• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

The DNR of the state of Michigan isn't afraid of these asian carp. In fact seems to me to be quite the opposite. Read this.
Asian carp stocking

#2 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:17 AM

The DNR of the state of Michigan isn't afraid of these asian carp. In fact seems to me to be quite the opposite. Read this.
Asian carp stocking

Sorry HC. I can't get on board with this at all. I can see no good coming of this idea. Introducing an invasive fish to waters inhabited by native species of fish and wild life. NO!!
We have seen what can happen when invasive fish are introduced into new habitats. They destroy them, they alter them forever. Native fish disappear, the ecosystems of entire bodies of water change. I know you fish carp Lorne as I am trying to learn. But carp have altered entire watersheds and changed things forever that cannot be undone. Of course the base cause of all this is man, some of it has been incidental, I don't think man purposely put gobies into the Great Lakes. Or zebra mussels. My personal favorite fish has been chased away, man brought Rainbow and Brown Trout to the small streams and rivers of Ontario. A place where they had never been found before. A century ago Rainbows where not found east of the Rockies and Browns were not found in North America at all.
It becomes very interesting, people don't want "less desirable species" ruining their waters and their more "desirable species."
My desired species is Brook Trout, but the introduced Rainbows and Browns( less desirable species.) Have taken over much of the Brookies habitat as they are hardier fish and can withstand more of the pressures created by man and they successfully out compete the Speck for food and their native habitat.
Funny thing is, having made it well know that I fish Brookies and know where they can be found in a few places here in S. On. still, on various forums I am a member of. I get almost daily PMs asking where I can direct people to fish for Brookies. The desirable species it seems.

Alfie.

#3 tangledline

tangledline

Perch

• Active Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

thankyou for your research and for sharing this news hammercarp

are the people making these decisions !!!!!!!!!!!!! insane

the phrase "humans are a virus" applies to the ecological mess we are creating doing things like this.

i will inform my friends in michigan to file a complaint....on deaf and ignorant ears and minds.

i feel physically ill right now with frustration.

#4 tangledline

tangledline

Perch

• Active Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

the above movie makes me too angry to politely express my views .....yet they are killing
a fish species that i fear to have in the great lakes as far as the ecological changes they will make to the lakes.
i would rather have those people killed than the fish.
remember your place among all living beings.

#5 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

the above movie makes me too angry to politely express my views .....yet they are killing
a fish species that i fear to have in the great lakes as far as the ecological changes they will make to the lakes.
i would rather have those people killed than the fish.
remember your place among all living beings.

Agreed tangledline. Is what these guys are doing even remotely legal? You hear of dumbasses getting busted all the time for posting things they did on the internet. These guys made another video where they are making "carpcakes" and their faces are clearly visible. Surely some type of crime has been committed here.

Alfie.

#6 hammercarp

hammercarp

Perch

• Active Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have decided to send a letter to the ministry regarding this matter. Here is a copy.

To the Honourable Michael Gravelle, Ministry of Natural Resources.

Dear Mike

I am a long time angler and hunter here in Ontario, as well as being a member in good standing in the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters. I am also a chairman of the Carp Anglers Group . I have just finished reading an article from the State of Michigan regarding Asian carp. I have attached a link to that article. It was written in a very reputable news paper.
I would like to propose that Ontario do something similar.
Here is my proposal.
Large quantities of live Asian carp can be shipped here from the Mississippi system in the United States. They can be stocked in specific lakes and or ponds here. Only really big fish should be imported.
These chosen bodies of water should be totaly isolated so that no live carp can escape. Or we could put them in Cootes Paradise where through the magic of the RBG only very specific species of fish are allowed in or out of the marsh. We all know they are 100% successful in keeping common carp out of the marsh. But anyways getting back to my proposal. These chosen bodies of water would have to be fenced in and large parking lots built adjacent to the entrance.
What would happen next is based on proven free market principles. We would use these lakes as " free market" fisheries or free fire zones if you will.The eager fishermen would be allowed in through a gated fence. Prior to entry, each person would have to sign a waiver absolving the province and the MNR of any liabilities due to accidents , mishaps or other assorted mayhem that may occur. I am sure we can get a group of lawyers to consult on this and write it up . For a fee of course. They should have one done promptly in, say a decade or so.
There would be no fees for parking or entrance into the lake/pond.
Basically the fishermen would be allowed to get as many of these magnificent giants as they can . The methods for taking fish would include just about anything. Spearing, speargunning snagging, bowfishing, gaffing, shooting, noodling ( see attached link of YouTube video) , small explosive charges ( under a 1/2 stick of Dynamite) would all be okay. No nets allowed, though I realize this is contrary to " free market" principles currently in vogue. The net ban would prevent some one from bringing in a net large enough to completely sweep the lake clean in one shot.This would then require an immediate response or bailout by our government. Not much fun in that as we all know.
Boats would be allowed, if the fisherman can drag them into the lake by hand as all parking would be outside the fenced in area. They would have to come out at the end of the day as well. These lakes would only be open during daylight hours afterwhich of course the dogs would be set loose inside the fence. There would be no emegency services provided inside the fenced in area. No police, no CO's, ambulances , fire trucks etc.
The lucky fishermen who managed to subdue one of these leviathans by clubbing. shooting. impaling, beating, concussing one or more, would be allowed to take his prize home to be disposed of as he saw fit.
The cost of running these facilities would , of course be paid for by anglers and hunters through an additional fee on their licenses. The grumblings of a few malcontents over this increase in license fees would soon be silenced when the benifits are pointed out to them.
These lakes would bleed off enormous numbers of red neck idiots, loogans ( not sure if I spelled this right or even what it means ), citiots and " white bucket" brigaders. Since they never buy licences any way there would be no loss of revenue to the province.
This would greatly enhance the quality of the angling experience for the rest of the angling public. The effect would be most notable during the salmon run. The amounts of garbage, fish carcasses, discarded fishing line would all be reduced. This would also have a positive effect on the number of fights, stabbings, " nipper tippings" and other forms of violence that take place every year on and around our waters. The number of tresspassing complaints would go down as well.
I am sure a great ad campaign could be run informing/indoctrinating the public to the benifits of this scheme.
I am willing to act as a paid consultant for this project. My fees would be in line with other consultants hired by the province.
Yours truly
Lorne Morley

So, whatcha think guys. Great idea eh.

#7 tangledline

tangledline

Perch

• Active Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

hammercarp....i have the biggest smile on my face right now.....my minds racing at the endless possibilities of your ideas.....love the idea!

your fishing buddies must enjoy their conversations with you as much as the fishing they do.

i respect your ideals, logic, intelligence.

ethically i feel terrible that a few asian carp would be injured perhaps even killed.

a few sacrificed to save countless fish of many species

all the people killed in this endevour by misadventure ......priceless

another idea...reality tv....

we need to save the cbc ...we could have a reality fishing tv show...part ufc //part fishing//part jersey shore//part mad max/roadwarrior
all based in the fishing octagons you mentioned..hosted by don cherry...sell the cbc made for tv fishing show to national us networks .

my laughter over your ideas has aided my anger mgmt. over the anger i felt about the intial news articles......thankyou!!!

#8 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

h
another idea...reality tv....

I'd watch it, if it meant saving the great lakes! hahahah =D

#9 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

I'm quite happy those guys got hit in the nuts a couple times. Served them right!! I understand it's a problem there, but thats not humane at all!! And I wish I could do that those guys in the video!!

Ohh man...that was an amazing read there!!

#10 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

Did the current asian carp problem not start as a result of isolated populations escaping??? Clearly the DNR in Michigan needs some new leadership.

Also is it terrible that I was laughing out loud during that entire video?

#11 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

Did the current asian carp problem not start as a result of isolated populations escaping??? Clearly the DNR in Michigan needs some new leadership.

Also is it terrible that I was laughing out loud during that entire video?

yes your right! many years ago one person thought it would be a good fish to help clear out al gee build up in his private pond and or lake, i be leave it was near the Mississippi river, after much flooding the carp made there way into the wild, and have spread to lake Michigan, same as snake heads.

but in contrast to his situation, if we look at lake Ontario, and the population of pacific salmon, its some what the same thing. the pacific salmon is not native to any great lake, it should be Atlantic's that are the native fish of the lakes, and i have never seen one in all my years, just big stinky pacific salmons. but people dont mind b/c they enjoy them so much.

#12 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

but in contrast to his situation, if we look at lake Ontario, and the population of pacific salmon, its some what the same thing. the pacific salmon is not native to any great lake, it should be Atlantic's that are the native fish of the lakes, and i have never seen one in all my years, just big stinky pacific salmons. but people dont mind b/c they enjoy them so much.

Yes the salmon we see are pacific salmon! I said that a few months ago and people thought I was CRAZY hahahah. "Oh how can they climb the mountains!" "I don't know any streams that connect Lake O and the Pacific" LOL

#13 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yes but the difference between Pacific Salmon and Asian Carp is that Pacific Salmon populations dont suddenly explode, they need yearly stocking projects to keep their numbers up. Remove any limits or seasons on the salmon and stop the stocking and they will likely disappear in a decade.

#14 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:44 AM

Yes but the difference between Pacific Salmon and Asian Carp is that Pacific Salmon populations dont suddenly explode, they need yearly stocking projects to keep their numbers up. Remove any limits or seasons on the salmon and stop the stocking and they will likely disappear in a decade.

that is true! but what predators does the salmon run into in the great lakes? other then people? if people stopped fishing for them, stopped pouching them and stopped damaging the rivers in witch they spawn, i would think there numbers would explode after 5 years. to the point where it could become a problem.... and as of right now, not to many people are catching alot of Asian carp, disturbing there habitat and destroying there spawning grounds..

we "humans" are probably the best way to destroy any natural thing on this earth, or we have to choice to save and protect all types of natural thing in this world. as for the Asian carp, we know its out of control, but yet we have no real need for these fish, there for we dont invade, or infringe on there life cycles...

maybe we could find a new species to introduce that will give the Asian carp so real competition for life in our lakes...

#15 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

importing species as a means to control another has always proved to be a risk....for example chinook salmon were introduced to help control alewife populations in lake ontario and we almost lost our atlantic salmon population