• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

#361 Kleiner

Kleiner

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

I did some "spoon chucking" this morning with no luck but they were jumping everywhere! I saw 3 ppl hook up. I am fairly new to salmon fishing, man, what a fight they had. It looked really fun. I am going to try again and I can't wait until I catch my first salmon!

#362 Jan

Jan

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

THX really well written and very helpful

#363 Jsteelcity

Jsteelcity

Sunfish

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

very helpful article .... I live close and have yet to catch a salmon if do I will post a photo... thanks

#364 vinz79

vinz79

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hi guys. I just wanted to know if its possible to fly fish in port credit for salmon or steelhead. I'll be around this weekend with my flyfishing rod and wanted to know if its worth to give it a try. Thanks

#365 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:43 AM

Hi guys. I just wanted to know if its possible to fly fish in port credit for salmon or steelhead. I'll be around this weekend with my flyfishing rod and wanted to know if its worth to give it a try. Thanks

hope you can cast far lol

#366 vinz79

vinz79

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

hope you can cast far lol

haha thanks grayer

is port hope a better solution?

#367 flandogg

flandogg

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the very informative and helpful article openfire !

#368 DEVIN

DEVIN

Sunfish

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

any luck peeps?

#369 TheSkyIsBlue

TheSkyIsBlue

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

Hi everyone, I know this sounds really stupid, but I really don't want to buy a net right now. I have all the necessities I need and this is my first year fishing salmon on my own (without the help of my uncle and his heavy duty gear). I have spent a significant amount of money for a 14 year old, and just cannot buy a net too right now. Can someone advise me what to do if I don't have a net and need to land a fish at the piers/rocks? I've heard of people climbing down the rocks and grabbing the tail of the fish, but I don't think my dad will let me go that close to the water in the dark. So yeah, just really need to know is there a way to still land my fish without a net, or do I NEED to buy a net? Thanks in advance :)

#370 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:13 PM

Don't go down to the rocks at night, its pretty dangerous, especially when the rocks are slippery and when the waves are pounding the shore. Most anglers on the pier will be nice enough to let you borrow their net, but really, you will want to invest in a good quality landing net if you want to pier fish often. Lucky Strike makes a bright yellow landing net that is quite popular with pier anglers. I think SAIL carries it. I'm not sure how much it costs, but any good name brand net (Frabill, Lucky Strike, etc.) will serve you well and last for years.

#371 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

the right side of the rocks on the western side of the river when looking out at the lake has a little bay in it. the water is much calmer and easier to walk down(lots of flat top rocks with no slippery crap on them)

when i forgot to bring a net i would fight fish over to that side to grab them.

but be very careful. its never 100% safe, especially at night.

do yourself a favour and get a 30$ rubber mesh net at crappy tire. wont let you down ive had mine for years

#372 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:09 PM

Can you guys recommend a good reel with good drag for spoon chucking?

The real I was gonna use is a bit short...Daiwa 2500...plus the drag has been taking a lot of abuse these past couple of years.  I don't wanna risk it over a pier salmon.

Any recommendatios would be great.

Thanks

#373 Shmogley

Shmogley

Luck is one of my skills!

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:40 AM

if you dont want to spend a lot, i use 2 reels for this with good results. a shimano tx 4000 and okuma granite 50 that i also use for surf/saltwater. they are both quite old and beat up looking but still wokr great. both were cheap (<100$) and have never had an issue even on the bigger 25+ fish.

i have my doubts about the shimano if a 40+ fish ever hits but ive had 150lb fish on the granite with no worries.

#374 creek chub in your pocket

creek chub in your pocket

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

Can you guys recommend a good reel with good drag for spoon chucking?

The real I was gonna use is a bit short...Daiwa 2500...plus the drag has been taking a lot of abuse these past couple of years.  I don't wanna risk it over a pier salmon.

Any recommendatios would be great.

Thanks

If you can find one of the Shimano FJ's on sale for 169.99 (on sale from 219) get a 3000 series and that baby could handle anything in the Great Lakes.

#375 MonsterFisherRAWL

MonsterFisherRAWL

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

If you can find one of the Shimano FJ's on sale for 169.99 (on sale from 219) get a 3000 series and that baby could handle anything in the Great Lakes.

Good call on Shimano Stradic. I'd even consider 4000 series to get a bit more drag and longer line on the reel.

Also for more cost efficient option, I'd consider Pflueger Arbor (size 40) as well. For less than half the price of Stradic, you have the 20Lb drag spinning reel with slightly less line capacity. 

#376 creek chub in your pocket

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

Good call on Shimano Stradic. I'd even consider 4000 series to get a bit more drag and longer line on the reel.

Also for more cost efficient option, I'd consider Pflueger Arbor (size 40) as well. For less than half the price of Stradic, you have the 20Lb drag spinning reel with slightly less line capacity. 

A good call no doubt.

I may be a sucker, but I always tend to spend a bit extra so in my mind I feel more confident in the reel/rod/line combination.  Personally, I didnt like the Arbor only because the spool case was thinner than most other reels i've used.

#377 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

http://www.amazon.ca..._=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

i use this on whitby harbor for browns...got it for half the price...25line test. But I drop down my line to 15lbs. mono more on spool and still handle the 25+ lb salmons. the reason I dropped the line down so I can chuck spoons further.

#378 creek chub in your pocket

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

i use this on whitby harbor for browns...got it for half the price...25line test. But I drop down my line to 15lbs. mono more on spool and still handle the 25+ lb salmons. the reason I dropped the line down so I can chuck spoons further.

I have Symetre 2500 with 30 lb yellow power pro with line to line knot 10 lb floro and ive hauled in a few 20-25 pounders already this year; no issues.

My FJ has 40 lb red power pro with line to line knot 12 lb floro and ive had a couple MONSTER 30-35+ carp and salmon on it; 0 complaints with either.

I love Shimano reels.

#379 creek chub in your pocket

Sunfish

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

how do you like that Rap reel?

#380 TheSkyIsBlue

TheSkyIsBlue

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:27 PM

In the article, it says that he's caught salmon from mid july to mid september. So would it be a good idea to head out at 3:00 tomorrow morning?