11 replies to this topic

#1 RickYoung

RickYoung

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Hey all,

Im new to fishing and I live right in the heart of Niagara. I would just like some guidance on fishing hot spots within the Niagara region. Th only issue is I don't have a boat, so I of course am stuck to fishing off a dock or bank. Any suggestions would help a great deal. Thanks

-RY

#2 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

Hi and Welcome to OFF.

I live in the GTA, so my knowledge of that area is limited, but I can tell you that the Whirlpool is first place I would shore fish in that region -- Depending on the time of year, you can catch pretty much anything from bass to trout to salmon, etc...

Oh, one more thing... I was talking to a local last year in Niagara Falls, and he let me in on a little local "secret spot". I haven't been there yet, so I would have to look at a map to recall where it was, but from my memory, it was a reservoir right in Niagara Falls.

Hopefully some of the members here have a little more info.

Cheers!

#3 RickYoung

RickYoung

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thanks very much for your input and welcoming me to OFF. I will give your suggestion a try.

#4 NiagaraAngler

NiagaraAngler

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

I live in the niagara region, the lower and upper niagara river is great for shore fishing, same with lake gibson martindale pond, welland river, chippawa creek, and lyons creek. But fishing the lower niagara river can be tricky with the fast moving current and it like change direction a lot, and it's known for taking a lot of tackle, float fishing is your best bet for fishing down there, you wont lose a much tackle. Any body of water holds fish in the niagara region. Just get out and explore.

Here list of popular spots:
Queenston boat lauch
Whirlpool
Niagara Gorge
Port Dalhousie
Beaver Dams
Welland Aqueducts

#5 Homer is King

Homer is King

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

NiagaraAngler, thanks for the leads!

I'm heading down there for work next week. I plan to hit Queenston from shore. I've never caught a steelhead and figure this is a good place to start. If that doesn't work I'm heading to Beaver Dams for crappie. If I have time I'll hit Dunnville for some channel cats!

#6 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

where do you park if you want to go to the whirlpool?

#7 antoniojay

antoniojay

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:25 PM

where do you park if you want to go to the whirlpool?

Across from the golf course, if you're coming from the whirlpool overlook, keep driving up river rd past whirlpool rd and you'll see a little area for parking on the right. Make sure you find the stairs to go down, because bushwhacking your way down isn't fun at all!

I was down there on Monday, the trail is extremely muddy, I suggest bringing an extra pair of shoes and pants. But the fishing is alright, shotted line with roe does the trick

#8 stdavidsboy

stdavidsboy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

I was down there on Monday, the trail is extremely muddy, I suggest bringing an extra pair of shoes and pants.

They've re-built the stairs... its a lot better now.

#9 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

ive been told that jigging 3 inch minnow jigs under a slip float produces.

#10 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

#11 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

yes they do! but did not for me:( only been once, had no luck at all, but what eles is new.. lol

http://www.biotactic.com/BRAVO.htm
check out the cam feed for the bever river! over 1000 rainbows have made it up since march 12.

#12 troutchaser

troutchaser

Sunfish

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

yes they do! but did not for me:( only been once, had no luck at all, but what eles is new.. lol

http://www.biotactic.com/BRAVO.htm
check out the cam feed for the bever river! over 1000 rainbows have made it up since march 12.

over 6200 have made it over the ganny dam