mentioned living in a highrise apartment. Even then it seems like a challenge to carry the porta-bote with one person.