• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

Lost a large steelie yesterday at Bronte. Water was very clear. It hit my trout bead. I had some cheap #12 hook (which I believe was Gamakatsu) that ended up bending! :mad: Never buying their crap again. I picked up some Reven hooks last night, they seem 10X stronger.

Do you guys have any hook preferences, when it comes to smaller trout hooks?

I like Daiichi

#42 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

Gamakatsu is a wicked brand of hooks, shouldn't of had any issues with them, but raven is also a good brand for sure. If you are pulling that hard on your hook to straighten it out, may I suggest playing the fish a little longer and running lighter leader? It will give you the subconscious feeling your line will break so you'll take your time and play the fish out. I use eagle claw #12s for salmon and they are cheap but I never have an issue cause I take my time :)

#43 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

I like Daiichi

^+1

#44 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:36 PM

raven + daichi :-P

#45 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

Darn.. No pics from today.. Someone must have gone out! <_<:mellow:

:mrgreen:

#46 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

I smell something...........IT'S A SKUNK...........lol. I went over to the Rouge at 1pm. I could'nt be bothered to put my neos on until I know there's fish in there. Well saved myself a hernia, walked the pools and nothing moving. Trekking from hwy 2 to 401 and tossed a few drifts of bead and roe, no fish to be seen. Then at the bridge above hwy 2 I saw what looked like creek chub or maybe baby steelies, bambinos..........lol. Water was gin, deep pools are green. Came home, no point, wait for the rain to come. :unsure:

#47 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

Daiichi or raven, prefer daiichi much stronger never bend unless i'm snagged on a rock. I even used them thsi salmon season not one got bent i prefer the 1520's

#48 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

Gamakatsu is a wicked brand of hooks, shouldn't of had any issues with them, but raven is also a good brand for sure. If you are pulling that hard on your hook to straighten it out, may I suggest playing the fish a little longer and running lighter leader? It will give you the subconscious feeling your line will break so you'll take your time and play the fish out. I use eagle claw #12s for salmon and they are cheap but I never have an issue cause I take my time :)

I have a WHOLE BUNCH of Gamakatsu that i ordered online last year.
4 different sizes

They are the FLORESCENT hooks (The white ones actually glow in the dark)
Great hooks.... However:

Because of the Paint, every time I go to tie one on, have to use another hook or needle to CLEAR the EYE.
In my "old Age" ... even harder to see the hole (Thread through).

I have enough to last me probably 10 more years!
No issues what so ever.

I do still have some Dachi left ... and would certainly say they are one of the BEST HOOKS on the market.
Used to use EAGLE CLAW LAZER hooks with no issues either.

ps:

Its great to see how these threads diversify from "Howd we do today" to conversations on hooks.
Nice to see so many guys wanting to share their experience, opinions and help others.

Thanks!

Why I like this site so much, more than "monotone one word answers".

*SMILES*

#49 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

Darn.. No pics from today.. Someone must have gone out! <_<:mellow:

:mrgreen:

Went out this morning from first till just about 11 am. Got one small steelie on a quick fish out of all things. I also caught one of the biggest chinook I've ever landed. The trib i was fishing was loaded with salmon, I saw at least 20+ swim by me just after the sun came up...odd.

Chrome was in, but were picky and not hitting anything I was throwing at them.

and this.... :huh:

looks like its last snack killed it :shock:

Posted Image

#50 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

Goby a la carte..............lol.

#51 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

My guess is that someone stuffed a goby they caught in its mouth. It could have (probably) eaten that goby.

#52 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

poor little fella bargained to much for lol.

#53 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Went out this morning from first till just about 11 am. Got one small steelie on a quick fish out of all things. I also caught one of the biggest chinook I've ever landed. The trib i was fishing was loaded with salmon, I saw at least 20+ swim by me just after the sun came up...odd.

The back fin of most fish is stiff and sharp. Have seen several fish dead because of the fin of the prey stuck in their throat.

#54 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

I'm impressed how well this topic has done, keep it up guys, I'll let you know how I make out Sunday, I'll be deer hunting the rest of the week!

#55 despotiko

despotiko

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

Wanted to go north but the weather didnt permit so headed to the gorge instead. Enjoyed a beautiful day. Got into some nice fish, did a lot of hiking (more than fishing i think :razz: ). My buddy landed Ms.Piggy and lost what seemed to be a 20ish lb laker!

Here are some pics. Enjoy,

Dimitri

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#56 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

Posted Image

See, eating too much is not good for you and remember to chew your food!

#57 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:02 AM

Wanted to go north but the weather didnt permit so headed to the gorge instead. Enjoyed a beautiful day. Got into some nice fish, did a lot of hiking (more than fishing i think :razz: ). My buddy landed Ms.Piggy and lost what seemed to be a 20ish lb laker!

Dimitri

Awesome shots dude, thanks for sharing :mrgreen:

#58 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

Dimitri

Well done!
Some nice Browns and Bows!

Thanks

#59 carp-lips

carp-lips

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

Went to the Varna hole. . . seen lots in the pool. . . but they were just too picky. was a bit windy though. . had a couple of small takes but that was it. . .gonna enjoy a nice Sunday afternoon nap now oh ya Water clearity was perfect in my books

#60 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

there is this guy who fishes the river closest to me and we all call him five cause he always claims to have caught five fish. my crew is generally hitting as good or better than the other guys around best days this year was a 12 fish day at the willy and a 10 fish day at the big head most days are a grind for one or two maybe i need to fish better rivers lol......75 fish for the year