• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyD

JohnnyD

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Drove to the northern side of Lake Scugog today, at the boat launch off Sand Bar Rd. I was expecting little to no ice and hoped to be able to cast and small path and burn some hours off shore fishing today. To my surprise the lake is frozen over with about 1-2 inches of snow. About 100m off shore between the channel markers were two guys ice fishing! As for the thickness of the ice I cannot attest to that. I did jump up and down and attempt to break through, but had no success. I'm going to venture out Monday morning and drill through every 50 feet or so for my own safety and will have proper information at that time :cool: . Looks like an early start to the hardwater fishing season, and with next weeks below zero temperatures it should be perfect by the holidays :razz: !

Cheers,

John

#2 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

Can't wait...I should be out there next weekend.

#3 frozenfire

frozenfire

• Active Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:53 AM

Ventured out for early ice crappie at night.
Unfortunately, missed the sunset bite :(

Worked hard, but found a few crappie right at a weed edge.
Small plastics worked slowwwww.
The fish would come up and literally sit with their face right next to your lure for a while before taking. Missed several fish.
Ended up with 6 crappie...nothing spectacular in terms of size.

Saw about 3 other groups out there. 1 guy got a walleye...released...according to him.
Slush EVERYWHERE. Only 4-5" of solid ice where it was slushy.
The wet slush made for a tiring walk. Ice also formed from the water at the bottom of my floatation suit. Very annoying.

#4 greg

greg

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

Drove to the northern side of Lake Scugog today, at the boat launch off Sand Bar Rd. I was expecting little to no ice and hoped to be able to cast and small path and burn some hours off shore fishing today. To my surprise the lake is frozen over with about 1-2 inches of snow. About 100m off shore between the channel markers were two guys ice fishing! As for the thickness of the ice I cannot attest to that. I did jump up and down and attempt to break through, but had no success. I'm going to venture out Monday morning and drill through every 50 feet or so for my own safety and will have proper information at that time :cool: . Looks like an early start to the hardwater fishing season, and with next weeks below zero temperatures it should be perfect by the holidays :razz: !

Cheers,

John

Hey JohnnyD, any idea what the ice up there was like today?