• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Cypher

Cypher

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

Last fishing trip before I head back to the books. Went up to Orangeville again to see if we could find some LM bass at Island Lake. Overall a great day. Total count was 19 Pike, 1LM and 1 relatively large rock bass. Biggest pike came in at 2.25lb, and the LM bass we caught was not far off at 2.22lb. All caught on spinnerbaits today. Still cant find them big ones though. Was hanging around the drop offs between 6-22ft water (deepest in the lake) where we caught most of the pike, but no big boys. Guess we have to wait until it gets a bit cooler.

Ill update the pictures of the Bass and a couple more pike after, as my phone died towards the end of the trip, so my friend had to photograph the rest of the catches on his phone. But other than that. Each picture is of a different pike, with the exception of pic 4 and 5 which are the same. Thanks for looking! Cheers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://farm3.static....5a17b8aea_b.jpg

http://farm4.static....ee20bcf3b_b.jpg

http://farm4.static....78ff94899_b.jpg

http://farm3.static....1202c86de_b.jpg

http://farm3.static....f032354af_b.jpg

http://farm4.static....d995e75ae_b.jpg

Biggest one of the day.

http://farm3.static....8f04f755f_b.jpg

#2 tangledline

tangledline

Perch

• Active Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:23 AM

wow!!!19 pike one outing! i think i remember that you just recently caught your first...? i must say i think you have pike fishing technique perfected...awesome...very happy for you...thanks for sharing the pics...

#3 TrippyJai

TrippyJai

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

How long does it take you to get to the deep part of the lake on the rentals?

Do people ever shore fish there? If there a lot of shore spots?

I've been wanting to hit up Island Lake for quite some time, but I heard the fishing pressure was crazy so I held it off for a while. Wondering if it was worth going for some LM's.

#4 David Kearney

David Kearney

Perch

• Active Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

Wow, great job, some pretty little pike. They are just hammering it! Keep em coming.

#5 Cypher

Cypher

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

Thanks guys. I was suprised at how many pike we managed to land, especially with the pressure (30+ other boats on the water). But still we cant manage to bring out the big guys. Might switch over to some spoons later and see if that helps with the size.

here is a map of where I caught most of the pike, and the green dot being the LM bass.

Posted Image

I've been wanting to hit up Island Lake for quite some time, but I heard the fishing pressure was crazy so I held it off for a while. Wondering if it was worth going for some LM's.

Hey Jai,

To get to the deep part, it takes maybe 10-15 minutes, as those trolling motors are sloooowww. Fishing pressure is ok during the weekdays, but weekends are hammered. Not many places to fish from shore. I see only 3-4, and they are almost always taken.

This would be my 2nd time at Island lake, and we've pulled in 27 Pike and only 1 Bass. And we were here trying to target bass, hitting fallen trees, lilypads, any kind of structure where I thought bass would hide, but managed only 1 2lber. So I would say Pike are heavy dominant in this lake, and also which could explain why the LM bass at Island lake are "Catch and Release ONLY".

Cheers

#6 TrippyJai

TrippyJai

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

Thanks for the very helpful post Cypher. I think I will hold off on Island Lake this year. Doesn't seem too appealing for me. I think it would be a lot of fun catching 20-30 pikes, but at the same time, the idea of a slow trolling motor and the $100 rate for a full day rental sucks. If I do go, it'll be a last minute trip.

#7 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the very helpful post Cypher. I think I will hold off on Island Lake this year. Doesn't seem too appealing for me. I think it would be a lot of fun catching 20-30 pikes, but at the same time, the idea of a slow trolling motor and the $100 rate for a full day rental sucks. If I do go, it'll be a last minute trip.

One thing you can do is if you have a buddy with a 55# transom mount electric, will make things a lot faster on that lake...I had one for rentals since some rental places just give you a gas motor. Was definitly worth the investment if you fish/rent a lot.

#8 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

Thanks guys. I was suprised at how many pike we managed to land, especially with the pressure (30+ other boats on the water). But still we cant manage to bring out the big guys. Might switch over to some spoons later and see if that helps with the size.

here is a map of where I caught most of the pike, and the green dot being the LM bass.

Posted Image

Hey Jai,

To get to the deep part, it takes maybe 10-15 minutes, as those trolling motors are sloooowww. Fishing pressure is ok during the weekdays, but weekends are hammered. Not many places to fish from shore. I see only 3-4, and they are almost always taken.

This would be my 2nd time at Island lake, and we've pulled in 27 Pike and only 1 Bass. And we were here trying to target bass, hitting fallen trees, lilypads, any kind of structure where I thought bass would hide, but managed only 1 2lber. So I would say Pike are heavy dominant in this lake, and also which could explain why the LM bass at Island lake are "Catch and Release ONLY".

Cheers

Congrats looks like you marked the good spots on that Lake, try in early October the pike get bigger and less weeds a DT-6/10 perch crank bait will get you some decent size pike.

#9 Cypher

Cypher

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the tip! Will definately try to use the crankbaits once the weeds start to drop down.

Managed to get a pic of the bass we caught from my friend. here it is.

Posted Image

#10 Karl

Karl

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

Great pics and great fishing Cypher! thanks for sharing.

I went there several weeks ago.

#11 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:11 PM

wow nice job! You are hitting the books again too eh? haha. I'm sad that my fishing time will go way down, after fishing 2 - 3 times a week all summer.

#12 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:27 PM

You are now the pike master!

Good job buddy...

#13 Rommy69

Rommy69

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

Hi,just one question:can you bring your own boat to this lake,or you have to rent?
Thanks.

#14 TrippyJai

TrippyJai

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

I am 99.9% sure you can bring your own boat and launch there, but it's a electric motor lake only.

I was wondering for these type of lakes, what if I bring a boat with a motor attached, but don't use the motor, if that allowed?

#15 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

I am 99.9% sure you can bring your own boat and launch there, but it's a electric motor lake only.

I was wondering for these type of lakes, what if I bring a boat with a motor attached, but don't use the motor, if that allowed?

I am sure that is allowed.

#16 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

Great photos and report - thanks for sharing, and congratulations on very succesful day !

SPecial thanks for posting map of Island Lake with spots maked - this is very helpful and much appreciated !!!

#17 disspatcher

disspatcher

• Active Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

Great report and nice snot-rockets!

BTW...not to be a pain in the bass....but whats with the gloves?
Ive noticed a few other people posting pics showing off the catch with gloves on?

Are these a type of fishing glove? I was always told not to wear gloves because it removes the fishes slime..(more so than a bare hand).

Can anyone clarifly this?

Just wondering.
Disspatcher.

#18 Bigfisherman

Bigfisherman

Perch

• Active Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

Yes I can confirm its allowed, I've seen 21ft bass boats with huge motors in the lake, the gas motor has to be tilted all the way up(not in the water).

#19 TrippyJai

TrippyJai

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:32 AM

Yes I can confirm its allowed, I've seen 21ft bass boats with huge motors in the lake, the gas motor has to be tilted all the way up(not in the water).

Thank you for confirming this.

#20 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

Hey dispatcher,

I have a set of gloves that I use for Pike/Musky. They are a protector from the gill rakes when you handle them from under the gill and hold their jaw. You are right that they remove the fish slime, but so do nets, bump boards, hands, etc....all to a different degree, true. It is a good idea to use a glove when handling a pike by it's gill rakes, those things are sharp as razors man and can give you a deep cut. A cut on you hand from a pike can make for a real uncomfortable day on the water.