• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

Anyone know any good ultra light rods that I can pick up at BPS or La Baron? I fish crappie in a local pond, the rod is small and thin but its a medium action rod and it just doesn't feel right.

#2 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

LeBaron has 5'6" shimano clarus in ultralight on sale.
I can't remember how much, but it's a good deal.

I have 2 setups for my crappie outings.
5'6" shimano convergence
5'6" shimano clarus
Shimano sedona 750 on both.

The convergence is more whippy than the clarus.

#3 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

I like Medium Light rods more than UL. :mrgreen: That way, it handles bigger fish better and more importantly, it's not as whippy: especially on the hooksets I like to give.

You'd probably need to go handle them at the store.
The length of the rod is also personal preference. I usually would like a longer rod (Mine is 6'6) for casting distance, but Mr. Frozenfire over here casts further than any cast I can make with a 5'6. If I had the money, I'd be buying myself a 7' UL rod just to try to beat him at the casting. Lol.

Cheaper and Dependable Rods : Shimano's, Daiwa Procyon, The new Rapala UL rods coming out.
I also like my rod a lot too: Damiki EX - comes in UL too. Comes in at just around 100 bucks. with shipping and everything.

#4 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

5'6" shimano convergence
5'6" shimano clarus

...and you still have ul rods for fall and spring crappies after trying streams?
get rid of them. :mrgreen:

#5 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:32 PM

I've found this:

http://www.basspro.c... ... rchResults

Been thinking of getting the 5 foot one piece. I've heard from local crappie fishermen that one piece are better, and I won't be fishing in streams (will try out fly fishing in the summer) just ponds and my old Algonquin Park honey hole which produce mega rock bass. What would be the difference between the casting range of the 5 ft and 7 ft 6 inch?

#6 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

5'6" shimano convergence
5'6" shimano clarus

...and you still have ul rods for fall and spring crappies after trying streams?
get rid of them. :(

There will always be a place for crappie in my heart :mrgreen:

But man.....stream fishing is so addictive. I just keep wanting more and more :lol:
I'm at work and all I can think about is doing a couple drifts somewhere...always itching to drift 8)

#7 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:53 PM

I've found this:

http://www.basspro.c... ... rchResults

Been thinking of getting the 5 foot one piece. I've heard from local crappie fishermen that one piece are better, and I won't be fishing in streams (will try out fly fishing in the summer) just ponds and my old Algonquin Park honey hole which produce mega rock bass. What would be the difference between the casting range of the 5 ft and 7 ft 6 inch?

1 piece or 2 piece doesn't make that much of a difference for myself. I don't have much experience with 1 piece rods, but I assume they are more sensitive with a solid backbone.

The difference in the casting distance between a 5' and a 7'6" depends on a lot of things. Like the reel, the lure used, the line used, etc. Generally speaking, I find a longer rod gives you longer distance. Really depends how you're fishing though.

#8 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

I too prefer a ML to a UL...a little more backbone, and a fast action tip will get you out further.

One significant difference between a 5foot and a 7.5foot rod is on hook sets. I assume you'll use this rod for pannies, which have softer mouths than most sport fish. A 7.5foot rod will pick up more line when you sweep the rod on a hook set, sometimes too much resulting in more missed hits. A 5footer combined with a swift hook set is just enough for pannies.

A thin diameter braided line, attach a corresponding floroucarbon leader, allows for greater sensitivity...sometimes the little guys like to nibble and you'll feel each one.

My panfish set up is a 6'6" Fenwick HMX ML (two-piece, great for travel/storage), 8 pound powerpro braided, same diameter flourocarbon, Shimano Sedona, drag set loose. I prefer to use live worms under a float but sometimes change up to microjigs and even half a senko on a small sized off-set shank hook rigged either wacky or texas/weightless. Floating jointed j-7 rapalas are deadly for perch and crappie...sometimes you can get them to bite in the eight!

reefrunner

#9 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

mykester, I wouldn't be getting a BPS house brand rod for the price that they are giving.
I'd probably prefer to pay about the same for something actually branded...There are shimano's, daiwa's, and quantum's at that price....of which shimano has them with a lifetime warranty too!

But reef, I like mono a bit more than braid :mrgreen: There's just something about the small amount of stretch during the hookset that can't be replaced for me.

I believe I also read somewhere that a 7'6 UL will have more backbone to handle bigger fish than the 5' UL.

and MOST IMPORTANTLY, I think it's pretty important to have more than 1 UL rod when fishing for crappie. Nothing sucks more than retying when you see those near you are right onto a school, landing one on every cast. I made that mistake far too many times this year.

#10 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

I can see your point ec1. I like the sensitivity of braid. I tie a 10 foot leader of flouro (uni-uni knot) so there is a little stretch. I tried just braid and found it was too stiff and I was missing alot of hooksets.

#11 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

There will always be a place for crappie in my heart :mrgreen:

i'll see if you gonna have place for crappies after fishing spring chrome run. :lol:

#12 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:59 AM

So Efka, You don't fish for crappie at all anymore do you?

#13 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:45 AM

So Efka, You don't fish for crappie at all anymore do you?

only through the ice, when the rivers are locked up.

#14 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

I went out today. The Fenwick HMX caught my eye, very nice rod, also very light in your hand. At $65 it's a steal.

#15 durham-fisher

durham-fisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

wicked sensitive rods are the best. especially with fishing conditions slowing down alot when its cold and in the spring when it hasnt quite warmed up yet.

shimano curcial with the index finger slot is the perfect rod. it has back bone and comes in any size
if you wanna go all out the cumara is the most sensitive

if not either of those go with the st croix AVID series. best bang for the bcuk rod out there and a good deal on them is not hard to find.

#16 Dr. G

Dr. G

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:03 PM

You might want to check these Albright rods out:
http://www.albrightf... ... nning.html
They say they list for $300 but I don't think these are really $300 rods. But in any case at $80 bucks they're a really a good deal. They compare very favorably, I would say better than the St. Croix Premier Travel rod which at BPS sells for around $225. The Albright spinning rods are all travel rods (4 piece) and they're really nicely made. I haven't had mine on the water yet but it certainly feels good in hand and dry casting (yep that's me standing in the middle of the school yard aiming for the garbage can lid.) Anyway worth a look.

#17 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up a Fenwick Eagle GT (I have a Shakespeare Eagle GT, wtf?) at Le Baron. It's a two piece rod. Anyways it's really sensitive, got some Fireline crystal 4 lb testline to go with it, can't wait to try it out in the spring, or if my fishing spot on the Humber isn't frozen over, I'll try it out in a few days on some chubs.

#18 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

why wait for spring, go hook some lake trout, lets see how it bends :mrgreen:

#19 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:21 AM

why wait for spring, go hook some lake trout, lets see how it bends :lol:

Lol, I must've caught something last night because I am sick. I'll have to postpone this trip :mrgreen:

#20 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

Nice purchase; I love my fenwicks. You won't be disappointed.