4 replies to this topic

#1 catfish 136

catfish 136

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hi Fishing Fanatics,

I'm new to Canada and looking for any helpful information on fishing waters in or around Woodbridge, Ontario.

I'm an experienced fisherman with catches including carp to 52lbs and catfish to 136lbs but would love to experience fishing for Steelhead, Pike, Bass etc and any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 openfire

openfire

Administrator

• Active Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Welcome aboard to Canada and OFF. I can tell you that there is nothing swimming in Woodbridge anywhere near 136 lbs, or even 52 lbs -- except for maybe the shark in the tank at Big Als on Rutherford Rd!

The good news is that there is some good fishing in your area and nearby to be had come summer. Stick around. Right now the steelhead action is only open at or near the river mouths, with a few exceptions.

Feel free to ask any questions in the forums!

Cheers

#3 Djsms

Djsms

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hi Fishing Fanatics,

I'm new to Canada and looking for any helpful information on fishing waters in or around Woodbridge, Ontario.

I'm an experienced fisherman with catches including carp to 52lbs and catfish to 136lbs but would love to experience fishing for Steelhead, Pike, Bass etc and any advice would be much appreciated.

Welcome.

Your in for a good year! Humber river is in your back yard. Go south for steelhead, north for resident browns. The odd steelhead and salmon do make it to woodbridge and furthar but I have never seen them in numbers.

#4 catfish 136

catfish 136

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

I will down size the photo's of the 136lbs and the 52lbs and put them on the site, and I realize that there may not be anything like this around here in Woodbridge but it's not always about size, I'm just as happy with a bend in my rod from a 3 pounder as a thirty pounder, its all about being there and partaking.

I was talking to a guy in a local fishing tackle shop in Barrie the other week and he was kind enough to point me in the right direction with regard to rods, reels and tactics for Steelhead but he was a little busy to discuss venues etc so it would be good to get some local knowledge regarding this.

Also I have taken a look at some of the lakes, ei: Lake Simcoe and Lake Ontario to try to find some areas that might be good for Carp fishing but they are so vast compared to the lakes and rivers in Europe that you could spend most of the time on watercraft looking for fish instead of actually fishing for them so a push in the right direction regarding this would be a great help.

Another aspect of angling I would love to try is ice fishing, I have heard so much about it so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

On the flip side of things if anybody is planning a fishing trip to Europe, ie: England, Spain or France in general I would gladly give any help and hints on all aspects of fishing these waters.

Look forward to hearing from anybody on the above points.

Colin.

Welcome aboard to Canada and OFF. I can tell you that there is nothing swimming in Woodbridge anywhere near 136 lbs, or even 52 lbs -- except for maybe the shark in the tank at Big Als on Rutherford Rd!

The good news is that there is some good fishing in your area and nearby to be had come summer. Stick around. Right now the steelhead action is only open at or near the river mouths, with a few exceptions.

Feel free to ask any questions in the forums!

Cheers

#5 catfish 136

catfish 136

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

Hi,

Many thanks for your input its much appreciated.

I really cant wait to wet a line, the last couple of years has been very busy work wise and now I have some down time I just want the weather to improve so I can get out there amongst them.

Where on the Humber River would you recommend I try, as I said I have only been here about 6 weeks so still very new to the area.

Cheers

Welcome.

Your in for a good year! Humber river is in your back yard. Go south for steelhead, north for resident browns. The odd steelhead and salmon do make it to woodbridge and furthar but I have never seen them in numbers.