• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:21 PM

I've started my fishing with spin casters and later adapted the use of bait casters. Now, with my first season of salmon/trout underway, I've been introduced with centre-pinning. After a few outtings with the centre-pin, I can't conclude that one method would outfish the other method. Anglers have been hooking up trout/salmon using spinner or centre-pin, so what is the advantage with using a centre-pin?

#2 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

it depends where you are fishing, in some creeks out east you can do fine with spinning, but if you are making long drifts, its more simple to use centerpin, gives you better line control, less twists, faster hookups.

#3 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

it depends where you are fishing, in some creeks out east you can do fine with spinning, but if you are making long drifts, its more simple to use centerpin, gives you better line control, less twists, faster hookups.

True. A friend and I were fishing up north and he landed two with his spin cast and I got skunked, not even a bite. Might've been my line setup, since I didn't use a tippet. But the next day, I used a tippet and then a leader, I landed one and my friend got skunked.

Really hard to say whether using either methods makes a difference.

The day that my friend landed two trout, he let it drift pretty far down and depsite his line being in the waters, he still managed to land two.

#4 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

By spincast, I'm assuming you mean spinning reel?

#5 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

A centrepin reel allows you to control your float better than you can with a spinning reel. I've spent 35 years fishing steelhead with spinning gear and another 6 with the pin. I enjoy fighting the fish better with the centrepin where it's one on one. Because I'm older and seem to feel the cold more I will likely go to my spinning gear for the rest of the season. There are days when I cannot get anything to hit under my float when pinning that I regret not having my spinning gear to throw flatfish or spoons or spinners to coax a few fish into biting,and no I'm not going to start carrying 2 rods nor am I going to carry a spinning reel in my vest to switch. I accept the limitations on both methods of fishing and am quite willing to live with them. I must admit that I love both methods and if I could only choose one it would be pinning.

#6 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

Efka->sorry, yes, I did mean spinning reel.

Staffman->Yes, i think I'm in that same boat too, where I feel at times I'd love to be able to throw some spinners to try something different. The centre-pin really limits you to float fishing. But if nothing else is biting, I love the flexibility to switch different lures.

But I also love the drift free presentation that only a centre pin can offer.

I've hooked a few trout with the centre-pin, but I haven't hooked any fatties to really enjoy using a float reel. I'm still learning and I do look forward to using it each time.

#7 FrankTheRabbit

FrankTheRabbit

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

I just wanted to add my experience this past weekend. I went up north with my spinning reel and it was really difficult to control my line. It was so cold up there, ice flows were in the river so naturally, they would drag my line through the water and ruining my presentation. I really wished I had my centre-pin reel with me (it's being serviced). I think when casting far, it's really important to have the centre-pin reel so it keeps the right amount of line tension towards your float and peels your line accordingly. I guess it took more experience to realize that one huge benefit centre-pin reels have over spinning cast reels.

#8 LICENSETOPIN

LICENSETOPIN

Skrilla Skrilla

• Active Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

center pins are awsome and ment for long natural presentations. that being said the pinner has to adapt to every situation possible and that just comes with experience.
dont underestimate a spinning reel though, used properly one can drift as fluid as someone using a pin. although the range of the drift might be limited. lets face it not everyone
has money to spend on float gear, and you really dont need the high end stuff. theres cheaper stuff out there that'll do the job fine. a plus is when float fishing gets slow u can change up your
presentation such as throwing spinners, try that with a float reel with out getting line twist like a mofo.

#9 LICENSETOPIN

LICENSETOPIN

Skrilla Skrilla

• Active Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

btw eugene bring ur pin tomorow, ill show u how to use it to its full potential 8-)

#10 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

Any fishing with a float Centerpin is the way to go.
1- the fight is way better
2- more control over the fish when fighting
3- Because there is less line on water faster hook up and better presentation

Sure there are some areas of a river where you can fish a spinner w/ float and have the same affect as the C/P but the next hole might be longer. So why limit yourself

As for wanting to throw a lure bring the second rod and leave it in the car. I know it might be a long walk to the car, but if it means Fish On it's well worth it. :grin:

#11 Freezer

Freezer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

I got a centre pin in 2009 and I fly fish a lot. So, I was really use to the feel of fly reels, but when I used a centre pin it felt like a fly reel and it was easier for me to fish with a centre pin rather a spin reel.
I would recommend a centre pin to anyone who mainly target trout.

#12 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

I got a centre pin in 2009 and I fly fish a lot. So, I was really use to the feel of fly reels, but when I used a centre pin it felt like a fly reel and it was easier for me to fish with a centre pin rather a spin reel.
I would recommend a centre pin to anyone who mainly target trout.

really? can you post some pics of your setup?

#13 Freezer

Freezer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

really? can you post some pics of your setup?

My fly rod or float rod?

#14 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

never mind, though you fly fish using centerpin.

I got a centre pin in 2009 and I fly fish a lot,

#15 Freezer

Freezer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

never mind, though you fly fish using centerpin.

Naah, I dont I was just saying the feel of a centre pin is like a fly reel

#16 RedSkullz

RedSkullz

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

I have only ever used spinning rods...i dont use live bait normally, unless its just a tip of a worm on a spinner for scent in cloudy water. Where i fish in the spring for rainbows you would have a bugger of a time trying to walk through thick bush with an 8'+ rod. My 6'6" spooled with 8 pound test trilene XT or big game treats me just fine! Most years i get multiple fish in the 25"+ size....nothing like watching a huge rainbow in 2 feet deep clear water bulldogging up to hammer a #2 mepps or a #4 panther martin.

Out of curiosity, how does small spinners/spoons cast using a centerpin reel? I have never used one myself and the only time i have seen them in use the guys are tossing float/live bait setups.