• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:24 PM

There is still much work to be done around here, so things might be a little un-organized until all the work is complete:

• The new reports sections are being worked on, and will be made available when complete
  • 1000's of threads still need to be moved to their new respective forums
  • Additional features are being worked - more on this later
  • Additional categories are being added

If you are experiencing any technical problems during this transitional period, please let me know.

Feel free to make any suggestions you may have.

Cheers.

#2 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:31 PM

There is still much work to be done around here, so things might be a little un-organized until all the work is complete:

• The new reports sections are being worked on, and will be made available when complete
  • 1000's of threads still need to be moved to their new respective forums
  • Additional features are being worked - more on this later
  • Additional categories are being added

If you are experiencing any technical problems during this transitional period, please let me know.

Feel free to make any suggestions you may have.

Cheers.

This looks wonderful already. Thank you for the great job. You will get comments as we explore this

#3 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:30 PM

Where can one find the Salmonid Insanity forum, as well as the tier 1 and tier 2 reports sections?

#4 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

Where can one find the Salmonid Insanity forum, as well as the tier 1 and tier 2 reports sections?

They are not yet available. (soon)

#5 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:35 PM

openfire did amazing job.

btw any plans on adding icon or highlighting text for sections when new posts or replies are created?
kind of like ff.net when you come to board it shows which forums have activity.

#6 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:49 PM

Maybe I'm missing it...screenshot of what you mean?

#7 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

it doesnt have to be an icon, different text color would do it too.
in sections the new posts highlights when there is a reply, just thought is would be nice to have something for sections also.

#8 Guest_Pedro_*

Guest_Pedro_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

I like the text color idea, but is it possible?

#9 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

it doesnt have to be an icon, different text color would do it too.
in sections the new posts highlights when there is a reply, just thought is would be nice to have something for sections also.

Ahhh, OK I see what you mean (you can delete that pic now)

The default skin has that feature, (where the forum icons change colour depending on new posts) but I replaced those icons with the custom icons(pics) you see now.

ontariomuskyfishing.png

I can definitely have the forum icons change depending on new posts, but I'm not sure how it would look... I'm going to try something in photoshop...

#10 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

My photoshop is hanging on me right now, have to reboot. Hold on...

#11 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:11 PM

you can edit these pictures like the one above, to color when new post are created and black and white when nothing new happened.

#12 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

Yes you read my mind, that's what I was going to show you in photoshop LOL. No need to reboot now.

Yes, I'll add that to my list for sure.

#13 Guest_t0ca_*

Guest_t0ca_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

why complicated things?

just keep it simple

#14 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:22 PM

why complicated things?

just keep it simple

The idea is it improve the board. The feature we are discussing is a useful and standard forum feature... nothing really complicated about it at all.

#15 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:36 PM

For example something kind of like this:

icontest.jpg

On the left, new posts. On the right, no new posts.

edit to add: you have to click on the pic to see it properly for some strange reason.

#16 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

thats is exactly what i had in mind. awesome

#17 ex0or

ex0or

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:18 AM

bro openfire can i suggest something maybe you should put a Multiple account login detector (AE Detector) so no one can make multi account because each forum im member they have that AE detector ..its my opinion only :wink:

#18 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

bro openfire can i suggest something maybe you should put a Multiple account login detector (AE Detector) so no one can make multi account because each forum im member they have that AE detector ..its my opinion only :wink:

Yes, this functionality exists already, but I haven't yet configured it... I didn't anticipate that we would have any problems so soon, so it was last on the priority list. I will deal with this issue soon.

Thanks for the suggestion.

#19 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

GG on the board, but I think there may be a bit too many boards whose topics may overlap, and for a site that doesn't receive too much traffic may result in too many topics being overlooked.

#20 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

GG on the board, but I think there may be a bit too many boards whose topics may overlap, and for a site that doesn't receive too much traffic may result in too many topics being overlooked.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the number of boards: This issue was a definite consideration, but I felt that properly organizing information was of utmost importance to create a better overall resource moving forward.

As for traffic, we are working on it... we experienced a set-back with the transition to the new board (because of URL re-indexing in the search engines) which is a temporary situation, but I should point out that prior to the new board going live, our traffic was at an all-time high. Basically, our traffic has been doubling every year over the past 3 years, and a tripling of traffic this year. I think with the improvements to the board, we will continue to see robust growth.

As for topics being overlooked with many sections, I have installed a "Recent Posts" module, wherein you can see all the latest post across all of the boards at a quick glance. While not a perfect solution, it does provide a means to see all recent posts without having to click on each individual board.

Keep the feedback coming. I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Cheers.