Photo

Holland River (Bradford or Holland Landing)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 shimano25

shimano25

Sunfish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

I was wondering if anyone fished in the Holland Rivers (west in Bradford and east in Holland Landing). How is the fishing success there? Any types of fish that are commonly taken out of the Holland? Thanks.

#2 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

I was there on Sunday. Fishing was pretty slow, some guy beside us caught a small catfish and that was about it. Closer to the marina by the bridge there was a ton of white bucket anglers, so don't expect to catch anything big there.

#3 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:40 PM

psst wanna know a secret spot....check out http://www.catholicland.com/ it's a marina on the holland river called Stella Maris and not only have I lost my biggest pike there, but my biggest bass too. Their sizes were mindbogling! The person that owns the place is a funny guy, but he charges a 10 dollar entry fee. I can't wait to get my Trident 15 on there, but hopefully he won't charge me for that too! :D

#4 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

psst wanna know a secret spot....check out http://www.catholicland.com/ it's a marina on the holland river called Stella Maris and not only have I lost my biggest pike there, but my biggest bass too. Their sizes were mindbogling! The person that owns the place is a funny guy, but he charges a 10 dollar entry fee. I can't wait to get my Trident 15 on there, but hopefully he won't charge me for that too! :D

Very interesting.

#5 shimano25

shimano25

Sunfish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Check the website out. Unfortunately, you have to be out of that place before sundown.

#6 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

Also, the weed growth is horrible by bradford, spin fishing is not recommended.

#7 moosehead

moosehead

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:00 AM

been there recently, only couple panfishes. its not what it used to be

#8 Afraz

Afraz

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:43 AM

Isn't the Holland mad polluted ?

I know there are Channel cats and lots of crappie in there, but not if you;re looking for a Shore lunch... Chronzy is gonna get P.O'éd if he ever fished the Holland..

#9 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

Isn't the Holland mad polluted ?

I know there are Channel cats and lots of crappie in there, but not if you;re looking for a Shore lunch... Chronzy is gonna get P.O'éd if he ever fished the Holland..

From what I understand, you're right on the money that the Holland is polluted from runoff. But I wonder if that would affect crappie, that is, do the crappie reside in the Holland year-round or just spawn there? If the latter, then they should still be OK for eating methinks?

#10 Afraz

Afraz

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:12 AM

From what I understand, you're right on the money that the Holland is polluted from runoff. But I wonder if that would affect crappie, that is, do the crappie reside in the Holland year-round or just spawn there? If the latter, then they should still be OK for eating methinks?

I dunno to be honest, but by all means they aren't migratory fish. I imagine they come in to spawn and stick around at least until it freezes over - and then maybe they move back into Simcoe (MAYBE)

But regardless of that, if one is aware of pollution. Why risk it ?

Is your life worth a few Slabs on the BBQ ?

Well i guess it won;t matter when i am 60, pollution or nun i gotta get me more shore lunches.. ha ha..

#11 etobiCARP

etobiCARP

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

If anyone wants an update, I went here a week or two ago near the Holland landing. I fished some of the canals, and there was absolutely nothing. Perhaps I should have waited until now, or a week or two from now. Anyway, not even a catfish was caught.

#12 worldslaziestninja

worldslaziestninja

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

from what I know the holland is best for crappie in the spring and fall. I fished the mentioned marina as well with mixed results. I caught a nice pike and some crappy there but other times its been dead... Looking around the area it has a long of biodiversity. Even seen a beaver in the area so must be something around. I would say its best in spring for pan fish and early season just after open for bass. Im just guessing but I would imagin the water gets pretty warm later in the season.

#13 snaapz

snaapz

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

It's nice but I swear some fisherman show up with their whole family and leave with buckets full of fish... makes it difficult to maintain a fun level of fish.

I was North of the bridge today, 26 degrees May 20th. Carp were ALL over the shore (in the weeds) and well over 14". No takers... just Bluegill. South of the bridge I saw a fellow pull out a nice sized Large-mouth (while looking for Pike) on a crank bait, evening/dusk.

Last week my girlfriend and I pulled up to the bridge area and everyone we passed (on shore) was landing a fish.

#14 snaapz

snaapz

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

Follow up.

I went out again on the 21st of May and in one spot I managed to land Crappie, Bluegill, Pike, Large-mouth, Small-mouth, Bullhead Catfish and there were Carp all around me which I didn't attempt ... big ones.

North of Bridge St.

- 4" Spoon - Gold (shiny) (Pike)
- 2" Spoon - Orange w/ red spots (Bass)
- Soft bait (Gulp Alive - Silver minnows) (Crappie, Bluegill, Bass)

A few pix...

P.S. I know Bass is out of season, I was spooning for Pike. The Bass was out of water for less than 5 seconds & camera is a quick shot... being from the North I get excited when I see a horizontal stripe.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 JCue

JCue

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Follow up.

I went out again on the 21st of May and in one spot I managed to land Crappie, Bluegill, Pike, Large-mouth, Small-mouth, Bullhead Catfish and there were Carp all around me which I didn't attempt ... big ones.

North of Bridge St.

- 4" Spoon - Gold (shiny) (Pike)
- 2" Spoon - Orange w/ red spots (Bass)
- Soft bait (Gulp Alive - Silver minnows) (Crappie, Bluegill, Bass)

A few pix...

P.S. I know Bass is out of season, I was spooning for Pike. The Bass was out of water for less than 5 seconds & camera is a quick shot... being from the North I get excited when I see a horizontal stripe.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Awesome now I got to get out there this weekend for some crappie and pike! Possible to pm me a good fishing spot?

Cheers

#16 Carellz

Carellz

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hey guys,

My name is nick and I fish the holland river/marsh about 3 - 5 times a week :) lol cant get enough but the fish there are big i will post pictures below of the pike and bass i have caught.

Pike.jpg
Pike 2.jpg
Bass 2.jpg
Bass 3.jpg

I have caught these at the T point right on canal road and the 400 highway, i drive a white scion and if you see me dont be a stranger and say hey lol

#17 Carellz

Carellz

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

also for my post that i have made and the pictures i put up.......it was within the same day and it fell on october 11 2012

#18 FishingNoob

FishingNoob

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Welcome to the site Carellz. Those are some huge pike.

#19 Odoyle

Odoyle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

Nice fish dude !!!

#20 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Nice catches.

Thanks for the report, welcome to the forum.