• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Waterboy

Waterboy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

I am looking to go up to the Bay of Quinte Big bay sometime this winter for ice fishing, for walleye. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best time to go this winter and some good ice hut operators.
Thanks
Ocean

#2 m_van

m_van

Sunfish

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:02 AM

Usually, I go up there around first week of feb. Find a spot about 100fow for better catch. Don't know of aany hut operators. I bring my sled and hut along.

#3 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

I'm watching FishTV, they're ice fishing Quinte no exact location given. Fishing with a local operator on a point-drop off of only 27'. Lots of big walleyes. Check online or your tv listings, usually repeats during the week.

#4 Waterboy

Waterboy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

I'm watching FishTV, they're ice fishing Quinte no exact location given. Fishing with a local operator on a point-drop off of only 27'. Lots of big walleyes. Check online or your tv listings, usually repeats during the week.

Thanks

#5 Esoxtrout

Esoxtrout

Sunfish

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Hey Waterboy

I've heard of an operator/guiding service called G2 Angling unfortunatly their website is under construction http://www.g2angling.com/ They also have a Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/G2Angling

Bob Izumi had them on his show that aired recently and they were pulling out some beauty Walleyes.

Good Luck

#6 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

I had that show taped. Great episode an yeah you see what they were using for bait or lures.

#7 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:11 AM

I had that show taped. Great episode an yeah you see what they were using for bait or lures.

Be great to catch just one of those monsters, and a couple of smaller eating size ones too. I never tried white or lakers, are the lakers safe to eat?

#8 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

lakers like most trout species are apex predators....smallers fish ok to eat but large ones will be ful of whatever toxins the lake you are fishing has in it.

#9 Waterboy

Waterboy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

lakers like most trout species are apex predators....smallers fish ok to eat but large ones will be ful of whatever toxins the lake you are fishing has in it.

What would be best to use for walleye ice fishing?

#10 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

When does the bay freeze up so it's safe to walk and drive on? Some of the guys here plan to go to Simcoe, I'll try it there but would really like to nail a 20 lb walleye from Quinte.

#11 eyehunter

eyehunter

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

I live in Bowmanville and get out to quinte 3-4 times a season. Early ice seems to be best. No need to find 100 fow, just find an access point and go to the people. I have not driven a machine on the ice out there in about 10 years. Way to unpredictable, last season walked out drilled a hole and had 8 inches walked 20 feet and drilled another and had 3 inches!!!!!!!!! slowly walked backwards and sat on the 8 inches lol.

G2 has closed up shop.

#12 Waterboy

Waterboy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Went Ice fishing this past weekend for sat and sun on the bay of quinte and the fishing was pretty bad. We caught no walleye, and out of the eight guys that went, we only came away with 28 perch in those two days. Apparently the locals had said it was the worst year they have experienced so far.