• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

Today I was able to land a female chinook and lost a few others. There's lots of fish at wilmot right now. They're pretty much in every pool. The fish I caught took a roe bag. Water was clear and full of fish.

I had to keep the fish because it didn't look like it could survive after the long fight.

These fish are extremely hard to land.

Oh ya, I saved a coho from getting stuck because it reached a dead end while running and it would have just died.

I caught lots of baby rainbows and one brown or atlantic?

Peace

#2 MuskeyBait

MuskeyBait

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

would you be able to give me directions or an address on how to get there? I'm new to fishing and havent had any luck yet

#3 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

http://www.maps.google.com just type in wilmot creek ontario.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

rapala boy i envy you with you and the others.

i have not been able to land a salmon or even hit my roe bag.

also if they do i think its a snag and then see it take off with thrity feet of my line before the hook pops out.

anyways this is my second year starting to understand currents and water patterns to spot salmon/trout.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

snag as it stuck on the bottom or rocks

#6 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

Thanks. I just hope it goes well with fish crisp.

Should I preserve the eggs or is it too much of a hassle?

#7 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

A personal best for me!
Posted Image

#8 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

My rod broke by the way. I'll have to return it.

#9 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:34 PM

NICE!!! How much did that lunker weigh?

#10 rcflores

rcflores

Sunfish

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:11 AM

hey nice catch rapalaboy where in wilmot did you fish in the mouth or some other place

#11 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

The river above the CNR, but the whole river is stacked.

I don't have a scale that can measure it :)

#12 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

I'm looking on Google Maps-where do you park your car? Along Cobbledick Rd or Toronto St? Is it better fishing early in the morning or is it a place you can fish after a day's work in the office?

Thx in advance.

#13 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

There's a parking lot at the end of cobbledick rd. and another one on highway 2 where it crosses wilmot creek. Just put the maps in satellite mode and you will see it.

It's good the whole day, but they get scared easily.

#14 MuskeyBait

MuskeyBait

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

It seems Wilmot creek is an hour and 20 minute drive from my house, do you think its worth the drive Rapala Boy?
I've been to bronte twice so far, saw quite a few big salmon jumping but haven't got a hit yet and didn't see too many people reeling them in either. Is it too early in the season or am I in a bad spot? I'm using a Little Cleo 3/4oz lure

#15 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

yeah it's worth the drive, but I would go with small lures cause it's a tiny creek.

Definably more opportunities there than bronte creek.

#16 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:02 PM

I'm marveling at the fine catch and noticed that the fish is laying on top of a concrete slab for backyards. They're about 0.75m to 1m wide? That would put your fish to, at least 2.25ft — over 25 inches...?

What a great catch man! Will try to get off work early this week.

How long is the season good until?

#17 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

I'm marveling at the fine catch and noticed that the fish is laying on top of a concrete slab for backyards. They're about 0.75m to 1m wide? That would put your fish to, at least 2.25ft — over 25 inches...?

What a great catch man! Will try to get off work early this week.

How long is the season good until?

Thanks!

Till september 30th you can fish anywhere in the creek. Isn't it great. Above the first CNR there's no one there so you can have pools of fish all to yourself! You can see them running to the next pool and it's hard to miss them cause they make such a loud noise when running.

#18 superduperfly

superduperfly

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

Hey RB,

How was the crowd there? I've kind of stayed away from there for now due to the yahoos.

I spent the day at the credit. Credit was off the charts though. 12 hrs non stop of fishing. Sore arms, shoulders, legs back.....Couldn't even get up to go on Sunday. Coho's were caught all day also. Very nice fish.

I don't know if it's just me but it seems like the credit has less snaggers then other places? I just kind of noticed that on Saturday.

Don't get me wrong, it was still tangle central.

SDF

#19 Rapala Boy

Rapala Boy

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hey RB,

How was the crowd there? I've kind of stayed away from there for now due to the yahoos.

I spent the day at the credit. Credit was off the charts though. 12 hrs non stop of fishing. Sore arms, shoulders, legs back.....Couldn't even get up to go on Sunday. Coho's were caught all day also. Very nice fish.

I don't know if it's just me but it seems like the credit has less snaggers then other places? I just kind of noticed that on Saturday.

Don't get me wrong, it was still tangle central.

SDF

lol My arms also sore. Strong Fish.

#20 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

Hey peeps,

I just wanted to contribute to this thread. I went out yesterday with a friend and man, there were fish EVERYWHERE! Being conservative, probably 300 fish must've swam by me during the time I was there (12'ish to 6:30). All I had was my baitcasting rod (heavy action) & reel (with 12lb test braid).

I stopped off at the bait shop to pick up some swivels, bobbers, different size splitshots, roe, and Gamakatsu 2/0 hooks. My friend had 15lb fluorocarbon line, which was for my leader.

We had a lot of hookups, but landed 4 salmon & 1 trout. There were probably 10 other people there and every five minutes (no exaggeration), someone was yelling FISH ON!

It was my first time ever for salmon fishing and I don't know why it took yesterday to be my first. Man, they fight like beasts like no other fish I've ever handled! Incredible rush of adrenalin, and yes, my forearms are sore.

Again, I think we were really fortunate because it rained hard the night before.

We had some that got away and I suspect that they were a lot bigger, but we were quite limited with our bass fishing equipment. hah

BTW, some anglers were commenting that the fish were "fresh"...what are they referring to?

Attached Images

• 25lbs.jpg
  • 21lbs.jpg