• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jayazoomy

jayazoomy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

went out to simcoe to day and landed 2 lakers and one white fish lost four not a bad first day

#2 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

you found safe ice????? it must be in the south , north shore still has waves crashing the beach.

#3 diggyj

diggyj

Rice Lake Master

• Active Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

Nicely done.

Dirk

#4 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:15 AM

went out to simcoe to day and landed 2 lakers and one white fish lost four not a bad first day

What where the fish hitting an what setup?

#5 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

first day out ...three inches of ice....3 lakers 3 herring....todays fishing brought to you by the number 3

#6 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

3 inches and more positive temps on the way...

#7 despotiko

despotiko

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:59 AM

Was out at VB ice has been good 8-10 all over. Seen guys driving out to georgina too, mind you this was a few days ago. Was a pretty slow day for everyone from what we heard, we must have cleared them out for everyone :evil: . Most huts were sitting in the deepest water available, i decided to drill outside the crowd in shallower water 6-8fow. Took 35 home smallest was 10", biggests broke the 15" mark! Seemed like the jumbos were cruising the shallows and my god were they hungry. Using an aggressive set up, we scared the dinks away, but the jumbos were just smashing it. I suggest waiting for the temps to drop, its been pretty wet and slushy out there. As for whities and lakers, Kemp has been producing but i wouldnt trust the ice yet, unless you really know the area. Heres a a couple pics to get your mojos going, these guys were delicious ;)

Tightlines,
Dimitri

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 jayazoomy

jayazoomy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

]i was on kempenfelt bay 0nly 3.5 in of ice do not go out there unless u know it well cooks bay is where they are geting all the perch u will see the huts ice is pritty safe there. Here is a pick of the 13 pound laker i got on fri DSCF0555.JPG

#9 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

nice jumbos Despotiko.......gotta love that clear black ice.........great laker jayazoomi........heading back out today, might try the perch bite my smoker is already loaded.

#10 jayazoomy

jayazoomy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

ya i wanted to let him go did not know it was so big i do all catch and release i only had a 4 inch hole damaged him geting him on the ice super shame he was gorgeous

#11 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

fish seem bigger towards barrie usually fish further north but its all open

#12 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hey jay where did you get the laker. Send me a private message pls. Town is fine

#13 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

I googled it. Didn't noticed you posted it. Is there still ice there? What did you get it on?

#14 aznsynaster3lg

aznsynaster3lg

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

is it safe to go out on the ice there all my local spots melted

#15 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

Ice is six inches around barrie.....Lots of pressure on the fish now was hard to find parking over the weekend

#16 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

Ya to my surprise it was safe, there are ponds around here that arent even frozen over. I was completely unprepared, luckily I was able to get some minnows and heavy weights from Gbay. Didnt get any but next time I will be more prepared, learned a few lessons about fishing in deep water. Here is Gbays.

Posted Image

#17 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Dont feel down on simcoe because of one trip NADO. It took me years to learn how to get them....its all about making them chase the bait...finally got my first whitie yestreday.

#18 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

Ive got all my rods rigged up with enough line to get down to the bottom now so next time I will have a much better chance. Moving into the new place tomorrow though so I dont see a next time happening in the very near future lol. Thanks for the lesson though, how big was your minnow/hook for the whitey?

#19 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

i use 3/4 oz bullet weight w/ a swivel and 4 ft of .20 flourocarbon. hook is a #6 diachi single egg cant remember the size of minnow i actually think it was a river shiner. fish started to chase at 120 fow and got the strike at around 75 fow

#20 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

Hey can someone tell me the size regulations for lakers on simcoe ? Can't find my book or find it on the MNR SITE. I now I wouldn't keep big ones. Just wanna know the smallest I should keep.