• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

We should get some MNR input on that, bows are one of the hardiest fish in the world, that's why they can live in subzero temps and in small stocked ponds that get up to 85 degrees in the summer. They beat the piss out of themselves to spawn and still make it back to the lake. I'm sure trying to jump a waterfall for days straight is a lot harder on them then a 15 minute fight.

#22 Guest_Blair_*

Guest_Blair_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

We should get some MNR input on that, bows are one of the hardiest fish in the world, that's why they can live in subzero temps and in small stocked ponds that get up to 85 degrees in the summer. They beat the piss out of themselves to spawn and still make it back to the lake. I'm sure trying to jump a waterfall for days straight is a lot harder on them then a 15 minute fight.

Catch & Release (Best Practices) & Follow the Regulations
Other than that .... to each their own!

*SMILES*

- Barbless Hooks (always a great idea as well)

#23 Majstor

Majstor

VIP Pro Staff

• Active Members
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

think i've only used 2lb test on resident fish and those little guys are around 12 inches. It's better to have stronger leader for steelhead exactly the reason u mentioned. stuff they go thru to spawn already has a toll on them, u playin a fish for 15 min on 2lb leader is a death sentence.

#24 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

I beg to differ, there's a stocked pond down the road from my old house and I've been catching the same 50 fish for the last 5 years lol. We can all argue with each other and we can all be righteous in our own mind, I just really don't see how putting pressure with eight or six pound test in a five minute fight is any worse then playing them lightly on 2 pound.

#25 emanthebassman

emanthebassman

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hit the credit today the water was fast flowing and high but thankfully it was not muddy... figured that being the case then it should good fishing to be had..
1hour nothing happening, another 1/2 hr goes by and with the same result, heck did I misread the water condition. Now I was really beginning to wonder maybe I should just pack it up and head home...Posted Image But no I'm determined to prove myself wrong so I head downstream for a go in one of my favourite spots. first drift nothing, five drifts later wham.... fish on, yes now I'm getting somewhere..Posted Image feeling good now, but that was short lived couple head shakes and it was off.. OK no problem at least now I know there in there... Another 20 mins goes by and whamo another one on... OK so now I was going to take it easy an play this baby out...5 min still on....10 min still at it but it looked like I was finally getting the upper handPosted Image crap spoke to soon just before I could beach this baby it took another head shake and pop wet the 3lb leader...Posted ImagePosted Image
Crap...Crap..Crap....
Well needless to say that was the last hookup and after another hour decided I had enough and it time to head home for a hot bath and some hot food...
Well today the steel head got the better of me, but then there's always tomorrow...Posted Image
Already tied up 30 bags and rearing to go...come on morning...hahaha
This is a true story no fish was harmed in the making... to be continued....Posted ImagePosted Image

nicely done. so no tips on what color the roe bag was how earlly in the day..
but alone a nice story .
i hope i have one like that this couple off days off work.
maybe sunday morning lower duffins. ive never been to credit river. the rive is pretty long and havent really googled it much.

#26 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:20 AM

Some guys here are daft next thing they'll be saying is steelhead are the same as atlantics and we catch them all the time.....thicker mil means more drag on your presentation making it appear unnatural but pls by all means run what you do in the GTA i love smashing up your guys tribs. Oh and i land many of my big steel in under 5min on 3lb im sure over ten yrs of steelheading and thousands of fish plays some role......ask salmo about us playing out 30 pound chinnies on four...when ifight a fish there is no slacking i know what its like when a guy plays a fish for 20min when there is ten guys waiting to drift. They either kick my ass or see the bank.......but what do i know i dont run a kp lol. Stay tuned GBD is coming to a creek near you.

#27 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

You need to read the thread " Make Sense" at www,floatfishing.net in the Anything and Everything section. After you educate yourself you won't use 2 pound test unless your after perch..

#28 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

You need to read the thread " Make Sense" at www,floatfishing.net in the Anything and Everything section. After you educate yourself you won't use 2 pound test unless your after perch..

What's your name on FFnet Staff?
I've been contributing to that debacle Posted Image

#29 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Floatboard is old hat....i have fished with float down at cw and seen him horse 12 lb silver chinnies on the light stuff up here if you dont run .20 you dont get bit. As for educating yourself arent you the same guy who asked if there was steelhead still around back in november????well sir yes they are there all through ice up if fishing for winter beaters and fighting weakened fish is your game. Personally i perfer fresh run chrome which should be in swinging on the next full moon.

#30 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

See you all real soon

#31 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hey man, to each his own, lol. Unfortunately for you, you don't know what you're talking about. Who said I was catching 8 - 12 pound river running steel on 2 pound??? These fish i was refering to are open water hatchery tards, 2 - 5 lbs fish. With the rare, and i do mean RARE wild fish showing up.I was using 3.3 lbs yesterday on steel and bringing them in just as quick as other guys running straight 8, only difference? I hooked up a lot more. Lol. You know what the biggest problem with our fishery is??? Guys like you who stick there noses up at everything they don't see suiting to there utmost beyond logical standards. Just because you read an article from an individual who has different opinions, doesn't mean it's true does it??? If you're so worried about the fish people catch, throw on your scuba gear and go ask the fish "hey... Are you okay? Did you build up lactic acid??? Do we need to take you to the hospital???" I mean come on man. Do you honestly think that If fish almost guaranteed die after prolonged fights, you wouldn't see a bunch belly up at the tail of a pool, or floating to the surface struggling like they do when they're injured??? The worste part about your statements... Is if you're so concerned about it... What's the point of fishing? Have you ever broke one off? Has one ever wrapped itself around a tree? Have you ever snapped the line because the line was down it's throat? If you're that worried about fish dying... Stop fishing!

#32 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

IMO the only way to save the fishery is for everyone to quit fishing....lol so who's with me.... lol I'm out
instead lets all go do some catch and release hunting

I believe in every situation there are good and bad out come. Get the fish in as fast as possible and let them go for the most part. Sh it just driving to the river harms the fishery in a way or even driving to work.

#33 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

IMO the only way to save the fishery is for everyone to quit fishing....lol so who's with me.... lol I'm out
instead lets all go do some catch and release hunting

I believe in every situation there are good and bad out come. Get the fish in as fast as possible and let them go for the most part. Sh it just driving to the river harms the fishery in a way or even driving to work.

Every little bit helps FHs--but we all have to do a little bit, not just leave it to the altruists
Posted Image

#34 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Very well said CC. And I'm going to make a safe assumption and say that true stealheaders go above and beyond the needs of our resources, picking up garbage, informing people of poor fish handling methods, kicking snaggers out of spots, etc... Im just really getting sick of seeing a select few on this site pick apart everything they dont see as acceptable. In the words of NOFX... "who the $&@# are you to judge me?"

#35 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

Every little bit helps FHs--but we all have to do a little bit, not just leave it to the altruists
Posted Image

had to google "altruists" I believe your right every little bit helps. But sometimes people take it too far i.e fishing two pound leader, or never keeping any fish. sometimes or most of the time humanity takes either one extreme or the other, there never seems to be a perfect balance.

#36 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

In the words of NOFX... "who the $&@# are you to judge me?"

nice name drop

#37 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

Just to remind people what truly harms a steelhead population in a particular creek,

I'm sure most anglers have heard stories about creeks where property owners with land surrounding a creek have created obstructions for migrating trout and used this to net fish. Even if you haven't heard of this type of practice, you don't have to stretch your imagination too far to see that this has likely occurred on many of our favourite creeks. If someone nets dozens or hundreds of trout, that is going to seriously impact the population.

Life is too short for bickering! Remember that there are greater forces at play determining the state of our fisheries, than the thickness of ones lines or the number of times per year you keep a fish for lunch. The Great Lakes are only 10,000 years old. We are depleting non-renewable resources on this planet at an alarming rate and we are overpopulating and polluting the land and ignoring the need for sustainable living.

Sure, rehabilitation and stocking efforts seem to be done in vain if fishing regulations are not adhered to. Bickering on a forum or telling someone off at the water is counter productive in my opinion. Much greater ROI on your time and effort if you join a volunteer group that helps stocking or watershed maintenance and tackle some of the higher stakes variables.

#38 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

In the words of NOFX... "who the $&@# are you to judge me?"

It's not over until the fat lady sings, or is that fat Mike?

#39 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

It's not over until the fat lady sings, or is that fat Mike?

Hahaha, fat mike definatley!

#40 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

Salmo we got off on the wrong foot....i can tell ur heart is in the right place.....this year lets fight the snaggers and not each other.