• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 BackwoodsBassr

BackwoodsBassr

Perch

• Active Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Slammers outfished the GULP in the juice by a ratio of about 5:1 on Rice Lake.

Dirk

Dirk: thanks for the info! I'll be sure to try some out when I hit the Kawartha region this summer! Just out of curiosty what size minnows did you use?

IMO the gulps have a really small profile and I've found that anything but the 4" is a little too small for dropshot rigs. I use the 3" or sometimes even the 2.5" gulp minnows when I want to cast or jig with small harnesses and jigheads (and they rock) but I don't like em' for dropshotting. Thats JMO though and I'm by no means a dropshot expert so anyone's advice/opinion on this would be great!

#22 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Never tried slammers before, I usualy just use real minnows. How do YOU rig up your plastics for rice? Drop shot? Jig head? Just curious as too what was successful.

Slammers I drop shot. Senkos I rig Texas or Carolina. Tubes on a tube jig.

Dirk: thanks for the info! I'll be sure to try some out when I hit the Kawartha region this summer! Just out of curiosty what size minnows did you use?

IMO the gulps have a really small profile and I've found that anything but the 4" is a little too small for dropshot rigs. I use the 3" or sometimes even the 2.5" gulp minnows when I want to cast or jig with small harnesses and jigheads (and they rock) but I don't like em' for dropshotting. Thats JMO though and I'm by no means a dropshot expert so anyone's advice/opinion on this would be great!

I believe the GULP was the 4" version and the Slammer is the original, Don't use live minnows.

#23 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Dirk what size of slammers work best for rice, do you change the sizes through out the season or stick to one size?

#24 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Not sure of the actual size but most of the time I use the regular Slammer but when bite slows I change to the Mini Slammer. I also upsize to the fat Slammer when the bite is on as the increased size draws the bigger fish in.

Dirk

#25 dontrockthedock

dontrockthedock

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Where can I buy Slammers near kitchener or guelph? I cant find them on basspro website

#26 BASS BUSTER !

BASS BUSTER !

Bass! Pike! Muskie!

• Active Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

Where can I buy Slammers near kitchener or guelph? I cant find them on basspro website

I've never used them myself but your question peaked my interest.

GOOGLE is the best way to find anything you are looking for. Fast & Easy To Use. Bass Pro is just ONE Store.

I put in "Slammers" and the second one was "X Zone Lures". They make and distribute "Slammers". Also sell on line if I remember correctly.

Looking for somewhere near you? They have a List on their site of their Dealers. 54 of them. All with Location, Map of, and Direct WWW Site Connection if they have one.

I grabbed The Link to X Zone Lures. IT'S HERE

Selection of Their "Slammers" is Pictured Below. Four Types in Different Quantities and Prices. They also have other Soft Baits.

That should "Do It" for You. :rolleyes:

#27 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Hook, Line n Sinker 380 Eramosa Rd. Guelph Ontario N1E 6R2 519 766 4665

Natural Sports 1572 Victoria Street North Kitchener Ontario N2B 3E5 1 888 MAX FISH

Dirk

#28 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:08 PM

Fellow anglers! First time back on the forum in quite some time. Avid Rice Lake fisherman and holder of the secret havens :P. 2 weeks ago I spent a full 7 days out on the lake at Southview Cottages and only got out on the water twice. First trip was with my girlfriend and her two friends on a pontoon boat anchored along one of my favorite weedlines and let me tell ya 30 minutes before the dark fully came in as well as a heavy storm and we landed 4 Pickerel and 1 catfish. All the Pickerel were above slot limit and released. The next day I was able to just take out my girlfriend and we had a fun day out on the water and we had a blast catching 6 total but kept 4 for dinner.

http://s1363.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0  That is what she caught

http://s1363.photobu...html?sort=3&o=1 This is what I managed to pull out. Got carried away thought we were eating as soon as we pulled the fish out!

#29 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Nice looking eyes.

Dirk

#30 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

That second shot made me chuckle, sounds like you've got them 'eyes dialed right in on Rice, good job and fun report :cool:

#31 BrutemanAl

BrutemanAl

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

I used to keep my boat at a marina in gores landing and fished rice lake at least 3 - 5 days a week , there are some pretty big fish in that lake , biggest I pulled out was a 7.5 lb large mouth .

#32 Colesy

Colesy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Drop shot Slammers. They catch everything. You may not get a pike, there are the odd ones in there but I would say no pike but maybe a musky. They catch walleye, largies, smallies, perch, crappie and everything else.

Good luck.

Dirk

Just wanted to say I enjoy your tips Dirk! Rice is our lake also...if you ever see an old red springbok runabout say Hi...glad I am getting back into fishing and being able to read your tips help!