It sure is an unique and pretty shot.

Thanks

#122 Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost

Sunfish

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Here's a good trout primer that shows the difference some water flow can make on your success rates. Watch the hydro charts and once you learn the magic signs you can locate fish. Had Friday off but there was not much evidence of good flow except for the Credit River. So rather than go to the Huron rivers, my favorites I started at Credit -Erindale with two steelies on - one leader touch and one break off. Fishing 3 lb test makes landings difficult in the boulder section. Worked the Bronte next for at least a couple of hours and never turned a fish. Skipped to the Grand River, never worked it for trout before and so it was a chance but I hooked another bow and managed to pull in a steelie. I planned to also hit Big Creek but the days are getting too short.

Fished again on Sunday - starting on the Grand River. Needed to explore the river a bit more, after the first time. It was raining steady and only saw a total of 3 fish all morning. I walked alot and tried to understand how to pattern the fishing but couldn't manage a single hit. Around noon I headed to Big Creek. There was good flow and as always very murky water. Went 4 for 6 in pouring rain and found some new holes. Big Creek is littered with trees and low tree cover and it is a big disadvantage to carry a 15' rod, keep this in mind if you plan to fish here. Steep banks, minimum access and lots of snags but....the price you pay for good steelheads.

Booked off Tuesday to capitalize on the rainfall and this time I headed up to Huron. Started at Nine Mile because I figured Maitland would be blown out. The Nine Mile was pooched. I did a quick check - nobody was at the bridge and the water was chocolate. Quick run to the Maitland and the water looked up but not chocolate. What I found was the most unbelieveable day I have ever had on the Maitland River. From 8:30 until 4:30 you could have been a blind man with a broom stick fishing with rope and you would have caught fish. I personally hooked more than 75 steelies and landed over 30 fish - averaging around 8-9lbs. There were only 5 people fishing in the spot and evryone had over 30 fish on. Did not matter what bait and you only needed to cast into the seams or tails to have a hook up. I have fished the Maitland River for over 30 years and have many double digit days but nothiong nearly as sick as the river on Tuesday.

There are many posts about hot spots and baits on this site but the most critical factor for successful fall fishing is, in my mind, water flow. Fresh water brings fish and these fish will be very active as the river both rises and falls. Active agressive fish require less finesse and are easy to detect bites. Once the rivers return to normal the fish move into holding pools and you need to work to find active and agressive fish or to entice holding fish to bite. If you are a newbie this means that your chances of getting a few wins will increase if you can select the most productive days based on water flow.

#123 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Nice fish Float!
Glad too see you had a good outing.

All sweeties... arent they?

More to come

A lot of smaller fish, I got three or four photos with my friends camera of some bigger ones and a video of fighting "the big one" of the day which was probably only six or seven. They were full of energy, very finicky, and breaking two pound like... Well a steelhead breaks 2 pound lol.

#124 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

And very well said ghost.

#125 Luke

Luke

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

Good tip indeed. I'm still trying to perfect my presentation (and patience) fishing for the clear water steel, being 6'6 and 260 lbs stealth is unfortunately not in my vocabulary .

These days I watch for the rain and head out when the water is pea coloured, I have landed almost 100 % of my steel this fall in pea coloured water on the small tribs. Here's one from this weekend.

nov 27.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality, the blackberry doesnt work well in a downpour :)

#126 piju

piju

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:00 AM

Here's a good trout primer that shows the difference some water flow can make on your success rates. Watch the hydro charts and once you learn the magic signs you can locate fish. Had Friday off but there was not much evidence of good flow except for the Credit River. So rather than go to the Huron rivers, my favorites I started at Credit -Erindale with two steelies on - one leader touch and one break off. Fishing 3 lb test makes landings difficult in the boulder section. Worked the Bronte next for at least a couple of hours and never turned a fish. Skipped to the Grand River, never worked it for trout before and so it was a chance but I hooked another bow and managed to pull in a steelie. I planned to also hit Big Creek but the days are getting too short.

Fished again on Sunday - starting on the Grand River. Needed to explore the river a bit more, after the first time. It was raining steady and only saw a total of 3 fish all morning. I walked alot and tried to understand how to pattern the fishing but couldn't manage a single hit. Around noon I headed to Big Creek. There was good flow and as always very murky water. Went 4 for 6 in pouring rain and found some new holes. Big Creek is littered with trees and low tree cover and it is a big disadvantage to carry a 15' rod, keep this in mind if you plan to fish here. Steep banks, minimum access and lots of snags but....the price you pay for good steelheads.

Booked off Tuesday to capitalize on the rainfall and this time I headed up to Huron. Started at Nine Mile because I figured Maitland would be blown out. The Nine Mile was pooched. I did a quick check - nobody was at the bridge and the water was chocolate. Quick run to the Maitland and the water looked up but not chocolate. What I found was the most unbelieveable day I have ever had on the Maitland River. From 8:30 until 4:30 you could have been a blind man with a broom stick fishing with rope and you would have caught fish. I personally hooked more than 75 steelies and landed over 30 fish - averaging around 8-9lbs. There were only 5 people fishing in the spot and evryone had over 30 fish on. Did not matter what bait and you only needed to cast into the seams or tails to have a hook up. I have fished the Maitland River for over 30 years and have many double digit days but nothiong nearly as sick as the river on Tuesday.

There are many posts about hot spots and baits on this site but the most critical factor for successful fall fishing is, in my mind, water flow. Fresh water brings fish and these fish will be very active as the river both rises and falls. Active agressive fish require less finesse and are easy to detect bites. Once the rivers return to normal the fish move into holding pools and you need to work to find active and agressive fish or to entice holding fish to bite. If you are a newbie this means that your chances of getting a few wins will increase if you can select the most productive days based on water flow.

thanks for the great info, glad you had an awesome day

#127 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

Great info Greyghost. It certainly shows that being flexible is key.

#128 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

awsome info Ghost good information for new guys just gettin into steelhead. Any pics sound like u had a blast lol

#129 Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost

Sunfish

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

No photos. Were you out on Tuesday? It rained heavily all day. The Maitland River started rising around noon and did not stop. By the time I was done fishing there was not a dry spot left on my whole body. 8 hours in the rain. Left both my camera and cell phone in the car.
The river is now totally bent with volume one meter higher than it was when I started fishing. There will be lots of fish in the rivers but most of the charts show unbelievable river volumes. Watch your step on the rivers this weekend.