• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Sooo I keep hearing everyone talk about float rods and centerpin reels. These ALLLL look a lot like fly rods and fly reels. I would love to know the difference here. I did take up fly fishing last spring. Thanks!!!!

#2 manitoubass2

manitoubass2

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

I'd like to know this as well, lol.

On another board I congratulated someone on a great catch/photo, and commented on the fly reel. Hyyyuge mistake apparently, as I then got blasted about 10 times for calling a center pin a fly reel, hahaha.

But honestly, I have no idea what the differences are???

I think a fly reel has a drag, where as the centerpin is free spooling???

Or am I way off?

#3 NOTTA STEELER

NOTTA STEELER

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

I'd like to know this as well, lol.

On another board I congratulated someone on a great catch/photo, and commented on the fly reel. Hyyyuge mistake apparently, as I then got blasted about 10 times for calling a center pin a fly reel, hahaha.

But honestly, I have no idea what the differences are???

I think a fly reel has a drag, where as the centerpin is free spooling???

Or am I way off?

Centrepin is made of aluminum and has no drag , just a clicker to stop the spool from freely unwinding. You basically brake with your hand , fingers which ever.
A nice smooth spin with bearings in the centre hub gives a perfect presentation drifting your float in the current , and reeling in is a one to one retrieve.
You'll have to get a fly fisherman to answer the fly reel question . Centrepin basically equals float fishing .

#4 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Okay, and what is float fishing? lol.

Thanks for that info!! :)

#5 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Fly reels do look like Centre pin reels. A Fly Reel is to basically holds your backing,fly line and leader. You have to pull line off the reel as you prepare to cast your line. I think that all fly reels come with some sort of Drag to help ,when you need it, to land large fish. A centre pin reel is designed to allow your line to peel off as your float drifts down stream. to do this with a fly reel you would have to constantly pull line from the reel. With a CP You act as the drag by applying pressure to the edge of the spool. there are a few CP reels with drags, but not many. I would say that the free spooling aspect of CP reels would constitute the biggest difference between the two types of reels. With fly reels the weight of the line is what allows you to cast, where as the float and the split shot under your float allows a centre pinner to cast.

#6 manitoubass2

manitoubass2

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Awesome info guys, thanks for that.

Looks like I have alot to learn before I hit some tribs, lol

#7 NOTTA STEELER

NOTTA STEELER

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Okay, and what is float fishing? lol.

Thanks for that info!! :)

#8 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

This is a basic rig for float fishing , [attachment=9100:RigSetup.jpg]

There is something wrong with that picture... the float should be submerged and a fish at the end of the line.

#9 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

I have used a somehow different setup. Two split shots right below the float, two above the swivel, and two half way in the leader (leader of ~ 15 inches). Less work and great results. I have seen people having just a big split shot between float and bait and that has also worked fine

#10 NOTTA STEELER

NOTTA STEELER

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

There is something wrong with that picture... the float should be submerged and a fish at the end of the line.

#11 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

This is a basic rig for float fishing , [attachment=9100:RigSetup.jpg]

Ohhhhhhh....so it's kinda like fishing with a bobber on your line, but the rod and reel is totally different set up. I hope that doesn't offend anyone me saying that lol. This seems like something I may have to look into taking up. My fly reel that I go with my kit, the drag broke on it, so I could always try and use that as my float reel :idea: lol.

Thanks everyone for you input here on this. Now I and the others who didn't know will have a better an idea what a centerpin reel is, and what float fishing consists of for the basics. :smile:

(I'm a Perch now!!!!! :) )

#12 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

LOL. No bobbers are used Porter, bobbers are for young children. In float fishing, floats, also known as strike indicators are used. Lets be politically correct OK. :lol: .

Alfie.

#13 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

I have used a somehow different setup. Two split shots right below the float, two above the swivel, and two half way in the leader (leader of ~ 15 inches). Less work and great results. I have seen people having just a big split shot between float and bait and that has also worked fine

Different shotting patterns are used for different river conditions and sizes. What you are describing is something similar to what i would use in the saugeen if it was high and dirty with a bunch of shots right above the swivel. The only time I would ever use shots underneath a float is if I needed to have more weight on my line so I can cast farther which would require a heavier float and extra weights. In all other situations it is best to match the float size to the amount of weight you need to make an authentic presentation.

#14 ChaseChrome

ChaseChrome

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

It's covered...
A "decent" centre-pin costs about as much as a good fly reel but with no drag.

It's tax time and I'm gettin antsy....

#15 Porter86

Porter86

Perch

• Active Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Thanks guys for all your input!! Really appreciate it lol.

I knew i was gunna get a comment for calling it a bobber haha :P