77 replies to this topic

#1 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

OK, maybe I should post this in the 'insanity' sub-forum, but here goes anyway:

I understand the need to not post 'hot spots' aka 'honey holes' and maybe the stream itself in most cases, but I don't see any big deal about posting pix with the backgrounds in focus? Anybody who recognizes a bakground must have been at that location once and, in all likellihood, more than one unless they have a really good memory. So you're not really revealing any secrets. How likely is it that fishermen will go back immediately again just based on pix that someone has posted? I don't think most experienced fishermen would go chasing the fish that someone else caught.

#2 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

I think it's more of the concern of lurkers going through picking up info, seeing the pics and going to find that exact spot. I don't see the big concern either, i would have loved to put up some of my videos from the weekend but hesitated do to the fear of being heckled by the river snobs. Even if someone went to find the same spots we were fishing they would have found themselves in a world of hell trying to get to it. Haha.

#3 piju

piju

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

:grin:

#4 CJR

CJR

#RNS

• Active Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

That's a very good point....in order for an angler to recognize a background that means that he or she already knows the spot and if he/she is conservation minded then no problem, what happens when a non conservation minded angler recognizes the spot and tells 12 of his like minded buddies that the fish are running at such and such a place? I think that this is the issue and the result of this situation might very well be an over fished section of river that might also become very littered.

This. ;)

#5 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

what happens when a non conservation minded angler recognizes the spot and tells 12 of his like minded buddies that the fish are running at such and such a place?

I think there's some merit in what you say, but do you really think many people would tell 12 friends? Wouldn't they just tell the 1 or 2 guys they intend to go with?

Here's my experience: I live on a well known spot on the Notty. When fishing is good there are lots of folks here fishing, and when it's not, the're not. There is either a very good grapevine or the fishermen know from experience when to come. It's NOT because someone posted pix on here or another board.

#6 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

I remember when I made a comment about Bronte at the beginning of the season and someone said "thanks Nado now 50 people will be lined up along the peer tomorrow". LOL like people dont know about peer fishing at Bronte, its extremely packed all season long. Not because of the boards, but because of the hundreds of thousands of people that live within a 10 minute drive.

#7 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

My take on it is that it's a far from perfect and necessary practice.

Every time you use your turn signal, are you averting an accident? No. But if everyone stopped using their turning signals, chaos would ensue.

Every time you blur your photos, are you rescuing that particular spot from throngs of anglers who would otherwise not have fished there? No.

So it's more about what is good protocol. The best policy seems to be to blur out your backgrounds, especially where they reveal sensitive locations. Keeps everyone happy.

#8 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

I remember when I made a comment about Bronte at the beginning of the season and someone said "thanks Nado now 50 people will be lined up along the peer tomorrow". LOL like people dont know about peer fishing at Bronte, its extremely packed all season long. Not because of the boards, but because of the hundreds of thousands of people that live within a 10 minute drive.

YUP YUP YUP

#9 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:23 AM

Posting a picture for anything other than a specific reason (species identification, unusual marks or deformities, ect...) is all about bragging - feeding your ego. Look how BIG my fish is! Then there are some that will do this to be socially accepted into an online community. In any case, when you post a picture, you cross a line (public display on the internet) inviting all kinds of responses, one of those being a deluge of anglers descending on your favorite spot. If you don't want to risk the opportunity, don't post the picture. Period. Personally, I couldn't care less if someone decided to try and catch fish where I've been successful. Our local angling opportunities face much bigger threats than a few hooligans with bad manners.

#10 piju

piju

Sunfish

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

:cool:

#11 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hooligans with bad manners - hilarious. lol...Im not sure I agree with the bragging part though. I look forward to seeing pics of steelhead on the forum as well as bass, pike and so on. If people were scared to be viewed as egotistical because they posted pics on the forum than I think it would be a loss for all. The backgrounds add to the beauty of the pics too, a picture of a nice steelhead with a sloppy white background doesnt really do anything for me.

#12 NOTTA STEELER

NOTTA STEELER

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hooligans with bad manners - hilarious. lol...Im not sure I agree with the bragging part though. I look forward to seeing pics of steelhead on the forum as well as bass, pike and so on. If people were scared to be viewed as egotistical because they posted pics on the forum than I think it would be a loss for all. The backgrounds add to the beauty of the pics too, a picture of a nice steelhead with a sloppy white background doesnt really do anything for me.

I'm with you NADO , there are some out there that feel a need to brag maybe. I post a picture of the steelhead I catch so everyone on the forum can appreciate what beautiful fish they are . I'm far past bragging stages in my life and like you , I want to see members feel free to post picks without being - PICKED APART . Scenery goes along way too , I have also sent in picks of the river its self , whether it be the Notty or another river . Some may never get to explore the winding Notty as I do , so why not let others see what you love so much ?

#13 NOTTA STEELER

NOTTA STEELER

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

A smudged out background isn't nice for viewing a pic , simply observe your surroundings when when taking the pic and make sure there's a common background behind you or simply crop the pic to include only the fish , simple.

#14 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

There would have been 50 people or 100 anyway. Bronte pier is no secret.
Someone gave up that secret long before the internet. OK I admit it, it was me. I told a friend in 1979 and he told a friend, who told a friend and the whole thing just got out of hand. So much for my secret fishing spot on the pier. I take all the blame. I wasn't even particularly targeting Salmon or Trout, any fish would have been fine with me.
It's all me, my bad. ROTFL.

Alfie.

#15 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

As I have stated before I have never posted a pic on any forum, I know what I caught and don't need to boast.
Go to your local dirty creek that is downtown in your area and has no chrome or Salmon and take a pic. Use that as your background. I can't wait to see guys fishing Fletchers Creek in Brampton for Trout when there are only Creek Chubb. Fool them all, the lurkers that is. Post pics of you holding a 10 lb Steelie, where no Steelies run.

Alfie.

#16 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

Post pics of you holding a 10 lb Steelie, where no Steelies run.

Ive noticed a few members on this forum acting in similar deceptive ways, sure it will fool the lurkers but it will also fool new anglers looking to get into steelheading. Hey you might even fool me if you post a pic with you and a steelie on a river that ive never fished before :oops: ...It wasnt all that long ago that I didnt have a clue how or where to catch steelhead so I can relate to how that feels, all the guys with pin reels on bronte giving me dirty looks when I accidentally snagged a salmon with a spinner. Now that I am a pin fisherman I try to remember those days when I didnt have a clue before jumping on a new angler for doing something wrong.

#17 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

My take on it is that it's a far from perfect and necessary practice.

Every time you use your turn signal, are you averting an accident? No. But if everyone stopped using their turning signals, chaos would ensue.

Every time you blur your photos, are you rescuing that particular spot from throngs of anglers who would otherwise not have fished there? No.

So it's more about what is good protocol. The best policy seems to be to blur out your backgrounds, especially where they reveal sensitive locations. Keeps everyone happy.

I have had people pack a hole because of a photo posted and I have seen people swarm a river because of a post saying the river is "hot" Both times when talking to the many guys next to me they admitted to reading about the fishing or seeing the spot in a picture. Ever since then I never post pics with a background, well unless I wont be there the next few days.....lol :wink:
It's better for the fish and your spot if you just get a shot of the fish laying in the water by shore and in my opinion it's a way nicer shot lol

Speaking of background shots, here's one for you. Anyone know were this is. Notta Steeler this ones for you
Posted Image

#18 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

Posting a picture for anything other than a specific reason (species identification, unusual marks or deformities, ect...) is all about bragging - feeding your ego. Look how BIG my fish is! Then there are some that will do this to be socially accepted into an online community. In any case, when you post a picture, you cross a line (public display on the internet) inviting all kinds of responses, one of those being a deluge of anglers descending on your favorite spot. If you don't want to risk the opportunity, don't post the picture. Period. Personally, I couldn't care less if someone decided to try and catch fish where I've been successful. Our local angling opportunities face much bigger threats than a few hooligans with bad manners.

What on Earth did I just read?

Sharing photographs goes way beyond fishing. There are so many sports and hobbies that involve sharing photos and videos. You just insulted millions of people. Not just professional photographers and movie directors, but anyone who has shared photos of their first fish, their new PB, a snowboard trick, a mountain bike jump, the list goes on and on and on.

How could you possibly think that posting a picture is "all about bragging"??? Do you have any heart at all? I don't just strongly disagree with you, I completely disagree with you.

Even if the most self centered, cynical person on the planet caught a fish and shared a pic of it on a forum, he could not help but feel some joy from sharing his catch and connecting with other anglers.

There is so much to sharing pics on a forum. For some posters, these pics are a beautiful art form in and of themselves, and you have doubly insulted them. The beauty of the catch, the beauty of our Earth, the river, the trees, the colour of the water, perhaps fresh snow blanketing the river banks.

Many of us on this forum are friends in real life. When we share photos on this site, we are sharing them with perhaps a dozen or more friends in one post. We are also sharing them with those we have not yet met. Even if every person on this forum was a stranger, it would still be insane if nobody shared pics.

First of all, just seeing a pic of a fish is fun, regardless of where it was caught, when it was caught and by whom. This forum allows us the opportunity to see recent local catches by friends and perhaps soon to be friends. Have you zero empathy not to see a purpose behind this, beyond "bragging"? We don't all get out everyday. For the days we missed, it's fantastic to have friends to share the day's adventure.

Would you ever go see a movie, or do you just consider it to be "bragging" by all of the writers, directors and actors? Do you listen to music, or is Mick Jagger just "feeding his ego" on stage? Would you read a riveting novel, or is the author just "showing off" their literary skills?

Would you even read a fishing report? Or is the author just "showing off"?

I just can't believe anybody in this Universe would make such a post, let alone someone who belongs to a fishing forum!

#19 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

I have had people pack a hole because of a photo posted and I have seen people swarm a river because of a post saying the river is "hot" Both times when talking to the many guys next to me they admitted to reading about the fishing or seeing the spot in a picture. Ever since then I never post pics with a background, well unless I wont be there the next few days.....lol :wink:
It's better for the fish and your spot if you just get a shot of the fish laying in the water by shore and in my opinion it's a way nicer shot lol

Speaking of background shots, here's one for you. Anyone know were this is. Notta Steeler this ones for you
Posted Image

Gorgeous shot!

Recently, I have blurred many of my photos, because they were taken at spots that I felt were susceptible to drawing "online lurker" traffic. I agree that a pic of the fish in the water is a good way to go for most situations. Best for the fish too.

#20 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

I met a fisherman this summer who encouraged me to join a bass tournament. He was very knowledgeable of the local area, and he told me with an immense sense of pride that both he and one of his family members had won this tournament in prior years. He told me his name and where to look up the results history online. I shared in his positive experience of winning the tournament and we talked fishing for a good half hour that day. No, he was not trying to sell me a bumper sticker with his name on it, he was sharing his passion.