• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

I don't know how many times people have told me that lake trout fishing starts to slow down in February up here. I have always thought different. For you brave souls that went out yesterday I hope you had as much fun as I did. Whipping winds and -12 makes for aggravating conditions. started out drilling three holes parallel with each other 3 feet apart, the center one being for my fish finder. I threw down some salted minnows and then wached them drop to the bottom on my screen. As the last few were sinking a fish rose off bottom. Put a big minnow down and as soon as it hit bottom, wham. Three fish in 20 minutes. My buddy came out to join me and we just shared the one rod, never ended up putting the other one down, ended up with five and lost one in an hour and a half. Kept two for the table. Gotta love hardwater!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the report, sounds like an awesome outing. Cool pics.

Are minnows generally more effective than lures for hardwater lakers?

#3 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Great post...nice catches...
How deep were you fishing for them?

#4 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yah I never really jig, some of the guys I fish with do, but I've only seen it out produce live shivers on a few occasions. I usually put one big minnow down about 2 feet off bottom, then a pin head right on bottom with a free sliding egg sinker with a small split shot in front of it towards the hook. This rig is amazing for white fish and finicky trout. I was in 40 fow.

#5 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

wtg man nice markings on those fish......you chum them too?

#6 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Nice sized lakers Float D--beauty

#7 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

Nice Fish!

#8 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:41 AM

Are your fish up there orange or white on the inside

#9 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

Are your fish up there orange or white on the inside

The ones out of Lake Joe and Rosseau are orange.........

#10 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

The bigger ones are an off yellow but the smaller ones are usually bright orange.

#11 walleyepro1

walleyepro1

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Sweet nice job guy's.

#12 mudpuppy

mudpuppy

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

I've caught both white and orange fleshed trout out of Lake Joe as well. Nice catch!

Mudpuppy

#13 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

The funny part is that this isn't one of the big three lakes, everyone pounds Joe and rosseau but there are so many lakes up here that have piles of lakers and a very small fraction of pressure in comparison!

#14 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Joe, Ross and Muskoka Lake do get fished Hard in the Winter, but its becuz they are so Large and the Fish in them can get huge, 35 POunds HUge. and yes there are MANY other Lake Trout Lakes Around as well,

Portage Lake is connected to Joe via a Channal and its open all Year for Lakers
Silver Lake JUST north past Portage, Open all year as well

Crane and Blackstone are under fished for Lakers, most ppl fish them for Walleye, Pike and musky

#15 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

My 2011 Lake trout, around 5 pounds.jpg 9 lb trout jpeg.JPG Sams lake trout 2011.jpg

the 2 picture on Ice are Trout from Joe both caught the same day. Mine was 5 pounds and Sams was alittle under 4 Pounds.

The other trout pic in a Bathroom, was caught on an other inland lake it was 9 pounds

#16 hunted84

hunted84

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Nice fish !

#17 SmackUm

SmackUm

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Nice pics of the Muskoka area Float down....I'll add some pics of icefishing for Brook Trout on Thunder Bay , District Stocked Lakes again thanks for sharing! :grin:

#18 redneckchromer

redneckchromer

Perch

• Active Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Joe, Ross and Muskoka Lake do get fished Hard in the Winter, but its becuz they are so Large and the Fish in them can get huge, 35 POunds HUge. and yes there are MANY other Lake Trout Lakes Around as well,

Portage Lake is connected to Joe via a Channal and its open all Year for Lakers and Stocked with I believe 1200 Fingerlings ayear.

Silver Lake JUST north past Portage, Open all year and Stocked with 800 fingerlings every 2 years

Crane and Blackstone are under fished for Lakers, most ppl fish them for Walleye, Pike and musky

this should get edited. posting stocking numbers in a small backlake is even worse than saying where you caught steelhead from IMO, lake o has enough fish to go around, these lakes dont, poor lake, stocking isnt even that impressive either lol

#19 AnglerAnonymous

AnglerAnonymous

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Nice fish bro! Keep it up!

#20 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

this should get edited. posting stocking numbers in a small backlake is even worse than saying where you caught steelhead from IMO, lake o has enough fish to go around, these lakes dont, poor lake, stocking isnt even that impressive either lol

I made the changes to that original post. thought about it and you have a good point, but I do not believe in hiding my knowleage of lakes from People. and besides with the New *fish-online* site on the MNRs homepage anyone can look up and search for lakes that are stocked with Trout and even Walleye. And there are many lakes that state what fish are in the lake.