• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:28 PM

I started my first salmon fishing this year on a 6'6" bait casting setup and thought it was pretty good, until I noticed that the adhesive on the guides starting to crack. I ended up purchasing an Okuma Guide Select 9'6" spin rod (11 guides, graphite backbone) and noticed a great improvement over my 6'6" rod.

Now, I've made my way onto trout fishing and it's been quite difficult. From my understanding, your presentation is EVERYTHING. i did catch my first trout on a running stream of water that flows into a pretty deep pool with a dry fly. Next, i fished in a totally different area that was slow moving current and very clear water. Depth was around 4-7 ft. I switched to a 6lb fluoro with smaller bags of trout roe. After fishing for 5 hours, I only had one bite. There were trout everywhere, but none of them would take it. What I did notice, from that single bite, was I switched to a size 12 hook and hid the hook into the roe bag. But because of that, I couldn't get a proper hook set.

I tried everything that day...pink worms, night crawlers, trout roe bags (peach coloured mesh & white coloured mesh were used in various sizes...dimes to a loonie), trying different depths with the slip float, adding/removing split shots, different sized hooks, different lengths of leaders, flies, nymphs, and a few more. With my polarized lenses, I was able to spot the fish so I would cast 6 ft in front of them and let it drift to them. They all just swam around it.

So, my question is: Would getting a longer rod (like 13' and up) make a difference to how the bait is presented? I do remember reading somewhere how your line should be off of the water to create a proper drift presentation. I would cast about 15ft in front of me, so regardless, my line will end up touching the surface of the water.

#2 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:39 PM

I'm not an expert, but it seems like you have it down FrankTheRabbit!

What size river are you fishing? From your description, it sounds like your 9'6" should be sufficient...but yes, a 13' will be better to keep your line off the water.
How much of a difference it would make? I'm not entirely sure.

You say you're casting only 6 ft in front of the fish... I would try starting your drift from a lot further away. Since you can see the fish, they can more than likely see you and are spooked already. The entry splash from your cast will spook them even more.
Try using 4lb flouro. It's what I've been using lately.

Your best bet is to go back to this pool after some rain when water level rises with good colour to it.
You won't see the fish, but hang on to your rod, cause you'll be fighting some fresh chrome in no time!

#3 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

Thx for the reply FrozenFire. Some pro fella showed up, whom we met the week before, and gave us some pointers. He comes in and within 3-5 casts, he gets a nice looking steelhead, around the 8lbs range. My friend and I were ready to just hang it up there. lol He even confirmed that our setup was good and it should catch fish. He was using a white worm and would twitch it a bit if he didn't get any action. He could see the trout taking swipes at it too. lol

The water I was fishing on had about 30 trout in it, so casting up ahead, I would watch my bait drift through the entire school of fish and not one taker. I've tried casting 10ft into the water to 25ft into the water, covering various distances..

It has been quite challenging, but I am looking forward to this week since there's forecast for some good rain.

#4 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:40 PM

Most likely not your rod, but your presentation.
Try adjusting your shot around. Make sure that your presentation is downstream of your float. It has to be in the zone... the first thing the fish sees.
You'd be surprised at how much of a difference moving some shots will do.
I've had fish hit the drift right after adjustment.

Good luck and post pics of your success :)

#5 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

Met up with Beatles and mades swaps between our Okuma rods. His was a 13'6" Aventa and he was looking for a 9'6". PERFECT! So, now I'm anxiously waiting for the downpour to come to take a day to try it out. :)

I will definitely post up my successes, if I do get any. I do feel that I'm getting closer to catching trout on a regular basis. With the tips you guys are providing, I'm starting to understand of changing tactics when something isn't work or reading the water to determine what bait to use.

#6 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

Any suggestions to pair a 13'6" Okuma Aventa float rod? I'm still going to use my spinning reel until I gather enough information to make a purchase on a centre-pin reel. The Okuma website suggests pairing it with their own Aventa or Sheffield pin reels for 'optimal' balance. I'm sure it's marketing, but wouldn't mind hearing from your suggestions on what would pair well with the rod.

I understand that a good centre-pin reel will cost me at least $200, but I think the most I'd spend would be $350, after taxes.

I've gathered that Raven SST2 is a good valued pin reel. I've been to Angling Specialties and their pin reels are just way out of my league. I've seen one on Kijiji for $550 and that's outta my price range too.

I guess I'm looking for a pin reel that:
- is good to learn from since I'm a beginner
- the performance of the reel will not plateau as my experience gets better, but don't need pro grade performance
- would cost $350 max after taxes

Thanks.

#7 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

go to ff.net and get a used one. there are couple in 200-300 range. i know you might get discouraged and not want to look at used reel since you are spending some cash, but the fact is most of the good reels are well taken care of, some of them have even upgraded bearings and their value and performance is sometimes higher than the new ones. 300 will get you kingpins that are 500 new, the only difference will be that they were used a season or so.

#8 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

go to ff.net and get a used one. there are couple in 200-300 range. i know you might get discouraged and not want to look at used reel since you are spending some cash, but the fact is most of the good reels are well taken care of, some of them have even upgraded bearings and their value and performance is sometimes higher than the new ones. 300 will get you kingpins that are 500 new, the only difference will be that they were used a season or so.

Looked in my Junkmail folder and my account for FF has been activated. :D

I don't mind getting used either, since I'm learning the art-form of pinning. I just don't want to spend $200 on a basic reel and find that I've outgrown it in a few years. Something that's good to learn on and in a couple of years later, it'll be even better.

#9 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:12 PM

Any suggestions to pair a 13'6" Okuma Aventa float rod? I'm still going to use my spinning reel until I gather enough information to make a purchase on a centre-pin reel. The Okuma website suggests pairing it with their own Aventa or Sheffield pin reels for 'optimal' balance. I'm sure it's marketing, but wouldn't mind hearing from your suggestions on what would pair well with the rod.

I understand that a good centre-pin reel will cost me at least $200, but I think the most I'd spend would be $350, after taxes.

I've gathered that Raven SST2 is a good valued pin reel. I've been to Angling Specialties and their pin reels are just way out of my league. I've seen one on Kijiji for $550 and that's outta my price range too.

- the performance of the reel will not plateau as my experience gets better, but don't need pro grade performance

Thanks.

Islander the best bet, get a used one.

The Angling spec for sale is mine and I have it for sale. I might have an Islander in the near future for sale.
J

#10 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

What was bad about the ang spec reel? I might be able to get an Adcock Stanton, used, reel. It should be an interesting reel to keep me busy.

#11 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

Thanks.

I think you should check out the pin at www.sandpiperreels.com it sells for $235 and is made in Canada

#12 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

Islander the best bet, get a used one.

The Angling spec for sale is mine and I have it for sale. I might have an Islander in the near future for sale.
J

jc53 is right on!

I got my islander and 13' rod combo last year when I first started and still using the islander now.
It's a great reel to start off with. Something you can still use 10 years down the road if you don't feel the need to upgrade.
I've banged mine up quite a bit, but it's still going strong.

I'm considering getting an Ang Spec made soon though :o

#13 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

What was bad about the ang spec reel? I might be able to get an Adcock Stanton, used, reel. It should be an interesting reel to keep me busy.

Nothing wrong with the Angling specs (I have had two of them). I am a tackle junkie so I trade here and there.
The Islander are the best bet for the money I have had 5 of them. You can get them 250 or so used.

J

#14 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

I ended up picking a used Adcock Stanton reel for $140. I don't think it's one of the newer ones. It's metal on the back as well the front and a black plastic reel handle. Don't know much else about it. I'll post some pics when I'm on my laptop.

Can anyone add some info to this reel?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image