Photo

Hardy Fly Fishing Rod & Reel? Is it worth the Money?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wymen

wymen

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

Hey There,

I'm looking to get into fly fishing and have been looking at a Hardy Demon Rod & Reel. Is it worth the money? Or should I start of with some entry level package?

Wymen

#2 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

I saw this posted on OFN several months back. Might want to check it out.

#3 wymen

wymen

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:19 AM

I saw this posted on OFN several months back. Might want to check it out.

That's exactly what I mean. The Hardy Outfit I was looking at would run me slightly north of $1000 when I'm done with line and taxes...

#4 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

I started with an inexpensive, entry level. Fly rods and reels have become very specialized, and spending a huge amount on a set up to later find out it's not really what you need to target the fish you're after can leave you with an expensive wall ornament in your garage. I bought a 9wt at first. (I now have a 6wt.) My thinking was if I didn't care for trout fishing, I could always go after pike with it. I still have the 9 wt., and when kids want to learn it's a good loaner - and if they wreck it, so what!
Here's a link to a good source for fly rods and reels. I found them when I was looking for an inexpensive salt water setup to take with me to the Caribbean. They have a few that break down to suitcase size. One thing, make sure they mail it instead of shipping by courier, and ask them to flag it as samples - the duty was brutal!
http://www.albrightflyfish.com/

#5 RedSkullz

RedSkullz

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Joel is always full of great advise!
I'd rather have 4-5 solid different setups for $1000 than one rod($200 will get you a pretty good rod/reel/line combo)....dont overlook species other than trout whe going with the flies! Flyfishing for pike, largemouth with deer hair frog or mouse patterns is some of the most intense topwater fishing you'll ever have. I have a buddy that gets walleye on the fly, and he loves fishing with a fly i tyed up for him called the Suprise!...the fly was named Suprise! after he caught a 4 pound walleye in a mostly brook trout lake in algonquin park. Prior to the renaming of the fly it was a wooly bugger tied with white and brown deer hair, and some red and silver tinsel coming out of the tail. He has caught numerous walleye on that fly since then.(and almost every other species in the lake he fishes except for laker trout.

ouch

#6 Guest_blair_*

Guest_blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

#7 CamtheCanuck

CamtheCanuck

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

If you can make it to Toronto, check out Wilson's fly shop. They sell St. Croix outfits that are in the range of $300. So for $1000 you could two: an 8 or 9 weight and a 5 weight set up. The 8\9 would cover salmon, steelhead, pike, bass, carp and most other warm water species. The 5 would be a great starter for trout, smallmouth and panfish. Basically for less than a grand you can pick up two complete outfits that cover %90 of Ontario's fly fishing opportunities.

Wilson's also has other more expensive options such as Hardy and Scott.

Bass Pro and Le Baron both sell a complete set from Courtland that is very inexpensive. the 6 weight is what I learned to fly fish with and it served me very well until I broke it (stepped on the rod, really stupid).

At the end of the day, get something that is nicely balanced with a grip you find comfortable. Your casting technique, fly choice, weather etc... are all way more important than how much you spend on a rod... but if I had a grand i'd buy the Hardy in a heart beat.

#8 just_add_water

just_add_water

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

Where are you based? I have the Hardy Demon 7# 9'6 rod and reel. IT'S AN ABSOLUTE DREAM TO FISH WITH. You can come and try my mine first, if you're serious about buying one. A very versatile set up and handles fish of all sizes. It's soft enough for small Irish sea-trout and tough enough for the Canadian salmon runs. I fished the Campbell River in July during a massive pink run. Over 30 fish in 4 hours... The rod really came into its own. That session was the real test for me.

So yes, if you can afford it, then do it. If not, you can buy perfectly adequate gear for under $300.

Let me know how you get on.

Tight lines.

James.

20100701-002318-2.jpg