22 replies to this topic

#1 just_add_water

just_add_water

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

Hello there,

My name is James. I emigrated to Canada with my wife on March 1st. I live in Toronto. We shipped our entire house contents from Europe. They arrived yesterday. More importantly, my fishing gear is now here. I haven't cast a line for a few months. It has to happen this weekend! I've bought the lot with me; fly, spinning, jerk bait, float rods. You name it.

The question is: Where can I go for an early morning / afternoon fish this weekend? I live in Liberty Village and I do not own a car yet. I'm not fussy. Trout, pike (are they in season?) bass, carp... you get the picture.

Oh, and what license should I get?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Tight lines.

James.

#2 Andy Lee

Andy Lee

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

welcome to canada...the greatest country in the world. Good choice on souther ontario as well, great place to live!

i'm not too sure about the toronto area, but i'm sure it wouldnt be hard to pick up a fishing regulation guide from a local bait shop, or searching online, or even searching this website (or waiting for someone that knows toronto better) and then find out which creeks or rivers are good. I live about 30 minutes outside of Toronto, so I usually fish the creeks in Oshawa or Bowmanville, you'd be better off somewhere closer to where you live assuming you don't have a car.
Right now, your best bet is rainbow trout (steelhead) in the creeks, and if you have the patience, opening weekend is april 23, which opens up a lot of fishing area. As well, walleye and bass open in the next cpl months, so you'd have to wait for that.

I know this isn't much help, but I figured this might set you in the right direction. Hopefully someone that lives near you can help you out with some general fishing spots, as I don't live in that area so i'm not sure about spots. If you have a car, Oshawa and Bowmanville and Ajax have creeks, and is probably about 30-45 minute drive from where you are.

Anyways, welcome to the greatest country in the world. good luck fishing my friend!

#3 fisher12

fisher12

Perch

• Active Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

Yes welcome, I always post this or something similar to this for newcomers http://www.tommythom...portunities.pdf, search google you can find out alot of information and try searching this forum and other forums too.

#4 just_add_water

just_add_water

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

Thank you chaps.

It's good to touch base with some locals. I'm sure I can dig something up online. I hear and read lots about the Toronto Islands. Maybe i'll have a poke about there. I also have my bicycle, so i'm not completely stranded. I do try to avoid public transport though. ;-)

I'll probably have a wander over to Wison's on Saturday to by my licence and talk to a few more locals.

Cheers guys. Tight lines.

#5 Esoxtrout

Esoxtrout

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

Welcome to Canada

It sounds like you have all the gear covered off for fishing around here. Here's a few links that might be of use to you

If the majority of fishing you do is going to be catch and release than a Conservation Licence will do, but if you like to really eat fish and want a higher possession limit than the Sport Fishing Licence would be better suited for you

1.Fishing Regulations We are in Zone16
2. Guide to eating Ontario sportfish Not sure if you need this one but i'ts always good to know

Hope this helps, good luck and welcome!

#6 just_add_water

just_add_water

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:38 PM

Hey,

Thank you sir. The zone map is extremely useful. Looks like i'll be chasing yellow perch this weekend.

Any tips on locations in the Toronto area? I presume they're everywhere.

#7 reefrunner

reefrunner

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

Welcome!

All these guys pointed you in the right direction. I would receommend thouroughly reading the Regulations posted by Esoxtrout. You'll find most of your answers there (season openers, posession limits, etc.)

#8 just_add_water

just_add_water

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

Great. Thanks.

I'm looking for somewhere to go catch yellow perch this weekend. Needs to be fairly close to Liberty Village. What about Grenadier Pond in High Park?

#9 Guest_blair_*

Guest_blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

[

#10 just_add_water

just_add_water

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i'm going to like it here :grin:

Can anyone point me in the direction of yellow perch?

#11 ChrisdBass

ChrisdBass

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

What's happenin man welcome, I live in liberty village as well. I'm actually writing this as Im looking for fish here At ontario place, don't really see anythin..anyways ya we should hook up one day I usually pass by high park and a few other spots I can show u. I also own a bass boat too so I like to head to some other lakes when I got time. So ya man we should meet up for a drink and a smoke and fish!

#12 just_add_water

just_add_water

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

Ahhhh, music to my ears. I'll message you now...

#13 Meppsman

Meppsman

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i'm going to like it here :grin:

Can anyone point me in the direction of yellow perch?

Try lake simcoe. They taste really good too.

#14 Alejandroi1

Alejandroi1

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

hey sorry i caught this thread so late but if you want perch u can go to the Toronto Islands via the centre island ferry and fish off some docks. Last summer i went there with my buddies and i caught a nice perch around 20 inches using a small crankbait that looked like a minnow. The perch will also take small spoons, and possibly spinners. As for live bait i gues that worms would work i dont know about other stuff. You could also wait until tomorrow for pike opener and go fish from shore at lake ontario or at the islands. They like spoons crankbaits, suckers, and alot of lures that fish such as largemouth would take. Good luck.

#15 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

pike opened over a week ago on the islands

#16 RedSkullz

RedSkullz

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

Try to get a car as soon as you can!! Get out of the city north two or more hours and you'll see some of the most beautiful country in the world, not to mention some of the best fishing in the world! :)
Sorry i cant help you with the in the city locations.

#17 just_add_water

just_add_water

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

Great tip.

I've rented a cottage just north of Dorset (Algonquin) end of May. 7 days in paradise ;-)

#18 RedSkullz

RedSkullz

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

My buddies parents own a cottage on Kawagama lake in dorset. Whats the lake you are renting on?

#19 Alejandroi1

Alejandroi1

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

LOL i failed i thought pike was opener was today in zone 16 (16th of may) I cancelled my trip to the islands but am planning to go sometime this week hopin to catch a pike w. my good buddy.

#20 just_add_water

just_add_water

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

Clinto lake, a.k.a. Hardwood lake.

Any tips for bass? Never fished for them. I'm really keen to catch them on the fly...