• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

I just caught a goby, which I think is invasive and told to kill. Verify this for me. I'm at the island right now. If no one replies I'll release it back

#2 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

Kill them. Don't use as bait cus I think they poison other fish if ingested. It's in the regulation book

#3 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:22 PM

I just caught a goby, which I think is invasive and told to kill. Verify this for me. I'm at the island right now. If no one replies I'll release it back

Yes gobies are an invasive spieces and the fishing regulations say that they should be be destroyed and not released back into the waters. Personally I don't know what that will accomplish as they are here to stay now.

Alfie.

#4 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

I guess it's like cutting the grass. So it doesnt get out of control. Lol

#5 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

I guess it's like cutting the grass. So it doesnt get out of control. Lol

Ya, with a pair of manicure scissors. :rolleyes:

#6 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:45 PM

Are you sure it's a goby and not a log perch, darter or sculpin?

#7 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

Ya, with a pair of manicure scissors. :rolleyes:

Lmao. One of the reasons the regs state for killing gobies is that they eat the eggs and young of other fish. They can also spawn multiple times each year.

Alfie.

#8 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

Kill Kill Kill. Don't toss back. The Goby are eating the eggs of bass and walleyes. The males are so aggressive when guarding their eggs that they attack our game fish. It's another invasive species from Europe just like the Zebra mussles. About the only good from gobies are they are said to eat the Zebras, from what I read. They don't belong here. How should we kill them, humanely that is? Or should we show no mercy? Anyone got any ideas?

#9 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

Kill Kill Kill. Don't toss back. The Goby are eating the eggs of bass and walleyes. The males are so aggressive when guarding their eggs that they attack our game fish. It's another invasive species from Europe just like the Zebra mussles. About the only good from gobies are they are said to eat the Zebras, from what I read. They don't belong here. How should we kill them, humanely that is? Or should we show no mercy? Anyone got any ideas?

Ya I do. Make sure you know it's goby in the first place.

#10 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

There was a lot of them.... I put it into my metal cage live well and it escaped through the holes somehow. Lol I had fun at the islands caught 20 perched sized bass minnows with worms and released them all. Where were the parents at? But I did see a fish jump. Next time I'll target these goby and they to kill them all

#11 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:24 PM

Its pretty easy to identify a goby, if anyone doesnt know what a goby looks like refer to the regulations they have a diagram of a goby in there.

Ive never heard that they are poisonous for fish to consume.

#12 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

Lol I was gonna kill it by just letting it die on the grass but I pit it into livewell increase it shouldn't be killed, I'll post a picture of it later to verify it is a goby, this one got away though, next time I'll kill em all

#13 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

Put and invade typo

#14 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

Incase not invade, stupid phone auto changes my words

#15 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

Its pretty easy to identify a goby, if anyone doesnt know what a goby looks like refer to the regulations they have a diagram of a goby in there.

Ive never heard that they are poisonous for fish to consume.

It is not always easy to identify fish especially for novice angles but even experienced anglers can mis-identify fish.

When there is an outbreak , they have found the bacteria that causes botulism in zebra mussels. Gobies eat zebra mussels so the may also be contaminated with the bacteria and die from it. Other animals like sheephead and diver ducks also eat zebra mussels and also may get poisoned. Botulism is one of the forms of food poisoning.

#16 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

I heard that they were. Quoting what someone told me. I could be wrong but I would help with killing them

#17 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:13 PM

Goby killing day. I don't have a problem catching them. Does anyone make a rod small enough to make a gobie's fight feel like a real fish?

I just found this http://lakehuron.ca/...page=round-goby The Zebra mussles pick up the E botulism and the goby eat the Zebras and up the food chain.

The germ can enter thru cuts. Wikipedia says they can carry 25 parasites on them, in them. Holy crap we have to kill them!

They are easy to identify at least for me since they look alot like a mud skipper, a fish I wanted for my aquarium. Look up Sculpins and you'll see the difference. Just kill the Goby.

Better to carry and use hand sanitizer after handling a goby, just to be safe.

#18 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:53 AM

Gobies have a fused pelvic fin whereas sculpins have a separated one.

Posted Image

#19 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:02 AM

I only toke picture of it's side view, looks like a round goby, are sculpins are dangerous as gobys as well?

#20 Somenomai

Somenomai

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:33 AM

Im pretty sure anything that looks like a goby on the islands is an actual goby. The islands are completely packed with them. If you fish too close too the bottom with worms, its practically all you'll get.