• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

I'll be hitting up the T.O. Islands all week for the first time, what are some good pike lures that do well in this area?

#2 ec1

ec1

Perch

• Active Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:05 AM

mykester, this is a good website for some pike info.
http://www.in-fisher... ... othy-tales

I only caught one in my life before on a crankbait, and it was a lipless crank that was dragged across the bottom very slowly. People say suspended is the way to go now, and that's what i've been trying lately, with no luck of course.

#3 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the tip. I've had luck before with pike but that was only on live bait.

#4 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

When I fished for Pike on Simcoe in the past I had most of my luck trolling a Jointed Rapala. As for now I strictly use suspending cranks like the Rapala Husky Jerk and occasionally an X-Rap.

Another lure that I've tried on Pike but haven't caught anything yet is a suspending crank made by a local Canadian guy(Fish Master Lures). I've caught walleye and bass with them insummer but no pike yet.

http://www.fishmasterlures.net

Dirk

#5 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:30 PM

Checked out fish master, a bit too expensive at the moment, may get something from there though later in the summer.

#6 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hand crafted baits made in limited quantities are always more expensive then the ones mass produced by the large lure companies.

Dirk

#7 Kozak Angler

Kozak Angler

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

Caught a 4 and half pound pike in wisconsin off a jointed shad rap (baby Bass). Next day my cousin catches a walleye bout 18-20 inches with it. Just nice a steady retrieve with a little up and down motion.

#8 052634

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:12 AM

I use to fish the Islands in the late 70s,early 80s use to kill them on Mepps spinners #3,4 also once the weeds got up we use to fish the marinas over there and flutter spinner baits in the weed pockets and get a lot of large pike Good Luck

#9 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:52 PM

bucktails are first on my list
you can fish deep or shallow, fast or slow, and it gives a lot vibrations to cover a lot of water.

#10 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

My first pike (and only so far, i'm a newbie too) was on a red/white red devil spoon. No, not the $7 ones, a knock-off from Dollarama. Le Baron has some now for under $1 each.

So you don't need expensive tackle for pike.

#11 manitoubass2

manitoubass2

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

There are plenty of good lures, spoons, spinnerbaits etc that will catch alot of pike.

One bait I wouldn't go pike fishing with out is the Rapala X-Rap Subwalk, clown color. Pike really like that walk the dog type motion I like the #11 size

Another good option is the Rapala Flat Rap, Firetiger. #10

The Storm Thundersticks with uv coating in green fire uv is deadly for low light conditions. I think its a 5"

#12 Nick Evans

Nick Evans

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

I'll be hitting up the T.O. Islands all week for the first time, what are some good pike lures that do well in this area?

I would try a smithwick rogue or a rapala husky jerk. You can also try using a 4"-6" plastic sented minnow bait with little or no weight and last but not least a live minnow . Work it very slow this time of year....Twitch, Twitch......30 second pause. The pike are in prespawn mode right now and are not willing to chase baits that are moving quickly. I was out in the boat twice in early March and we did very good with baits working them very slow. Here are a few pike I got in the last two weeks in Lake Ontario.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

beast pike! nice going! i'm going to use that advice on my retrieves

#14 Split-shot

Split-shot

Sunfish

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

Wow nice fish IamNickEvans those are pigs! what area of lake O did you catch them?

i was at toronto islands for most of the day yesterday and didn't see one pike. did see some big carp swimming around though.

Fished with mepps, crankbaits and worms.

I would go with xraps med size of husky jerks.

#15 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

To be honest anywhere you go for pike you will always catch different sizes of pike from a simple small grass pike to a deeper 10-15 feet of water pig on a well known Mepp! All you have to do is spend the 6 bucks on a size 5 mepp(prefer the traditional silver) and attack a white, neon green, or yellow grub on the hook to give it just that little bit of extra action. I have caught numerous pike with this one bait. If I was stuck out on a lake with pike I would be able to survive with just my 30 lbs power pro braided line, Wire liter, and a size 5 mepp with a packet of grubs!

Attached Images

• PIKE.jpg

#16 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

All you have to do is spend the 6 bucks on a size 5 mepp(prefer the traditional silver) and attack a white, neon green, or yellow grub on the hook to give it just that little bit of extra action

Holla! My first pike of the year was finally on a No. 3 mepps long tipped with a white grub... that was after trying every lure in the box lol. I was so excited that I swore it would be my favourite pike lure :P

#17 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Holla! My first pike of the year was finally on a No. 3 mepps long tipped with a white grub... that was after trying every lure in the box lol. I was so excited that I swore it would be my favourite pike lure :P

Aha success! Yes the mepps brand brings out some pretty good action when you add little things to it. You can change the hook to a red treble with a feather/grub or even live bait sometimes but I prefer the standard grub change.

#18 T Dot

T Dot

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

Great pics

#19 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Take the advice of the dudes with pics of ten foot pikes before me because I've never hooked anything that big lol. But here is my humble advice:

If you're going deep use a willowleaf spinner blade size 5-6; for medium depth use a french or indiana spinner blade size 4-5; and if you're planning on bulging the surface (my personal fav.) I'd recommend a size 4 Colorado blade. Casting spoons work great and surprisingly so does casting flutter spoons meant to troll with. The erratic action is fantastic IMO.

Bright colours matter in medium and shallow depths, not so much after 15-20 FOW. I like green and yellow chartreuse, flame red, orange, and neon pink. If you can find a spinner or spoon that has these colours and a decent amount of reflective shine you're in the money. Just get your lure noticed, whether through obnoxious colours or wild vibration.

#20 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I don't know about those big city fish, but the country types really like Big "O" . Crayfish and white are my 2 favs. They think the smaller ones are smarties and try to swallow them whole!!