Photo

Do any of you have tip's on tying and presenting dry flies?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thameriver

thameriver

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:32 PM

Does any of you have tips on tying dry flies and how best to select and present your choice of dry fly?

I would say that I am at the intermediate stage of tying wet flies, nymphs, and of course streamers. However, I would like to get into dry fly fishing as well.

Thank you and great fishing!

#2 thameriver

thameriver

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:12 AM

Yup, remember not to use fluorocarbon with dry flies because it'll sink it :wink: Carrying floatant is a good idea, but some flies have a little something at the top that keeps it floating for you :wink:

Thank you for the reply. Is there a particular brand of floatant that you would remomend?

#3 fishing with a fly

fishing with a fly

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:20 AM

I would recommend Gink or loon outdoors floatant they seem to work best

#4 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

I use Fenwick brand. Scientific Angler is also good for me. Both are silicone gel. Shake it up, squeeze a little on your forefinger and rub with your thumb then smear on the dry fly - give it a blow to break up any matting and you're good to go.
Selecting dry flies? Entomology is a second hobby. Learn the cycles, identify what's coming off and match the hatch. Size is more important than colour - but close counts.
Tying flies? Lots of videos online, and the fishing shows usually have demos. You could join a club, and some fly shops have lessons available.

#5 thameriver

thameriver

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:15 AM

I use Fenwick brand. Scientific Angler is also good for me. Both are silicone gel. Shake it up, squeeze a little on your forefinger and rub with your thumb then smear on the dry fly - give it a blow to break up any matting and you're good to go.
Selecting dry flies? Entomology is a second hobby. Learn the cycles, identify what's coming off and match the hatch. Size is more important than colour - but close counts.
Tying flies? Lots of videos online, and the fishing shows usually have demos. You could join a club, and some fly shops have lessons available.

So the techniques for dry fly selection are quite simular to nymphing and using wet flys then. And I am now looking into joining one of the local tying clubs as they meet at the legion near my place. I was just reading up on them before I popped online. Also, I have attached a link that leads to a fly tying video by Davie McPhail. He has several youtube video's and they are high quality and quite easy to follow.

Thank you for the reply. Take care and Great Fishing!

Link below Shows how to tie a Catskill style dry fly.

http://www.youtube.c...02D4005F5CB16A4

#6 Jim

Jim

Sunfish

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

Using bouyant materials also helps, false casting to dry, or chemicals as suggested. I have used moose mane for tail material and it's like a cork - just not very durable. The internet when searched has many very detailed sites for tying instructions and materials. Many new tying instructions show man made materials that are durable and float like a cork.

#7 thameriver

thameriver

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

Using bouyant materials also helps, false casting to dry, or chemicals as suggested. I have used moose mane for tail material and it's like a cork - just not very durable. The internet when searched has many very detailed sites for tying instructions and materials. Many new tying instructions show man made materials that are durable and float like a cork.

Thanks for the reaply,

Take care and great fishin'

#8 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

I guess that is my problem for why my dry flies are sinking, I'm using flurocarbon. I'm a lil confused though after reading that for what I need to get for leader line than. and should i switch the leader than for the different flies?

#9 flyfishin22

flyfishin22

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

Well, you can buy the fancy knotless tapered leaders or just buy spools of 15lb, 8lb, and 6lb. Use bloodknots and attach the 15lb to your fly line, then go 8, then depending on the fish you can go down to 6. The main reason for using fluorocarbon is for its' lack of memory and it's super clear in the water. You can then get away with non fluoro for the 15lb. Other than that it really depends on the fish, ive listed below what i usually use.

Salmon - 15lb about 3ft, 10lb about 3ft - 8 lb fluoro 3 feet
Steelies - 15lb " " , 8lb about 3 ft if im in a river or 6ft if im in a creek, 6lb fluoro if really clear river
Trout dry fly fishing - 15lb - 8lb - 6lb - 4lb, the 4lb you can use fluoro for nymphing or non fluoro for dries
Bass - usually just go stright 8lb fluoro, usually the dry flies are pretty big for bass so they wont sink anyways

Also, when you fish dry flies a really deadly technique is to 'skirt' them across riffles. So just kind of hold all the line off the water so the only thing touching is the fly, then drag it across wherever you think fish are. I usually change my leader a lot. Sometimes even between holes. I might be nymphing a faster run with a shorter heavier leader then when i get to a deep slow pool ill throw on a few extra feet of 6lb test.

#10 chuckles

chuckles

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:23 PM

There are alot of good books you might like craig woods fly tying . fly fisheman compleat guide to fishing with fly rod , coles fly tying and shure there ton others bass pro has some decent books on it shure there are some good vidios to

#11 HARRY

HARRY

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

books is a good one, same with clubs and try when you get to a river to just take a seat and watch. i know how that sounds but man it has worked wonders for me. if you just listen and watch you can not only see where the fish rise, you can see what they rise to. i fish the grand by fergus, and was having an infuriating time trying to get any risers to my flies, taking a seat at the edge of the river showed me just where i should be putting my fly, what bugs, and even where the bigger trout lived and rose on a regular basis. just try it then thank me.

#12 Equinox

Equinox

Sunfish

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

A great website I have been watching is presented by an Irishman and master tyer Davie Mcphail

http://www.youtube.c...er/DavieMcPhail
Best site I know of.I buy my material in TO at at Wilson's fly shop.