• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

Hey all, just thought I would make a thread for those to share some fly/jig patterns they are having success on this fall. I am looking to add a few to my arsenal so I figured the best way to do that would be to share first. I was going to post this in the fly fishing category but since I have only float fished with these flies this year I though salmon and steelhead section was more appropriate.

The first pic is the pink marabou jig I have been talking about and have had success using it for salmon. It is tied using fluorescent pink rabbit strips with a bead on the head for weight.

The second pic is a new marabou jig I started tying a few days ago using feathers I found at a fishing store. lead is wrapped around the hook to provide extra weight.

The third pic is a simple egg pattern. Tied using yarn material.

The fourth pic is a nuke fly egg pattern which was probably the most difficult to tie. It was tied using orange uni yarn for the inside of the egg and globugs micro yarn for the outside. Will be deadly for steelhead on gin clear days.

What I am loving the most is being able to add the amount of weight I want to the flies, and all the other customization aspects of fly tying. Not to mention the great reward of catching fish on something you made yourself!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 beef

beef

Sunfish

• Banned
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

hay its beef nice flies i like the nuke fly i have a vice but havent tied flyes in years i will get out my pattern book that a good friend wrote for me he makes flyes for alot of people and tackle shops he lives in BC so i will also call him and get him to send me the recipes for some of his west coast style jigs. good luck and tightlines

#3 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

nice flies its a nice feeling when u catch a fish on something u tied ;-)

#4 keninnf

keninnf

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

Great looking flies, good luck with them.

What size are your hooks?

I was fishing the port the other day now my question is my hooks are too big. #2

Ken

#5 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

Thanks guys.

Marabou jigs are both #4 streamer hooks.

Simple egg pattern - Kamasan # 12 Grubber

Nuke Egg - Kamasan # 14 Sedges

Also forgot to mention I have a little piece of led in the simple nuke egg fly, saw a guy do it in a youtube video and it looked like a good idea..

#6 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

Lol your bench looks like my bench, like a valentines day card, all pink and white hahah. I tie a wicked little stealhead fly, #12 streamer hook, lead wrapped around the shank, about 3/4 inches of pink marabou for the tail with 8 or 10 crystal flash strands mixed in then a white channelle body with crystal flash on the sides. Kinda looks like a small bugger with a bigger body, smaller tail, and a lack of hackle. I'll put up pics once I get photobucket.

#7 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

just use the link tagged under general ontario fishing discussion

#8 jpct

jpct

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:58 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:49 AM

wow it really is all about white on the niagara eh. do you float those jigs or fish em off bottom?

#10 jpct

jpct

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

Float.

Only time I don't use a float is when I'm chucking kwikfish.

There's something magical about watching a float shoot down in 130ft of water, setting the hook and feeling a tank. :)

#11 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

Is it that deep in the whirlpool or do you go to other spots? Ive only been down to niagara glen park for hiking and walked along that stretch taking the odd cast here and there. Never been down to the whirlpool.

#12 jpct

jpct

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

Is it that deep in the whirlpool or do you go to other spots? Ive only been down to niagara glen park for hiking and walked along that stretch taking the odd cast here and there. Never been down to the whirlpool.

Its 500 feet in the middle of the Whirlpool. (So the legend says.. lol)

Down in the Glen, theres a spot that goes to 160 feet, then a nice shelf of 30. Thats where we hammer fish all day long :)

#13 point defiance

point defiance

Sunfish

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

Here's my flies. Marabou's for swinging flies and Nymph, eggs for indicator fishing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 woody77

woody77

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

they look really sweet hoping to get a vice 4 Xmas is there kit you can get to get started on tying steelhead salmon flies :unsure:

#15 point defiance

point defiance

Sunfish

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Maybe theres a kit but all you need is a vice. The rest is simple enough. Marabou feathers n yarn basically. Different color threads n matching hooks. Then just pratice. Lots of great info on how to tie on you tube.

#16 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Its 500 feet in the middle of the Whirlpool. (So the legend says.. lol)

Down in the Glen, theres a spot that goes to 160 feet, then a nice shelf of 30. Thats where we hammer fish all day long :)

*SMILES* I heard that as well (500ft) .... However all the literture (Both US & Canadian Govt states this)

How deep is the water at the Niagara Whirlpool?

The Niagara River reaches depths of 125 ft (38 m) as it passes through the Niagara Whirlpool.

How did the Niagara Whirlpool form?

The Niagara Whirlpool formed nearly 4,200 years ago when the erosion and recession of Niagara Falls, which up to this point was a sluggish process, reached a soft spot in the landscape. Saint David's Buried Gorge was an ancient, pre-glacial river valley filled in with soft glacial silt and stone. When Niagara Falls eroded its way into this hidden gorge, it rapidly began washing away the gorge's soft filling. It is speculated that when the Falls hit the buried gorge, it was just a matter of weeks, perhaps even days of violent erosion while it carved out the Whirlpool basin. It was a swift and powerful geological event considering the Falls had taken nearly 8000 years to get to this point.

Saint David's Buried Gorge ran perpendicular to the current path of the Fall's erosion, and resulted in a 90 degree turn in the river. Just upstream the narrow Niagara Gorge at the Whirlpool rapids sends water jetting into the Whirlpool basin. It hits the solid rock basin across the Whirlpool at Niagara Glen. Thousand of years of these forces has resulted in a dimpling of the basin; giving it an oval shape that juts past the turn in the river.

In what direction does the Niagara Whirlpool flow?

When the Niagara River is at full flow the Whirlpool will flow in a counterclockwise direction. When the river flow drops, usually when more flow is diverted to the power plants, the flow of the whirlpool reverses (clockwise). This usually happens during the tourist off-season (November 1 through April 1).

Just upstream from the Whirlpool is the narrowest section of the Niagara: the Eddy Basin. This pinch in the gorge is not sufficient for the normal flow of the river to pass through, so some of the water is pushed backward. The water at the shore actually flows backward at this location.

What is Devil's Hole?

The Devil's Hole is the name given to a small ravine cut into the American side of the Niagara Gorge by an ancient post-glacial tributary, Bloody Run. The tributary is now virtually developed away, but 12,000 or so years ago is was a much larger torrent into the Niagara Glen. During the events outlined below it was a seasonal creek.

The Hole and stream got their modern names from the Devil's Hole Massacre that occurred her on September 14 1763, during the French and Indian War. A force of 300 to 500 Seneca warriors ambushed a British supply (led by Porter Master John Stedman) convoy and drove them, their wagon, supplies and horses off the cliff here. 102 members of the convoy died, including several civilians. Only a few people escaped, including one drummer boy and John Stedman. When reinforcements arrived they found only 80 bodies in the ravine, and the creek was flowing red with blood.

There is a limestone cave at Devil's Hole, which is commonly thought to be the "Devil's Hole" itself. It's not. Devil's Hole is the ravine, the State Park is the 42 acres surrounding it, and the cave is often referred to as the Cave of Evil Spirits.

See our page on Devil's Hole State Park for more information.

Where are the Niagara River Gorge walls the tallest?

The Niagara River Gorge's massive cliffs reach maximum height at the escarpment itself near Queenston, ON. Here the Gorge walls are nearly 322 ft (98 m) high. The height of cliffs decline as you move further south, eventually reaching their lowest height at Niagara Falls.

#17 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

Here's my flies. Marabou's for swinging flies and Nymph, eggs for indicator fishing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Beautiful Collection!
Lots of passion, pride and hard work!

Kudos...

(This year i'm finally going to start tying my own as well. Makes the catch so much more fullfilling)

#18 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Another Beautiful Collection!

Kudos...

Thank you for sharing

#19 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hey all, just thought I would make a thread for those to share some fly/jig patterns they are having success on this fall. I am looking to add a few to my arsenal so I figured the best way to do that would be to share first. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

I really enjoy seeing the TALENTS of others!
Thank you

#20 point defiance

point defiance

Sunfish

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

Beautiful Collection!

Kudos...

(This year i'm finally going to start tying my own as well. Makes the catch so much more fullfilling)

Thanks Blair, definetly a labor of love. I kinda form a personnel bond with my flies. Sucks when I lose one to a snag. Especially if it caught a few fish on it. Kinda creepy lol. Must be fishin fever.