VIP section

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

just throwing in the idea of having a new section, what do you guys think?

new section that is accessible to vip members only.

what is in the section: detailed reports, any secrets that members are willing to share.

how to become a vip member: post a introduction video followed by report with pictures.

in video:
briefly introduce yourself
tell us where you are what are you fishing for
mention off board and your nickname

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Fantastic idea!

#3 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

The issues I see with this:

1) You may not want to be known to a large group for personal reasons. Say if you want to call in sick at work and then post pictures of you fishing the very same day. You do not have to of course, but being known puts lot of limitations on what you may want to post

2) the VIP has friends and they have their own friends, and the chain continues. I bet in no time nothing posted there will be their secret. You can limit the access on OFF to only VIP, but out there there is no limit on that.

#4 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

1) You may not want to be known to a large group for personal reasons. Say if you want to call in sick at work and then post pictures of you fishing the very same day. You do not have to of course, but being known puts lot of limitations on what you may want to post

It's your decision if you want access or not, you could still post reports in public forums. To get valuable information that would be in that section you would have to contribute, and at the end of the day it's not for everyone. oh ... and you are not doing live show, so reports don't need to have watermark dates.

2) the VIP has friends and they have their own friends, and the chain continues. I bet in no time nothing posted there will be their secret. You can limit the access on OFF to only VIP, but out there there is no limit on that.

Thats exactly the point. Limit the access of the info to the non-contributing members. Most of the info you can find online anyway, in this section, lots of info would be a click away.

#5 despotiko

despotiko

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

Sick and tired of seeing details being posted on small tribs, this way we know everyone whos accsessing this info. Very good idea.

#6 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

Fantastic idea!

x2

#7 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

I like the VIP idea, just not the video part. I usually laugh at people talking to a camera on youtube...I dont want to become one of them. lol

#8 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

It's your decision if you want access or not, you could still post reports in public forums. To get valuable information that would be in that section you would have to contribute, and at the end of the day it's not for everyone. oh ... and you are not doing live show, so reports don't need to have watermark dates.

Thats exactly the point. Limit the access of the info to the non-contributing members. Most of the info you can find online anyway, in this section, lots of info would be a click away.

OH God ... just saw this!

"Despotiko" is right about the TROLLS and "Security issue" of wanting to protect the smaller tribs and pressure.
Lets face it, I think we all have that "ITS OURS FEELING" of ownership - only natural if you have seen the GOOD - BAD - and UGLY!

"Getin" makes some valid points that I also agree with: The whole term VIP does bring to mind: ELITISM and to a degree a certain type of CAST SYSTEM.
Not saying that GOOD CONTRIBUTORS dont deserve a more private access forum - they do! but ... I (personsonally) cant stand the possible bad side that it "MAY" create.

I'm in a stalemate on this one.

The "math" says: KEEP the TROLLS OUT! and it also has shown me that for every TROLL there are ALSO (100's) of decent fishermen (Newbies or not) Who may not neccessarily post .. but who learn many wonderful things on the PUBLIC FORUMS, and if they use that info to HELP bring their children into the world of Sport Fishing - its worth A MILLION DOLLARS!

*SMILES*

I'm gonna keep on using the PUBLIC FORUM for now, and see how things are working out.
(YAH, gonna make a little video and most likely get submitted to VIP - I tell you now that its going to be DARK! *SMILES* night fishing)

What ever everyones choices are ... it is just another option offered by this FINE FORUM!
Use it wisely, and be respectful of others.

Efka ... ever thought of creating a TROLL SECTION? *SMILES* maybe some of the "Banned people" could have their way on it!
be fun to pop in every now and then and see how the "other side" works.

#9 mikeh

mikeh

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

I think I would probably pass on this as I rarely take photos, never mind video. :rolleyes:

#10 Meanderer

Meanderer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

I think I would probably pass on this as I rarely take photos, never mind video. :rolleyes:

Well said Mike. Before too long, the OFF will become the OPF - Ontario Photography Forum.

#11 mikeh

mikeh

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

I mostly fish urban sites and probably walked 100km+ last summer scouting hotspots and seasonal patterns across the harbourfont and surrounding areas.
Anyone interested in "where and what" is more than welcome to tag along next year.

#12 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Well said Mike. Before too long, the OFF will become the OPF - Ontario Photography Forum.

Whats wrong with that? You dont like seeing pictures of fish??

#13 Meanderer

Meanderer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

Whats wrong with that? You dont like seeing pictures of fish??

It is wrong if it becomes a prerequisite for participation as proposed in the VIP.

You do not have to be a photographer to be a fisherman.

#14 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

I think that a VIP section is designed for the anglers that don't know where to fish and want to tap the knowledge of other anglers. Hot rivers and secluded spots should never be shared on any forum. Photos should never show backgrounds that others may recognize. There used to be a reports section in this forum and it was thrown out ,likely for the reasons stated.

#15 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Sounds like some sort of gimmick to me. Let me play devil's advocate - if those that belong are VIPs, where does that leave the rest of us? peons?

#16 Guest_RiverNinja_*

Guest_RiverNinja_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

Great idea.. but execution will be a tough one..
I will say that the idea of having to post up a video is discouraging.. -what about those of us who don't have video camera's? ( I know I know.. everyone has a smart phone, :razz: )

I will be the first to admit that I have no problem with teaching a man how to fish, but I won't want to lead him to most or all of "my" waters.. LoL :grin:

Still a good idea, if you could somehow keep the criteria high enough to keep the trolls dis-interested.

-Rn

#17 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

seems like this topic has started to go different direction... let me be more specific

video and detailed report with pictures is the key report that gets you access. after that you can report with or without pictures, you can give advice or just ask questions.

it's just a way to protect valuable information on these forums from trolls and banned users who come with different names

remember the old forum; you post a proper report, you get access to that area only

this will be similar idea as it used to be when this forum started just with a different touch.

#18 Mykester

Mykester

Perch

• Active Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

What if we already posted a report on the old site and had access to the reports section?

#19 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

What if we already posted a report on the old site and had access to the reports section?

some members would be grandfathered the access, as long they posted proper reports or reached whatever number of posts, sounds fair?

#20 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

I personally liked the previous "reports" section , UNTIL I saw how a good fishing spot can be ruined in a few weeks (in any aspect: fishing, cleanliness, etc) after I took someone there and then he took his friends, and so on. So in general I disagree with posting specific locations on internet. How did people fish before the WEB age?

In addition to that, exploration, discovery, and anticipation are all part of a good fishing day. Can you compare the joy of taking a fish out of a hole you discovered on your own and afte hours of search with just going to somewhere you found on the web?

Lastly, and more importantly,
I was speaking with a friend about this and he mentioned that in a forum in the US, someone took the whole "VIP" or "Restricted access" posts and published that in a blog, revealing everything that was ever posted in that section. I know it might not happen, but it very well may! How do you ensure that one of the banned members would not do that?

For these reasons, I am going to pass on this