• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

So....enough with steelheading I thought to myself the otherday even after getting reports of some boom dig fishing up this way, smashed them up good the last couple times in fridgid temps and wanted to check the ice conditions around muskoka and kawarthas. I walked onto three lakes and all were locked up in varying degrees of "safe" ice the thinest being 2 inches but very solid clear ice the thickest being 6 inches but slushy compact ice. hamered out some slab crappies on jigs and set lining in 30 FOW.

#2 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:32 AM

Great catches. Man you be drivin all over the place, Kawarthas then Muskoka? Thanks for the report.

#3 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

i am pretty fortunate to live where i do the job market sucks but were close to the fish.......45 minutes into kawarthas or muskoka, a hour to 401 east or 26 west......15 minutes and im digging holes on couchiching or simcoe.

#4 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

Love to see the Variety!

Thanks

#5 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

So....enough with steelheading I thought to myself the otherday even after getting reports of some boom dig fishing up this way, smashed them up good the last couple times in fridgid temps and wanted to check the ice conditions around muskoka and kawarthas. I walked onto three lakes and all were locked up in varying degrees of "safe" ice the thinest being 2 inches but very solid clear ice the thickest being 6 inches but slushy compact ice. hamered out some slab crappies on jigs and set lining in 30 FOW.

thanks for the great info looking to get out soon

#6 walleyepro1

walleyepro1

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:39 PM

Awesome job gotts love those crappie still waiting for ic down this way.

#7 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

I like fishing them incedental walleyes can happen too

#8 racer222

racer222

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

As for ice in the Kawarthas....I was out on Rice Lake on Monday and it had between 4 and 7 inches of ice. That was only on the west side of the lake in Bewdley, not sure of the conditions on the rest of the lake. I didn't stay out for long it was more a trip to check the ice conditions for myself, but caught a few perch only mintues after dropping in my line. I also went for a drive Saturday morning and passed over Chemong lake, I couldn't see any open water from the cosway. If any of you guys start getting into the fish on the Kawarthas, please let me/us know and in return I will do the same!

#9 Angler

Angler

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

Sweet post!
I'm pumped to get on the ice.
I'm heading up to Bancroft for a few days next week!
Thanks for the update.

#10 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

i am going to try the fly reel on my 32" medium action rod for crappie and see how i like it, how did you come across that idea?

#11 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

thanks for the great info looking to get out soon

what lbs test line do you use?

#12 RedCat

RedCat

Sunfish

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

Great post, looks like some decent action. You guys have more snow than us to the west. Heck it was +7 here today.

#13 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Six pound XT clear

#14 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

Hey GB Brother:

Nice mess of Crappies, but I gotta tell ya you are one sick dude man (IT LOOKS COLD OUT THERE). And how do you measure ice safety.............

No no don't tell me--keep walking until you fall through the ice right??????????
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#15 jayazoomy

jayazoomy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

hey i was muskoka and there r people fishing on gull lake for ranbows and lakers and white fish heading there this weekend to give it a try

#16 19darrin

19darrin

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hey GB Brother:

Nice mess of Crappies, but I gotta tell ya you are one sick dude man (IT LOOKS COLD OUT THERE). And how do you measure ice safety.............

No no don't tell me--keep walking until you fall through the ice right??????????
:lol: :lol: :lol:

well ussually people use chizelz ....

#17 efka

efka

• Active Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

hey i was muskoka and there r people fishing on gull lake for ranbows and lakers and white fish heading there this weekend to give it a try

good luck and let us know how it goes.

#18 jayazoomy

jayazoomy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

went out to gull lake 4-6 inches everywhere but did not even mark a fish lol but im sure any lake north of that is almost ready any good laketrout lakes between gravenhurst and parrysound dont need spots just some lake names