Photo

What is the fishing around Midland and Penetang like?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 swingpure

swingpure

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

I will be moving back to Ontario next spring. We are thinking about moving to the Midland Penetang area. I have fished a lot in Ontario successfully, but I have never fished in this area. The closest I have fished to this area is Waubaushene, either side of the 400 highway.

My favourite fish to fish for is largemouth bass which I primarily fish for in the Kawarthas. Are there largemouth bass in the Midland / Penetang area?

The other area we are considering is Lindsay which is closer to the traditional lakes I have fished, but is a little further away from family.

Thank you for any tips or suggestions you offer.

#2 Afraz

Afraz

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:39 PM

I think Midland has a lot of potential, i dunno about soft water but during hardwater the place is jam packed with walleye, pike and cisco (which you can keep unlike simcoe). Sorry i can't help much since i haven't fished that place during the soft water season.

#3 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

The Midland/Penetang area up to just North of Parry Sound is littered with tiny back woods lakes chalk-full of largies. It's worth to explore/portage some of these gems as they rarely see a soul and the fishing is probably the best largie fishing around.

#4 swingpure

swingpure

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:25 PM

Thank you for the replies so far. Does Penetang Bay hold bass either smallmouth or largemouth? I suspect that it would hold the smallies.

Pike are okay but I have caught so many of them here that I am looking forward to the fresh challange of bass.

#5 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:49 PM

try working the marinas first, if small largemouths are there the bigger ones will be around.

#6 Squidy

Squidy

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

I'm actually going up to Penetang Bay tonight. A friend of mine up there says the area is well stocked. I hear there's pike, walleye, bass (largemouth and smallies so I hear), perch, crappie, bowfin, and lakers/salmon in the deeper water outside of the bay. We'll most likely be targeting pike and walleye inside the bay where the depth is about 25-40 feet max. Pike and walleye open May 1 (tomorrow).

I plan on writing up a report if we have success. I'll PM you with some info when I return.

Cheers,
Andy

#7 swingpure

swingpure

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

Thank you.

I am a year away from moving back to Ontario where I have lived most of my life, but a year can go by fast. I can't wait for my first calm morning when I am retired and I cast out, let the surface lure sit until all of the ripples have gone and give the lure a little twitch and then a big bass explode under it.

#8 LiQz

LiQz

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:01 AM

i fished for 15 mins and caught a pike up there during easter weekend. they have a pretty restricted bass catch limit - i'm sure it has to do with the abundance of bigger predators from georgian bay. i'm going up there for may 24 weekend again. will let you know how it goes! :evil:

#9 swingpure

swingpure

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

I always do catch and release with the bass so the catch restrictions will not be a problem. Walleye (pickeral) and Perch are my favourite table fare.

Thank you for the update.

#10 LiQz

LiQz

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:33 AM

may24

saw quite a few pikes, carps and a bowfin but no luck. hooked 3 bass and a few sunfish. here's the location.

http://maps.google.c...z=18&iwloc=near

i fished behind the bike trail last month but the weeds have grown out by now and it was very difficult to fish there. try getting on a canoe or dingy and work your way around the channel. you should find quite a lot of fish in that area. a couple that was canoeing told me that there was a school of carps spawning at the end of the channel. you can try your luck there if you're into carp fishing. overall, the water very clear and the area's quiet. you can find quite some cover where fish can hide. it's a nice spot.

hope that helps and good fishing to you.

#11 Tenacious_Angler

Tenacious_Angler

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

I fished there couple of times...closer to waubaushene..out of hog bay I belive ..Ive seen walleye channel cat pike and perch pulled out in good numbers....and you can offshore...try it out there

#12 RedSkullz

RedSkullz

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

I fished there couple of times...closer to waubaushene..out of hog bay I belive ..Ive seen walleye channel cat pike and perch pulled out in good numbers....and you can offshore...try it out there

Hoggs bay located in victoria harbour has some decent fishing action, though it can be slow. Ive seen pike to 25 pounds(4 lbs average), walleye to 7lbs(rare) and bass to 6 lbs.(mostly largemouth) The whole bay is littered with broadleaf cabbage. I cant say i have fished midland/penetang bay much, but i have heard that the walleye are coming out of penetang right now.