• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 rcflores

rcflores

Sunfish

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:48 AM

Hi guys what is the earliest salmon run in toronto??? would the salmon go start going up the river in the early August because of heavy rain?? I am very excited to fish for salmon this year so I am just wondering when is the earliest salmon fishing in the GTA

#2 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:41 AM

The earliest salmon I've ever caught from shore was July 13th one year at Port Credit. That was at the mouth of the river, before they started running up-stream.

I believe that it comes down to water temps, and rain definitely triggers them to enter the rivers.

From my years fishing the mouth of the Credit, I can confidently say that there will be a few early salmon starting to creep into the mouth of the Credit at night right about now... within casting range. Once the sun comes up, they take off into deeper water. So if you are getting the salmon bug, I would try Port credit with glow Cleos from 3 AM to 7 AM.

Here's a map for reference:

A: This is where most people fish early in the salmon run - Open year round to fishing.
B: This is the end of the boardwalk. From what I remember, a municipal bylaw prevents you from fishing after August 15th (?) But the fishing is good... get the spot right at the end of the boardwalk for best results. The laws may have changed in the last few years since I've been down there so double check.
C: This is an area we call "the Ridgetown". Fish here at your own risk. Depending on your risk tolerance, the risk can be worth the reward. :D Salmon tend to stack up in this area for some strange reason. It's almost as though the marina acts as one giant minnow trap for salmon.
D: Fish here at your own risk. You're technically not supposed to go around the fence at the end of the boardwalk.

Attached Images

• portcredit.JPG

#3 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

Hi guys what is the earliest salmon run in toronto??? would the salmon go start going up the river in the early August because of heavy rain?? I am very excited to fish for salmon this year so I am just wondering when is the earliest salmon fishing in the GTA

Hey
Where is Mikey/Mikey? He is the expert on this matter LOL

Looking forward to this year with some 40 lbs being caught offshore already :D
Past couple of years have been pretty dry.

Jose

#4 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

Hi, I'm new to this board. I can tell just by looking from the pic that this person must have lots of experience. I can`t wait to try the ones near the ship out from a KAYAK :D

#5 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

Hi, I'm new to this board. I can tell just by looking from the pic that this person must have lots of experience. I can`t wait to try the ones near the ship out from a KAYAK :D

:D you will have so much fun

#6 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

I've seen guys in inflatables and other small craft fish in the Ridgetown area. Never a kayak though... Mind you, lot's of kayakers train in the mouth of the Credit - There is a major Canoe/kayak club that operates just upstream.

If you are serious about fishing from the kayak, please be careful!

#7 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:20 PM

Don't worry, there's some pretty stable fishing kayaks.

#8 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for this - this is good to know !

The earliest salmon I've ever caught from shore was July 13th one year at Port Credit. That was at the mouth of the river, before they started running up-stream.

I believe that it comes down to water temps, and rain definitely triggers them to enter the rivers.

From my years fishing the mouth of the Credit, I can confidently say that there will be a few early salmon starting to creep into the mouth of the Credit at night right about now... within casting range. Once the sun comes up, they take off into deeper water. So if you are getting the salmon bug, I would try Port credit with glow Cleos from 3 AM to 7 AM.

Here's a map for reference:

[attachment=0]portcredit.JPG[/attachment]

A: This is where most people fish early in the salmon run - Open year round to fishing.
B: This is the end of the boardwalk. From what I remember, a municipal bylaw prevents you from fishing after August 15th (?) But the fishing is good... get the spot right at the end of the boardwalk for best results. The laws may have changed in the last few years since I've been down there so double check.
C: This is an area we call "the Ridgetown". Fish here at your own risk. Depending on your risk tolerance, the risk can be worth the reward. :D Salmon tend to stack up in this area for some strange reason. It's almost as though the marina acts as one giant minnow trap for salmon.
D: Fish here at your own risk. You're technically not supposed to go around the fence at the end of the boardwalk.

#9 desi

desi

Sunfish

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

Can anyone confirm whether Port Credit have Salmon now?

How about Wilmont Creek?

#10 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

Anglers are getting the odd ones at different river mouths throughout.
It will only get better with time.
Wait for some rain and strong north winds. Things should really start to heat up.

#11 rcflores

rcflores

Sunfish

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:42 AM

I check some rivers mouth this entire week and their is no sign of the salmon I guest is because it havent rain in a while and the weather is been really hot hopefully we have a strong rain and a cooler weather soon I cant wait for the Salmon to come!

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

The Credit is probably the best river in Ontario to fish out of a canoe (or kayak). Evenings or mornings early in the run you can have that whole stretch of rock breakwall by the Ridgetown to yourself. But once September rolls around it gets even better, because of the limited shore access you have the whole estuary full of fish above Lakeshore Rd.

Having double digit days is a definite possibility. Same with Bronte.

#13 rcflores

rcflores

Sunfish

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

I tried the credit river last year but I didnt catch anything the river is so big but I want to try again this year, however I find fishing for Salmon in Scarborough much better than in the credit

#14 desi

desi

Sunfish

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

I check some rivers mouth this entire week and their is no sign of the salmon I guest is because it havent rain in a while and the weather is been really hot hopefully we have a strong rain and a cooler weather soon I cant wait for the Salmon to come!

Same here.... checked out a couple of place... no sign of salmon yet.... :)

#15 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

The Credit is probably the best river in Ontario to fish out of a canoe (or kayak). Evenings or mornings early in the run you can have that whole stretch of rock breakwall by the Ridgetown to yourself. But once September rolls around it gets even better, because of the limited shore access you have the whole estuary full of fish above Lakeshore Rd.

Having double digit days is a definite possibility. Same with Bronte.

Right On!

#16 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

it's raining - so they should be coming in more and more now

#17 brycle

brycle

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

I dont think so I was fly fishing in bronte creek a salmon run hot spot and didnt get anything just saw some brook trout.... rainbows are also common their in the fall and spring and I didnt see any of them either wait until mid September and October thats when the steelhead roam the harbours and rivers.

#18 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

With the rain we had over the weekend, LOTS of salmon pushed upstream.
They come in waves, so it should be steady action at the mouths for the next while.

Who wants to go chuck spoons with me? haha

#19 rcflores

rcflores

Sunfish

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

Theirs already Salmon in port hope I caught a 22 pound coho the other day and alot of people are hooking chinoook and coho il post the pict when I upload it :)

#20 halleb

halleb

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

With the rain we had over the weekend, LOTS of salmon pushed upstream.
They come in waves, so it should be steady action at the mouths for the next while.

Who wants to go chuck spoons with me? haha

I would like to.

When, where ? I suggest Port Credit, what do you think ?