• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

I finally took the plunge and got me a centerpin reel, only because of the price.

My buddy and I just ordered from ebay the Ukraine made centerpin reel for CA$35 landed cost. I emailed some previous buyers for feedback and they all seemed happy with it. I was told they do spin forever. I will be receiving it in 2 weeks time. These are new 5" reels with 2 bearings.

For few years, I normally catch steelhead using my spinning reel and lures at niagara river and Port Delhousie, and also use roes with float using my spinning reel.

Anyone ever ordered this Ukraine made centerpin reel ? The reel is widely sold in the US including some US walmart stores.

With the price that low, I am not sure how it was made or how easy to assemble one. If that is the case, how come most centerpin reel are sold at $150-$700? Is it because they are mostly made in the US? I have not heard of any made from China.

#2 fishinguypat

fishinguypat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

well at least if it doesn't work well you can't really complain :)

#3 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

u have a picture of it? for 35 bucks sounds kinda fishy lol.

#4 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:30 PM

Do you have a link or atleast the name of the pin? Even if it is pos quality it seems like its a good way to get a taste.

#5 Kestrel

Kestrel

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:41 PM

I finally took the plunge and got me a centerpin reel, only because of the price.

My buddy and I just ordered from ebay the Ukraine made centerpin reel for CA$35 landed cost. I emailed some previous buyers for feedback and they all seemed happy with it. I was told they do spin forever. I will be receiving it in 2 weeks time. These are new 5" reels with 2 bearings.

For few years, I normally catch steelhead using my spinning reel and lures at niagara river and Port Delhousie, and also use roes with float using my spinning reel.

Anyone ever ordered this Ukraine made centerpin reel ? The reel is widely sold in the US including some US walmart stores.

With the price that low, I am not sure how it was made or how easy to assemble one. If that is the case, how come most centerpin reel are sold at $150-$700? Is it because they are mostly made in the US? I have not heard of any made from China.

I am almost certain it’s an Osprey centrepin reel. They’re often found on ebay from Russia, Ukraine, Poland, etc from $20-$40.

I bought one for around $15 more than 10yrs ago when a friend was selling it. I was pretty much going to use it to decorate my office with. I used it once for suckers and TBH, that was more than enough for me. The tolerances with the reel I had were so poor that my 8lb Maxima mainline found its way into the backplate. It also wobbled a fair bit when it was spun. I did end up catching some fish with it though. If I remember correctly, these reels are stamped VS machined.

Why are better centrepins over $200?
a. They are usually made out of aircraft type aluminum VS any other cheap grade of metal.
b. They are machined to fairly tight tolerances. They don’t wobble when you spin them and your line doesn’t get behind the spool into the backplate. Generally the better ones are machined by hand - AngSpecs, Riverkeepers, Paine falls are reels you can get today that are machined by hand.
c. Centrepins aren’t produced in the same quantities as spinning reels. Economies of scale play less of a role in lowering price – Perhaps Okuma might be slightly different with their Aventa reels.
d. A good centrepin will last you for life. My friend has a Hardy Silex which his grandfather and father owned (and used hard) before he inherited it.

#6 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

You get what you pay for.
Saw one guy in bowmanwille last year and he had this Ukrainian reel, however it wasn't working in slow flow and he was peeling the line by hand, same as you would when using spinning reel.
I guess it could work in credit in fast streches.
To give you an idea good bearings run 20 bucks a each.
If you get the reel for that price and whoever sells them still profit, do the math bow much it's really worth.
should of put your money towards something better imo

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:46 PM

one reel to rule them all....

#8 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

is kingpin :)

#9 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

Do you have a link or atleast the name of the pin? Even if it is pos quality it seems like its a good way to get a taste.

http://cgi.ebay.com/... ... 563d7134fd

I got feedback from 3 buyers of this product that it does it jobs, and they all like the way it spins, they say aluminum is not as smooth in its finished as the more expensive model, but it does its job.

With the price of CA$35, I took a chance. The reward is high, at least more chance of winning based on the sellers feedback rather than buying a lottery ticket.

#10 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

i read about this reel, its used for casting heavy lures, thats why you have pike on the reel box.
it works on the same principal as baitcaster, you adjust the center screw to get some drag and thumb it when you cast.

have you though about getting zen master reel? same price on ebay.

#11 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

Here is a video I just made after receiving this couple days ago.

http://s223.photobuc...nt=MVI_0004.mp4

http://i223.photobuc.../IMG_0001-2.jpg

Have to grind this section to make it fit on my rod. The original one was a touch bigger for most North American reel.
http://i223.photobuc.../IMG_0002-1.jpg

I went to BPS yesterday and tested the Raven Matrix ($199), the bearings is of course even way smoother, but for entry level reel ,the ukraine reel is price just right for me to get into centerpining.

I have to figure out what backing I need, it does not need more than 200 yards of line.

#12 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

just saw your video, though it was gonna be better but i think you wasted your money man, i doubt the reel will start up properly on water
if you think raven bearings are smooth wait until you can try out islander or kingpin
anyway good luck with your new reel

#13 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

Angling Specialties

#14 Guest_Pedro_*

Guest_Pedro_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

Aventa :-) ......or not

But for real, the aventa is sold for 199 and It doesn't start fast enough then spins out of control.

#15 troutyeah

troutyeah

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

do you know if this pin as bearings or bushings ? AND  do you know if they are replaceable ?

#16 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

I would suggest a Rapala Classc Drifter. Retails for $160....you can maybe find a "used" one for $100

#17 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:07 AM

i use one and to be honest it gets the job done if you can't afford anything better at the time

#18 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

This was my posting two years ago, everything improve as time move forward. Lots of Centerpin reel on line for around $50-$60, anodized aluminum polish frame with good bearing. Very smooth start up even with this Ukraine reel. which I still used today.

No complicated parts on a Centerpin reel, just used to be made in North America, sold for the elitist, Just like Canada Goose jacket today, was not expensive few years ago, until someone decide to promote it to the Elitist. Baitcaste was used to be just promoted by the pros. then when spinning reel gotten good quality, the pros promoted them as well.  

When the fishing industry can sell a baitcaster or spinning reel(with complicated parts and assembly involved), for $35. China, as most things made today , can for sure sell a centerpin for under $50. 

Rapala centerpin reel is sold around $150, retailers makes at least 50% minimum markup, so chinese manufacturer selling direct to consumer, should not have issue selling for $60 and still make double the profit. Price will continue to drop if more volume, more demand, and more manufacturer compete to make them. 

I bought an anodize aluminum fly reel with bearings and adjustable drag, very similar to a centerpin reel, for $35. comparable to fly reel in $100+ range. Fly real does not normally even need smooth bearings nor drag, but the features were included for a great price. 

I have not check on line in two years, I have a feeling inexpensive centerpin reel with adjustable optional drag will be out there for now at great pricing. It will eventually take over manual one, just like automatic transmission over-taken manual stick shift vehicle. Why make life complicated when we can just turn a switch and the drag kicks in. I would definitely grab a centerpin reel with drag feature, if the price is right. I still do not understand either why the industry promote that we switch our rod to the other hand when baitcasting reel is use?  I am from semi-old school, cannot be influence easily by the norm when things do not make much sense.     

#19 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

i saw a really nice one for 60 start up was compareable to a raw 2 and it was quite well built imo

#20 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

i saw a really nice one for 60 start up was compareable to a raw 2 and it was quite well built imo

you habe a raw 2?