• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

Hit the credit today the water was fast flowing and high but thankfully it was not muddy... figured that being the case then it should good fishing to be had..
1hour nothing happening, another 1/2 hr goes by and with the same result, heck did I misread the water condition. Now I was really beginning to wonder maybe I should just pack it up and head home...Posted Image But no I'm determined to prove myself wrong so I head downstream for a go in one of my favourite spots. first drift nothing, five drifts later wham.... fish on, yes now I'm getting somewhere..Posted Image feeling good now, but that was short lived couple head shakes and it was off.. OK no problem at least now I know there in there... Another 20 mins goes by and whamo another one on... OK so now I was going to take it easy an play this baby out...5 min still on....10 min still at it but it looked like I was finally getting the upper handPosted Image crap spoke to soon just before I could beach this baby it took another head shake and pop wet the 3lb leader...Posted ImagePosted Image
Crap...Crap..Crap....
Well needless to say that was the last hookup and after another hour decided I had enough and it time to head home for a hot bath and some hot food...
Well today the steel head got the better of me, but then there's always tomorrow...Posted Image
Already tied up 30 bags and rearing to go...come on morning...hahaha
This is a true story no fish was harmed in the making... to be continued....Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

Nice report, fun and easy to read.

May the steelhead gods answer your prayers, or brown or atlantic for that matter too.

#3 Luke

Luke

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

I've been in that situation with the leader. I was using 4lb 0.18mm and lost a bunch of fish when it got colder. I then switched to a different brand (redwing phantom) 6.6lb and 0.20mm and haven't lost a fish on a break off since. With the water clarity the way it has been on the good days this season I think you're creating an unecessary challenge by using 3lb leader. You'll be happier and the fish will be more likely to survive if you go to 5 or 6 lb lead :)

Goodluck on your next outing.

#4 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

TRINIBOY no need to go so light these fish are not that smart lol. with the river being of color u can easly run an 8lb leader and hook fish. i dont go below 6lb in even gin clear water.

#5 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hey TRINI: well done brother--enough to make Byron Lee jump and shout Posted Image

I may head out there tomorrow, perhaps see you on the water
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Luke

Luke

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Ditto, I always hit it on mondays after work, even if its just 30 minutes before sundown.

If either of you are there dont be afraid to say hi to the tall guy with a D.A.M. jacket.

#7 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

I've been in that situation with the leader. I was using 4lb 0.18mm and lost a bunch of fish when it got colder. I then switched to a different brand (redwing phantom) 6.6lb and 0.20mm and haven't lost a fish on a break off since. With the water clarity the way it has been on the good days this season I think you're creating an unecessary challenge by using 3lb leader. You'll be happier and the fish will be more likely to survive if you go to 5 or 6 lb lead :)

Goodluck on your next outing.

Actually I had 5lb originally and was not getting any bites and my buddy had on 4lb and he was not getting any bitesn either...
That's why I ended up going so light plus the water was really clear so I figured it might just be worth it to go lighter...
Does the redwing phantom come in low visibility? Never tried it before but will definitely look into it on my next trip to LeBaron...

#8 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hey TRINI: well done brother--enough to make Byron Lee jump and shout Posted Image

I may head out there tomorrow, perhaps see you on the water
Posted ImagePosted Image

Hey ChaseChrome
Byron Lee and the Dragonaires ....Hahaha... nice one... long time I have not heard that name...
Went back on Sunday and had my butt handed to me, a big fat skunk...I mean Zero hookups…
Shitty luck man... Dude fishing not even 6ft away was banging them and Ii did not even get a hit... Darn,Darn.. I think they remembered me from Saturday and spread the word...
Anyways going to pull a terminator on them this Saturday "I'll be back" lol

Hit me up if you going and we can hook up for a fishing lime…:mrgreen:

#9 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Ditto, I always hit it on mondays after work, even if its just 30 minutes before sundown.

If either of you are there dont be afraid to say hi to the tall guy with a D.A.M. jacket.

I think i've seen you there before just before the ice breakers one time...

#10 Luke

Luke

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Redwing Phantom is fluorocarbon leader material, as low vis as you get. I havent seen it at lebaron I get my spools at SAIL, I get everything else at Lebaron.

Seagar (sp) flouro is good too I hear. Avoid "berkley vanish" like the plague, its fine in warm weather but sucks in the colder months.

Likely me, other than a few times where I had lots of time and went towards burnhamthorpe I havent had the time to stray far from dundas.

#11 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Hey ChaseChrome
Byron Lee and the Dragonaires ....Hahaha... nice one... long time I have not heard that name...
Went back on Sunday and had my butt handed to me, a big fat skunk...I mean Zero hookups…
Shitty luck man... Dude fishing not even 6ft away was banging them and Ii did not even get a hit... Darn,Darn.. I think they remembered me from Saturday and spread the word...
Anyways going to pull a terminator on them this Saturday "I'll be back" lol

Hit me up if you going and we can hook up for a fishing lime…:mrgreen:

Nothing like the pans brother TRINI
BTW try Drennan 4-6lb leader (tests at twice the manufacturer's strength)
I was there today only long enough for one to shake me free--then had to dee dee...but look forward to sharing some water!

#12 Luke

Luke

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:51 PM

Chase you have a PM.

#13 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

TRINIBOY no need to go so light these fish are not that smart lol. with the river being of color u can easly run an 8lb leader and hook fish. i dont go below 6lb in even gin clear water.

I agree totally!

#14 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Try drennan .18 or sassme .16......tough as nails...i run a shotline of seaguar .20 then add a foot of light stuff attatch with a uni knot

#15 jpct

jpct

Sunfish

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

Why were you using 3lb leader... in February.... In the Credit.........

Thats your problem right there.

You would have had better lucking just throwing your roe bags in the water and hoping the fish will bring it back to you.

#16 TRINIBOY

TRINIBOY

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Why were you using 3lb leader... in February.... In the Credit.........

Thats your problem right there.

You would have had better lucking just throwing your roe bags in the water and hoping the fish will bring it back to you.

I tried that already they weren’t have anything to do with that trick… :lol:

#17 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Don't listen to them man there is nothing wrong with running light leader once you get used to it you'll find it a lot easier. I had a day in the fall where I was smashing steal in a heavily pressured pool, when the angler beside me asked me... "what size bags you running? How deep down are you? What color was that one on? How long of lead you running?" then after a number of fish landed he asked me what I was doing so different and I said I was running 3.3 lbs leader. Then he said "you don't need to do that!" lol. sometimes it pays off. Sometimes there is no need for it.

#18 NOTTA STEELER

NOTTA STEELER

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:54 AM

Don't listen to them man there is nothing wrong with running light leader once you get used to it you'll find it a lot easier. I had a day in the fall where I was smashing steal in a heavily pressured pool, when the angler beside me asked me... "what size bags you running? How deep down are you? What color was that one on? How long of lead you running?" then after a number of fish landed he asked me what I was doing so different and I said I was running 3.3 lbs leader. Then he said "you don't need to do that!" lol. sometimes it pays off. Sometimes there is no need for it.

Float down ... I'm not commenting on your choices with leaders ... simply a statement ... if fluorocarbon line IS invisible to the fish ... then what difference would it make using a heavier pound line ... say a 6-8 lb. leader ...
would it not still be invisible ? Just wondering ...'cause I use for the most part a 6 lb. fluoro leader all the time and the water is usually very clear and we still nail loads of fish .

#19 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Float down ... I'm not commenting on your choices with leaders ... simply a statement ... if fluorocarbon line IS invisible to the fish ... then what difference would it make using a heavier pound line ... say a 6-8 lb. leader ...
would it not still be invisible ? Just wondering ...'cause I use for the most part a 6 lb. fluoro leader all the time and the water is usually very clear and we still nail loads of fish .

One of the main differences between mono and floro is floro doesn't reflect light, I wouldn't say it's completely invisible to the fish, I can see it fine under water. I guess my point of view comes from a very popular spot on GB where you can literally have 100 fish days if you know what you're doing there. There's always lots of guys there but not everyone catches fish, I run 6-8 feet of 2 pound lead and am seldom skunked. And this is not any form of bragging, but when you have 20 guys shoulder to shoulder with you and they are only catching the odd one and you are hooking up every 10 minutes or less, it says you are clearly doing something right. You can visually watch the fish turn from your neighbors bait (same as yours) and pick up someone's who is running light lead. I know that in some river situations you can get away with murder, I've seen guys take steel with straight braid and have been like "seriously?" In faster water I'm convinced that the initial strike is almost always instinct. But in slower clear water I think the fish has a few seconds to analyze the presentation, and you can make it that much more natural with finicky precision. I'm not trying to argue just stating what I have figured out over the years, maybe I'm dead wrong but it has proven successful for me more then once.

Here's a picture of one of the bows I caught in my younger years in said spot using 7x 2 pound floro. Kept her for the table.

Posted Image

#20 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Two pound test leaders kill trout , so you better keep them all. Fish build up lactic acid during prolonged fights , which leads to their death , even if you take the time to revive the fish and it swims off briskly it will die in the next couple of days. People that fish for numbers using two pound test destroy the fishery for the rest of us.