• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 dcrisci

dcrisci

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hey im headed up to rice lake this weekend and i dont normally fish there. Ive been there a few times and caught some nice smallies but i have never been up there around this time of the year. What sort of lures would be great at this time of year? And whats the chance of catching a pike or musky in those waters, seeing as ive never caught one on that lake

#2 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

Drop shot Slammers. They catch everything. You may not get a pike, there are the odd ones in there but I would say no pike but maybe a musky. They catch walleye, largies, smallies, perch, crappie and everything else.

Good luck.

Dirk

#3 Broken Bobber

Broken Bobber

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

Drop shot Slammers. They catch everything. You may not get a pike, there are the odd ones in there but I would say no pike but maybe a musky. They catch walleye, largies, smallies, perch, crappie and everything else.

Good luck.

Dirk

#4 Broken Bobber

Broken Bobber

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

Hey Dirk,

Heading to Rice Lake tomorrow...
When you do drop shot slammers do you go weedless or leave the hook out a bit? Never fished Rice before.

Thanks,
John

#5 ALN

ALN

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Rice lake is really weedy all around the shallows and even some deeper areas. I would go Texas rigging them and dropping then down. Of it looks like an area that doesn't have much or any weed do a nose hook for better action.

#6 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Hey Dirk,

Heading to Rice Lake tomorrow...
When you do drop shot slammers do you go weedless or leave the hook out a bit? Never fished Rice before.

Thanks,
John

I hook them like a typical dropshot rig is supposed to be rigged, hook fully exposed, never weedless. If you fish it properly you will hook a very minimal amount of weeds.

Dirk

#7 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

OOPS! Got confused by the Dates here.

Was going to say you better hope MUSKIE don't like any of them.

Zone 17 Pike is open all year. ......Muskie is Limited to ONE between First Saturday in June to December 15th. and it MUST be over 44".

I guess You're okay???? :smile: :smile:

#8 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

If by chance you do catch a pike, you are encouraged to keep them. The MNR considers them to be invasive. I posted a while back about how to fillet a pike. If you're going to the east side near Hastings you might even get a tiger musky ( I think they are pike/musky hybrid, gets better mileage....lol). Tiger's fight longer and harder so some say, I've never had one.

I'm waiting for the BPS Spring Classic to get some of those Berkley's Gulp Minnows. I've always had more hits with them then other "hyped" plastics. Berkley is also a older company with a much better/longer track record. They spend who knows how many millions of $ in research for their fish attractant lures. One other thing, the steelhead I just caught recently was on a Berkley Power Maggot that I bought 20 years ago and kept in a air tight jar, so their baits last a long time.....lol.

Good luck, and enjoy that pike. Let us know how you made out.

#9 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

grubman preaches the truth gulp is the real deal. In my experience pike will simply refuse to let them go even once you've landed them. I don't usually even use them for bass in the summer unless I'm getting skunked on everything else because it feels like cheating haha!

Good luck!

#10 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Back

I think you get a bigger bang for your bucks with the Berkley's. How many are in a tub of Gulp,? Slammers are $7 for 6 or 8 so nearly a buck each, give or take and they rip with the first or second fish. The Berkley cost more but you get more for a lure that works. And that stinky juice they come in, you gotta miss that smell......lol. I've heard some angler's, when they've used up the Berkley bait and only have the bucket with the juice will put their regular plastics in it. So you get double use out of the Gulp. The Gulp lures are soft so they have a more life like action too.

If you can afford both put them to the test and you'll be tossing the slammers.

Good luck.

#11 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks Back

I think you get a bigger bang for your bucks with the Berkley's. How many are in a tub of Gulp,? Slammers are $7 for 6 or 8 so nearly a buck each, give or take and they rip with the first or second fish. The Berkley cost more but you get more for a lure that works. And that stinky juice they come in, you gotta miss that smell......lol. I've heard some angler's, when they've used up the Berkley bait and only have the bucket with the juice will put their regular plastics in it. So you get double use out of the Gulp. The Gulp lures are soft so they have a more life like action too.

If you can afford both put them to the test and you'll be tossing the slammers.

Good luck.

Just a heads up the Gulp Alive in the tub of juice has a tendency to leak if in a pack upside down or side ways. I learned the hard way, now my car smells like gulp alive lol

#12 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Just a heads up the Gulp Alive in the tub of juice has a tendency to leak if in a pack upside down or side ways. I learned the hard way, now my car smells like gulp alive lol

Quick cut the carpets out and use it to tie up some woolly buggers. Man you'll be nailing them left and right...........lol. Your carpet will look like swiss cheese but that's what floor mats are for.........LMAO. :D

#13 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Quick cut the carpets out and use it to tie up some woolly buggers. Man you'll be nailing them left and right...........lol. Your carpet will look like swiss cheese but that's what floor mats are for.........LMAO. :D

Buddy you sound like you've done this before (fakes alarm) fishing psycho! JK, I would totally support that decision. The gulp scent/taste is stupid effective. I once landed a crayfish with a 3" chartreuse grub minnow on a 1/4oz jig... It had it in its claw and the thing didn't let go until i shook the line. C'mon lol...soo unfair. Still have a pack in my gear though haha :oops: and I'm excited to try out some of the Berkley Havoc when I'm failing with spinners spoons and cranks

#14 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

Lol thats halarious! :lol: "now selling scented flies"

#15 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

Yup I've had my gulp leeches leak on me too.......lol. The problem with the tub is you have to put the lid on properly, no cross threading. The lid feels like the cheap type of plastic that cracks easily, high styrene content. They should have included a styrofoam disc sealer in the lid to prevent spills. I'll probably get some tupper ware and transfer a few to those instead of the original tub.

I'll buy any flies you make from your carpet.....haha. I don't care how fugly they look, cuz I know they'll work.....lol. Call them Berkley's scented flies, call them up and you'll be rich............ ;)

#16 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Yup I've had my gulp leeches leak on me too.......lol. The problem with the tub is you have to put the lid on properly, no cross threading. The lid feels like the cheap type of plastic that cracks easily, high styrene content. They should have included a styrofoam disc sealer in the lid to prevent spills. I'll probably get some tupper ware and transfer a few to those instead of the original tub.

I'll buy any flies you make from your carpet.....haha. I don't care how fugly they look, cuz I know they'll work.....lol. Call them Berkley's scented flies, call them up and you'll be rich............ ;)

Lol, I wish it was that easy! The other day we went into the fishing store up by couch (forget the name). And they had a package of containers made by berkley for the gulp alive. They were more air tight then the bigger one you buy originaly. Its pretty sad they made seperate contaiers that dont leak instead of just fixing the original problem..lol this morning I got in my car and the smell is so strong! Even after I tried to clean it up. Maybe I can sell them an Air Freshner idea..its been over 2 weeks and it still like it just happend..lol

#17 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Haha. There goes the resale value of your car, unless you sell it to another angler.........lol. Air freshener? Isn't there some kinda redneck joke like, you know you're a redneck when you hang a Gulp Worm on your rearview mirrow as a car freshener..............lol.

I'd say take a trip to Nova Scotia, screw on some big hooks on your hood, tie a big rope to your frame, toss your car in the ocean and hope for a giant squid or a sperm whale to take it.....lol. It'll be the biggest fight of your life.....lol.

That's the downside of Berkley, they wanna make money on every-little-thing.

#18 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Oh I'm not planning on selling the P.O.S. Once I buy a new vehicle this ones goin to be a poject of mine, make it into a muddin' jeep. Nova Scotia eh? That could be fun, can only just imagen the looks on all the faces as I tie up hooks to my roof racks. And start off pedal to the metal and drive it straight int the water lol. Get out and sit on the end of the pier, line in hand..lol

#19 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Slammers outfished the GULP in the juice by a ratio of about 5:1 on Rice Lake.

Dirk

#20 CanadianAngler87

CanadianAngler87

Perch

• Active Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Slammers outfished the GULP in the juice by a ratio of about 5:1 on Rice Lake.

Dirk

Never tried slammers before, I usualy just use real minnows. How do YOU rig up your plastics for rice? Drop shot? Jig head? Just curious as too what was successful.