83 replies to this topic

#21 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

you habe a raw 2?

had ya, i think i got a defect cuz after a while it wouldn't even startup and this was while it was still warm, but i compared it to a friend of mines raw 2 

#22 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

had ya, i think i got a defect cuz after a while it wouldn't even startup and this was while it was still warm, but i compared it to a friend of mines raw 2

nice they are good reels it seems for the price.

#23 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Aventa http://www.ontariofi.../icon_smile.gif ......or not

But for real, the aventa is sold for 199 and It doesn't start fast enough then spins out of control.

You should be able to start your drift prior to the actual pull from the current with a slight sweep with your drag fingers. As well as slowing it down if it gets "out of control" although I've never had that problem, i do however slow down my drifts voluntarily sometimes with slight pressure with my drag finger.

#24 NaturehasIT

NaturehasIT

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

I am looking for  a good  cheap centerpin reel around 50 Bucks. Anyone have a really good one with a good drag that they not using can pm me.

#25 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

The cheapest drag one is okuma drii for 320. after that you will step into 750+ dollar category. People sell aventa for 75 bucks sometimes.

#26 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

See link below. Just found this centerpin reel identical to Rapala model............Need to buy minimum of two. Comes out to around $57.50 each. Ask them more question, since it could be a fly reel from another angle of the picture. A Fly reel has an additional steel bar as part of the main frame,  Fly Line that we manually pull out , comes out as the spool rotates, the bracket blocks the line from coming out side ways. Unlike centerpin, the  inside spool need to rotate and line can come out freely at all direction, especially during side cast. Both reel are made almost identical bearings today, except for the added bar on the frame and fly reel has a drag at the back. If I disengage the drag and only apply  wallis cast technique to release my line, I could actually use my fly reel, since the bearings were very smooth, and no problem float fishing with it..  

http://www.aliexpres.../485334699.html   a $95 reel

http://www.aliexpres.../767523861.html

Here is the picture of rapala centrpin reel http://www.bcfishing...-Centrepin-Reel

The most important in fishing success today is knowing where to find the fish, equipment only plays a smal part in this hobby. Many initially use spinning reel to float fish, once they understand float/split shot distribution, aside from locating the fish, float fishing will be fun, then a centerpin reel has its added benefit, and justifies the money invested. But if one cannot find the fish, a centerpin reel will make the fishing experience even worse. Trying to master Wallis cast takes lot of patience to cast for distance, then avoiding bird nest, resulting in skunk hours. Before I bought my centerpin reel for long term benefit, I have decided to learn and practice the modified Wallis cast regardless if I catch a fish with it,  to get the line twist issue out of the way from the start. Fly fisherman spend enough hours mastering the different variation of casting, they know that by mastering different casting technique, to adapt to different conditions. they will be able to put the lure right at a spot where they suspect holds a fish.........to eventually catch one.

If your goal is to just catch fish, and you have not experimented on  fishing with floats .............You better think again if you really need a Centerpin , or a Fly or a baitcasting reel. Some floating line will cost you more than $20 alone, and proper float of different size are not cheap either. 

#27 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:14 AM

I am looking for  a good  cheap centerpin reel around 50 Bucks. Anyone have a really good one with a good drag that they not using can pm me.

really? you want a "really good one" for 50 bucks with a drag lol

#28 ChasinTails

ChasinTails

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

sorry to break it to ya but for 50 you won't even get a really good one not to mention drag 

#29 BowSlayer

BowSlayer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

is that a joke or something??? a GOOD pin with DRAG for 50 dollars!? man go step into reality lol, all you can get for 50 is some cheap pin that has a manual start up and definitely no drag, man I'm pi$$ing myself reading your post, lol.

#30 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

is that a joke or something??? a GOOD pin with DRAG for 50 dollars!? man go step into reality lol, all you can get for 50 is some cheap pin that has a manual start up and definitely no drag, man I'm pi$$ing myself reading your post, lol.

Easy bro, it's easy to make someone look stupid online, especially someone who has a lack of knowledge, but it's even easier to make yourself look like a d!ck for calling them out after it's already been done numerous times and then giving everyone the funny mental image of a guy "lol'ing" at a computer screen.

#31 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

centre pins aren't meant to have a drag?  put a drag on it you lose the free spinning action, might as well buy a fly reel its basically a centre pin with a drag

#32 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

The Sheffield DRii has drag and spins freely, but it costs more than a regular Sheffield (around 350).

#33 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

I don't know about you guys, but a drag would take the fun out of fighting fish on a centerpin for me.

#34 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

tbh a drag isn't that bad when the chinooks are in

#35 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

Ive never held or seen a pin wiyth a drag, im assuming it works like a clicker being able to turn it off or on? Thus giving the option to fight a fish with or without the drag on? If so I could see a drag being beneficial at the end of the day when the arms getting sore. If not than it wouldn't be much of a pin..Easy bowslayer im sure you weren't born knowing these things either and had to learn just like everyone else.

#36 iJay

iJay

Hero Drift

• Active Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

After owning an Aventa reel, I can say they are super difficult to use. The spool itself does no have "guides" for the line, Often times when fighting a fish or reeling in quickly the line would wrapp around the handles or even the stalk of the rod. 

After using a Matrix reel, there is an obvious difference. 

I know how to use my "drag fingers" but with the coating on the okuma and a bit of water on ur fingers it was almost impossible to stop the reel.

Good on you for trying out the $35 reel. I have tried the cheapest and found things I like about it. Also able to start with something cheap and small to get your feet wet by the time you get to the big leagues your hitting home runs every time!

#37 buck

buck

Perch

• Active Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

Ive never held or seen a pin wiyth a drag, im assuming it works like a clicker being able to turn it off or on? Thus giving the option to fight a fish with or without the drag on? If so I could see a drag being beneficial at the end of the day when the arms getting sore. If not than it wouldn't be much of a pin..Easy bowslayer im sure you weren't born knowing these things either and had to learn just like everyone else.

exactly, you can turn it of or on like a clicker the only difference is it makes the clicking sound when you reel and not when the line is being pulled, I should mention that it comes in pretty handy when steelheading in the winter months and your reel is colder than ice lol

#38 LordMykiss

LordMykiss

Perch

• Active Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

I don't know about you guys, but a drag would take the fun out of fighting fish on a centerpin for me.

i used to say that. but now i would love to have a drag reel. one i want is 800 dollars. feel free to get it for me!!

#39 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

Blackbird also has a float reel with drag for around $380...

#40 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

All my A/S float reels had the drag option. Comes in very handy when the fingers are frozen or trying to land a fish all by yourself.

As mentioned I had the option of turning on or off the drag which was great.