1 reply to this topic

#1 stdavidsboy

stdavidsboy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Hi everyone. Just introducing myself.

I do a little bit of everything, more of some things than of others. Mostly fly-fishing for trout, sometimes smallmouth, and float fishing/centerpin for steelhead is my latest craze. I'm new-ish to float fishing but getting the hang of it. Haven't for a while but used to frequent Lake Ontario's south shore for salmon and laketrout. Otherwise it's some casual walleye fishing, ice fishing for perch, etc... anything with fins.

Generally I frequent the Niagara whirlpool, Queenston drift, mouth of the Niagara, Port Dalhousie, Lake Simcoe, some muskoka lakes and the Nipigon River & tributaries way up toward Thunder Bay. I live near the Humber river so it'd be great to know more about the Credit and Humber and similar geographically "local" rivers because work keeps me from fishing more than I'd like if it's >1.5 hours away. I've always wanted to have some plans for a *focused* weekend trip to fish the saugeen or maitland or something like that, but I just don't know enough that I wouldn't be totally wasting my time.

I do tie my own flies, and have amassed an unholy collection of materials and supplies, but so far am stuck for the down-time to master the art of tying... honestly I'd rather be on the water than at the desk, though I'd rather be at the tying desk than the work desk!

I'm looking for some mentorship/advice on a decent float rod with a light to moderate action that's lightweight and not too much sag... recommendations?
Also, where to go, how to fish, in the GTA.
A good weekend centerpin fishing destination
ANY tips really on how to find some floating/fly action!

Looking forward to hearing from someone.

Cheers,
Marc

#2 Guest_blair_*

Guest_blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:20 PM