25 replies to this topic

#1 adamsmith13

adamsmith13

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

Hey everyone,

I've been looking around the forums and haven't seen anything about using frogs as bait.
When I was younger I mainly used frogs, worms, and small cranks for bait, and they all worked
like a charm.

I was wondering if using frogs has fallen out of favour or if you're even allowed to anymore.
The last few years of fishing I haven't used them because I was living in the city, but to be
honest, even when I did go out fishing I didn't really see many around.

What's your take?

adam

#2 Djsms

Djsms

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

I have used frogs a few times for bass. Too bad you can't re use them after you hit a fish, they work great! Also another time i was fishing for bass and this guy was there with a net catching frogs. I asked him what he was going to do with them, he said he uses them to catch walleye in lake Ontario. Anyway I believe there is only one type of frog legal to use for bait the northern leopard frog. There also fun to catch!

#3 adamsmith13

adamsmith13

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:08 AM

I have used frogs a few times for bass. Too bad you can't re use them after you hit a fish, they work great! Also another time i was fishing for bass and this guy was there with a net catching frogs. I asked him what he was going to do with them, he said he uses them to catch walleye in lake Ontario. Anyway I believe there is only one type of frog legal to use for bait the northern leopard frog. There also fun to catch!

thanks for the reply.

i never see them being written about as a live bait, but i would say they belong up there with minnows as a killer bait - especially for catching really big fish.
maybe it's the way you have to hook them that shies people away from them?

#4 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

Yes, frogs work great! My brother and I used to first catch the frogs using dragonfly!! Tie the tail of the dragonfly to a light thread and release it in front of a frog, then use the frog for fishing :-))

#5 ret0dd

ret0dd

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

i thought frogs where illegal

#6 Djsms

Djsms

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

i thought frogs where illegal

Read the regs under live bait that is legal.

See below

Baitfish
Includes those caught and or purchased. See list of permitted baitfish species.
Only resident anglers may capture baitfish, using the methods outlined below.
One baitfish trap no more than 51 cm
(20 in.) long and 31 cm (12.2 in.) wide can be used day or night. Baitfish traps must be clearly marked with the licence holder’s name and address.
One dip-net no more than 183 cm (6 ft.) on each side if square, or 183 cm (6 ft.) across if circular, during daylight hours only (after sunrise and before sunset).
Dip-nets and baitfish traps may not be used in Algonquin Park.
Leeches
Includes those caught and or purchased.
Only one leech trap no more than 45 cm (17.7 in.) in any dimension can be used day or night to capture leeches. Leech traps must be clearly marked with the licence holder’s name.
Crayfish
Must be used in same water body where caught. May not be transported overland. May be captured by hand or using the methods outlined for baitfish above.
Frogs
Only northern leopard frogs may be captured or used as bait.
Anglers with a valid recreational fishing licence may capture their own bait for personal use as follows:
It is illegal to bring any crayfish, salamanders, live fish or leeches into Ontario for use as bait.
Minnows

#7 ret0dd

ret0dd

Sunfish

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

hmm i guess i was told it was illegal to use frogs in algonquin

and other live bait etc

#8 Coreyhkh

Coreyhkh

Sunfish

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:36 PM

I hardly see leopard frogs anymore just green frogs and bullfrogs.

#9 Djsms

Djsms

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

I hardly see leopard frogs anymore just green frogs and bullfrogs.

Really? I see them all the time but I fish north of Toronto. I wonder if they have a general zone they can be found in.

#10 westeyes

westeyes

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

Amphibians have been on a mass decline for the past 15-20 years.

I say leave them be, and use other plentiful (and just as effective) bait.

#11 Coreyhkh

Coreyhkh

Sunfish

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:14 PM

Those new LIVETARGET frogs are awesome they are better then live frogs as they can be reused a lot, plus they are weedless.

#12 threeparrots

threeparrots

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:10 PM

Amphibians have been on a mass decline for the past 15-20 years.

I say leave them be, and use other plentiful (and just as effective) bait.

Yeah - use artificial. Can people really put a living FROG on a hook just to catch a fish? Why not throw a kitten on a hook while you're at it?

#13 Coreyhkh

Coreyhkh

Sunfish

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

Iam not sure its true but I heard in the old days they used to use kittens for muskie and Large Pike.

You would have to be a little sick in the head to do that.

#14 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

wanted to post a video, bu changed my mind after watching it again.... poor kittens....

#15 Guest_blair_*

Guest_blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

[

#16 Kit

Kit

Canadian River Angler

• Premium Account

• 1,895 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

You can buy some pretty real frog lures, I agree with Blair we should leave them alone. Buy lures work just as good.

#17 adamsmith13

adamsmith13

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

yeah i understand all points raised. i would still use them, albeit less often, if i found some. i also use a couple different artificial frogs as well. i generally get more bass, but less pike, with real frogs.

#18 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

Yeah - use artificial. Can people really put a living FROG on a hook just to catch a fish? Why not throw a kitten on a hook while you're at it?

But using minnows is okay? Snagging is horrible and lining is unethical, but purposely hooking a smaller fish through its mouth or back is perfectly alright?

And people are talking about the great decline of the NLF, but according to the IUCN, it's of least concern

http://www.iucnredli...details/58695/0

I've never used frogs as live bait by the way, just stating the facts.

#19 threeparrots

threeparrots

Sunfish

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

But using minnows is okay? Snagging is horrible and lining is unethical, but purposely hooking a smaller fish through its mouth or back is perfectly alright?

And people are talking about the great decline of the NLF, but according to the IUCN, it's of least concern

http://www.iucnredli...details/58695/0

I've never used frogs as live bait by the way, just stating the facts.

Clearly no facts here. I never said I used minnows. Get with the program.

#20 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:52 PM

Clearly no facts here. I never said I used minnows. Get with the program.

?

I never said YOU used minnows, just that on the whole, people are okay with using minnows but for some reason God forbid you use a frog. And yes, completely ignore all the other facts posted.