• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

I was on an MNR site last night that when you clicked on a lake it displayed some stats about it including the sport fish in contained. The site noted there are Black Crappie in Lake Muskoka, Lake Rosseau and Lake Joseph. Ive fished all three for years and have never seen or heard of anyone catching Crappie in these lakes. Can anyone confirm the fact?

#2 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Have you heard of lake trout or whitefish there? My buddy was heading to Joseph on Monday.

#3 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Have you heard of lake trout or whitefish there? My buddy was heading to Joseph on Monday.

There are plenty of Lake Trout in all three lakes. Also apparently Whitefish, but I have never fished for them or would know where to go. These are huge lakes if you have never been here. Rosseau and Lake Joe are probably the most accessible to walk out. If you have an ATV or Snowmobile, they are all good. Have heard there is still open water on all three so be careful. Trout have been taken mostly on minnows this year. If you have any maps of the lakes just look for humps and points rising out of deep water and fish in the 40'-100' range.

#4 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thank you.

#5 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

I was on an MNR site last night that when you clicked on a lake it displayed some stats about it including the sport fish in contained. The site noted there are Black Crappie in Lake Muskoka, Lake Rosseau and Lake Joseph. Ive fished all three for years and have never seen or heard of anyone catching Crappie in these lakes. Can anyone confirm the fact?

I believe that these fish are more commonly called rock bass and you catch plenty of them.

#6 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

ar u on drugs spinning? som stuff you say is out to lunch bro.

#7 Float down

Float down

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

... There is no way you just said that...

#8 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

xactly y 80% of fish r caught by 30% of guys

#9 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

ar u on drugs spinning? som stuff you say is out to lunch bro.

Drifter, you are correct that I am out to lunch on this one! I stand corrected........do you know where I can get some more meds? lol

#10 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

Hope there's no hard feelings.....just sayin. Crappies are an under rated sportfish and can be quite challenging to locate and get to bite. Havent fished the big three much J but have caught them suspended over 50+ fow usually somewhere about halfway down

#11 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Hope there's no hard feelings.....just sayin. Crappies are an under rated sportfish and can be quite challenging to locate and get to bite. Havent fished the big three much J but have caught them suspended over 50+ fow usually somewhere about halfway down

No problem!
I have a cottage in muskoka and back in the 70's some one to put rock bass in our lake and for years, all that you could catch were rock bass. They completely took over from the small, largemouth and perch we had in the lake. So needless to say, I am not very fond of them.

#12 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

Drifter, you are correct that I am out to lunch on this one! I stand corrected........do you know where I can get some more meds? lol

Early onset of alzheimers

Posted ImagePosted Image

We're all headed the Spin, no worries brother!!

#13 georgianbaydrifter

georgianbaydrifter

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Crappies are destructive, colonizing little buggers too. Back in the day i remember seeing them on invasive species watchlist....that along with fishing pressure really had the walleye on the ropes throughout central ontario.

#14 Spinninreel

Spinninreel

Piscicapturist

• Active Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Early onset of alzheimers

Posted ImagePosted Image

We're all headed the Spin, no worries brother!!

\you got Chrome. My head is a spinninnreel. LOL :lol:

#15 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

I live near teh town Of MacTier, with is right by Lake Joe, its a 5 min drive, I have not heard of anyone getting Crappie on Joe, Muskoka or Ross.

Now there are afew other lakes in the Area with Crappie in them, the Most populer is Healy Lake where there at one time was 2lbs crappies being caught BUT then everyone and there uncle came and fished the lake out,

This year on Dollor Bay, a Large side bay off Healy Lake, I only got 30 Crappie all winter and only kept 6 with 10 perch for a mall meal, teh largest Crappie I seem caught was only 10" and it was the only "LARGE" one I seen.

theres afew others in the Area, but I keep my spots for me and My close friends.

#16 J'snest

J'snest

Sunfish

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

I live near teh town Of MacTier, with is right by Lake Joe, its a 5 min drive, I have not heard of anyone getting Crappie on Joe, Muskoka or Ross.

Now there are afew other lakes in the Area with Crappie in them, the Most populer is Healy Lake where there at one time was 2lbs crappies being caught BUT then everyone and there uncle came and fished the lake out,

This year on Dollor Bay, a Large side bay off Healy Lake, I only got 30 Crappie all winter and only kept 6 with 10 perch for a mall meal, teh largest Crappie I seem caught was only 10" and it was the only "LARGE" one I seen.

theres afew others in the Area, but I keep my spots for me and My close friends.

Thanks for the information and I understand your reluctants as well. If you post it here you may end up with another Healy Lake. If I hear of a spot I'll send you a PM.

#17 Igor

Igor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

I live near Parry Sound and those lakes do have them just have to find them just not in abundance likes some lakes..and I have heard from reliable sources some getting some nice ones in Lake Rosseau for sure as for Healy lake the Crappie are there just fine I only went there 3 times this year and we caught more then 30 in one day there...the next time out there we only got 16 but I was with mostly kids so more missed or lost fish then caught ones.and the last time 26..this season the weather wasn,t the norm and when this happens fish seem to do different things...you just need to move around like they do sometimes...
p.s SPINNERREEL.>> Rock Bass and Crappie are two different kind of fish totaly for them releasing the rock bass in that lake "rumour", not reality. Rock Bass are native to pretty much every lake in this region the Crappie on the other hand well that could be the story of someone releasing them but I hear the same story about this lake and the next about how the Crappies came to be in this region ...but its always some yankee who had a cottage brought them up and released them in the lake for years...back in the day same story on my lake too which has some descent Crappie fishing now...

#18 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

I heard Crappies wher not native to the inland lakes only in teh G-Bay till they where illegal Stocked inland many Years ago. Not sure if thats true or not.

On a Side note I had a Great Jumbo Perch Spot, 14" Perch where the Norm, 16" Perch Where Big for this Backwoods Marsh Chain, but I estamate by the size of the Bass and Crappie someone illegaly stocked Bass and Crappie in teh Marsh Chain about 4 years ago, Last summer I did not even Get 1 Perch out of the marsh, I did Get 3 Bass over 4 Pounds though and 2 Crappie Over 1.5 pounds. Now I coudl see teh Crappie Stocking but there is Bass in Every Lake up here why bass

Its very sad, I only KNow the Perch where in they Becuz my Dad told me. HIm and my Grandfather used to walk back the Old Trail and fish it back when he was a Boy in 1960's, very sad that the Perch are gone now,

#19 Liger

Liger

Sunfish

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

sam w my crappie.jpg

Just found this old picture on my computer, its from afew years ago, maybe 2010, on Dollor bay, Healy Lake. its my friend Sam holding up are largest Crappie of the Day a 14" Slab, all others where under 10" though, I sent them all Hoem with her since her Father had not had a feed of Crappies in liek 10 years.

AS I stated somwhere else on teh forum, maybe even higher on this topic, the crappie fishing in Healy has gone downhill, but then again Crappies can make a comeback very fast, hopfully they do cuz they are a nice eatting fish.

#20 grubman

grubman

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Just the topic of crappies caught will doom them. Too many people are using the forum to find out where the crappies are and take every one they can catch no matter what size. If you're catching them great, if you know places that have them even better but crappy locations should be treated as rainbows or be even more secretive, between members only in PMs. I don't mind saying crappies are in Rice Lake only b/c Rice is a tough lake to find and you'll need a boat. But mention any other lake and you can be sure within a few years the population will dramatically decrease. Just look at the posts to views ratio. Salmon Insanity also applies to crappies.