4 replies to this topic

#1 racer222

racer222

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

Hey guys,
I moved to Peterborough last winter and I don't really have any fishing buddies out this way. What is common practice for determining ice conditions? Do i drill a hole close to shore and then a keep moving my way out ect. ect.? In the past I have always been out later in the season with friends who knew what was going on.

I was at Sail on Monday and one of the guys working there said he had heard that people had already been out on Chemong. Anyone in the area know what kind of Ice conditions we are dealing with? I also see that we have some cooler weather coming this week and wanted to know if they saw it being safe this coming weekend for my first trip out on the ice this year?

Thanks guys,
John

#2 LICENSETOPIN

LICENSETOPIN

Skrilla Skrilla

• Active Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

I love getting on the first ice! last year we slammed some slabs because no one else had gone out yet. I start off by looking at the ice, obv if it doesnt look safe then dont even bother... If it looks okay I start off by tossing rocks, if none of the rocks break through I start walking out with a piece of re bar, hitting the ice checking for thickness every foot or so. That being said im sure it helps my case that im a small asian guy hahah :twisted: gotta put them ninja feet to good use ya know.

#3 Luke

Luke

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

Check the local fishing message boards, do a google search.

A few of them were warning of dangerous ice conditions up until early this week. L2P's way may be ok for him. but if youre closer to 260 like me I'd wait a little longer. Ice fishing is popular up there, so once you start seeing lots of guys out on it then you will know its safe, I'm sure theyre all itching to get out on it with this delayed season and unseasonably warm weather we've had.

#4 racer222

racer222

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

Check the local fishing message boards, do a google search.

A few of them were warning of dangerous ice conditions up until early this week. L2P's way may be ok for him. but if youre closer to 260 like me I'd wait a little longer. Ice fishing is popular up there, so once you start seeing lots of guys out on it then you will know its safe, I'm sure theyre all itching to get out on it with this delayed season and unseasonably warm weather we've had.

Thanks guys! I called BJ tackle on the east side of Rice lake today and they said that when they checked it last week, they had about 2 and half inches of okay ice. They also said that maybe with this colder weather this week that things could start happening as soon as this weekend. But I don't mind waiting another week if I have to :( My life is worth a little more then a few tasty fish. (most days)

As for the local message boards, on this site? Sorry this kind of stuff is new to me.

John

#5 Luke

Luke

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

This one and the few other ontario specific boards, thats why I suggested a google search, its kind of hit and miss for finding the right information so searching multiple boards at once is worthwhile. Talking to local tackle shops as you did is probably an even better bet, at least for ice conditions.